GASC 64 vs Josh Smith JS 1250 in a Silverface Deluxe

BigTwangTheory

TDPRI Member
I've played both in similar set ups. Like both a lot. I'm always playing an old school Tele type guitar running the gambit between classic country and classic rock. Lots of hybrid picking. Mild to medium dirt and a touch each of reverb and delay. I have an Allen Accomplice Jr upped to 35 watts, (6l6s beefier transformer, like a pro reverb I think), that has replaced my deluxe for bar gigs. Currently have Red White and Blues speakers in both amps. I love em at gig volume but the deluxe is mostly going to rehearsals these days and the RW&B sounds a little raw and rough at that volume.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I dont know the JS 1250, but the GA SC64 is nice in a Deluxe and should be more toneful at lower volumes than the RW&B. I like the RW&B but they do need to be pushed to sound great.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
If I may suggest an alternative - the Mojotone Greyhound is a great option if you like the RWB but want more touch sensitivity and liveliness at all volumes. I used to use the RWBs in a bunch of amps and loved them, but the Greyhounds improved on all the little shortcomings I had with the RWB. The Greyhounds have a lot of the clarity and bloom that I love in my Weber 12F50's.

swampash

Tele-Meister
I'm looking an Eminence GA SC64 for my 1961 Ampeg M-12. Currently running a 1957 Jensen P12P original cone and sounds great. I won't sell it unless I absolutely love the Eminence. Just exploring the possibilities. I like comparing speakers. Anyone try one in an old Ampeg?

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
I posted in another thread about running an Alessandro GASC64 and a Josh Smith 1250 together in my ‘71 Pro Reverb.

I am very familiar with the GASC64 having these in two different BFDR’s, in one SFDR, and I had the 10” GASC64 in a SFVR.

The GASC64 sounds amazing in a Deluxe Reverb. I have no experience in the JS1250, but from what I read, it should complement the Alessandro well.

I’ll be buying both speakers soon.

Last edited:

BigTwangTheory

TDPRI Member
I posted in another thread about running an Alessandro GASC64 and a Josh Smith 1250 together in my ‘71 Pro Reverb.

I am very familiar with the GASC64 having these in two different BFDR’s, one SFDR, and the 10” version in a SFVR.

The GASC64 sounds amazing in a Deluxe Reverb. I have no experience in the JS1250, but from what I read, it should complement the Alessandro well.

I’ll be buying both speakers soon.
Cool. I hope you will comment on this thread when you get them. I'm jealous a little envious of your 71 Pro. Killer amp.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Cool. I hope you will comment on this thread when you get them. I'm jealous a little envious of your 71 Pro. Killer amp.
Thanks, I sold my ‘67 Vibrolux Reverb after buying the Pro Reverb. I have already had it serviced and BF modded.

I swapped out the original silver faceplate because it was in such bad condition. Funny, because the rest of the amp was dirty, but otherwise in really good condition. I went with a black faceplate because I could not find a replacement silver one. The amp cleaned up pretty well.

128D0959-89AC-419E-B9F1-55A8C5D20E4F.jpeg

Last edited:

BigTwangTheory

TDPRI Member
Thanks, I sold my ‘67 Vibrolux Reverb after buying the Pro Reverb. I have already had it serviced and BF modded.

I swapped out the original silver faceplate because it was in such bad condition. Funny, because the rest of the amp was dirty, but otherwise in really good condition. I went with a black faceplate because I could not find a replacement silver one. The amp cleaned up pretty well.

View attachment 1035768

View attachment 1035768
Nice!

Gris

Tele-Meister
I am not a fan of the 12” GA in a single speaker combo, too much high end roll off. That being said I do run one alongside an old orig Jensen P12P in my 2x12 tweed Bassman because it sound almost identical to the P12P minus the sweet top end. No exp with the JS spkr.