1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gas vs. Electric Dryer (Laundry)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sean79, Jun 5, 2020.

1. ricardotores

ricardotores TDPRI Member

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

gas powered dryers are not powered by gasoline. the article you shared claims that, but it is not factual.

3. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

In the early '90s we bought a 1962 ranch house that had its original Maytag washer and gas dryer. When we sold the house seven years later I gave them to our next door neighbor so he could use them in one of his rental properties. I bet that dryer is still in use today. I did have to replace the belt on the dryer drum. That job took five minutes. As has already been said, a gas dryer dries more quickly than electric. We don't have a gas connection to our current home. If we did, we'd have a gas dryer today.

getbent likes this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

as a young single man, I remember going to the laundramat.... I loved the toasty smell of the gas dryers and my memory (maybe faulty) was that all laundramats used gas dryers... maybe coincidence, maybe not.

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Our last house had natural gas and a heavy duty Speed Queen that was far superior. We just bought new Maytags and the modern electric unit works better than anything I can ever recall.

Getting the Speed Queen appliances again would have been tempting if we didn't recently spend on some major home fixes and new car. Speed Queen still makes heavy duty stuff for home beyond most because they still make commercial stuff.

6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When you transport a used gas dryer, the igniter, which is fragile, can break if the dryer is jostled. The igniter is a high-resistance heating element that is flat or coiled into a cylinder and about three inches long. A replacement costs $20-45. When you press the start button, electricity energizes the igniter for several seconds before gas begins to flow. If the igniter doesn’t ignite the gas, the gas flow stops.

An igniter is fairly easy to replace, but there are several sharp pieces of sheet metal that you must squeeze your hand through to put it in place. I’ve replaced three or four igniters in my life and have shed a little blood each time.

With a new dryer, the igniter may come packed in foam so that it doesn’t break during shipping. I seemed to remember breaking one during installation.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.