1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gas vs. Electric Dryer (Laundry)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sean79, Jun 5, 2020.

1. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

i've installed 3 gas dryers & yeah there's no separate venting. definitely cheaper than electric

sean79 likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I recommend this type of clothes dryer
    [​IMG]

sean79 and skunqesh like this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have the Bowflex model

sean79 and getbent like this.
  4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

We have LP and use it for cooking and the gas clothes dryer. $240 worth of LP lasted us for a year and a half. The dryer is going on 30 years old and rusting out but still cranking.

sean79, getbent and boris bubbanov like this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Some states require a licensed plumber to do the hookup. I know Maryland does.

sean79 likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When the gas company sends a bill for a minimum of about $ 40, each month, and the only thing on your system you might use in summer, otherwise, is the washer, and so yes, that's a waste of money for four loads of wash. What I think you need, in New Orleans, is a gas powered AC unit and freezer, and then you're doing it to have access to some form of power when the storms knock out your electricity. Also, I need my tap water COOLED down there much of the time, not heated at all. If the S & WB is dispensing you 80 F water, what's the problem with washing clothes in that? Once the rationale for the gas water heater is gone, well, you know the rest.

Besides, solar and other nonconventional sorts of power are going to make an electric dryer make sense, if you're often otherwise generating more electricity than you can use. Looking at this, strictly based on head to head performance costs, is IMO not the right form of analysis these days.

sean79 likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

God Bless 'em, and I really do love Maryland, but they won't let you pull your own rotten tooth there.

:^)

Annapolis has Sacramento beat, in a number of ways.

sean79 likes this.
  8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Crab cakes, sailing.

sean79 likes this.
  9. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

You all had me talked into gas. Then we got to the used appliance store. They only had two gas dryers, and the couple who walked in at the same time we did snagged one of them. The salesman talked us out of the other - based on his perception of the brand and its repairability. That left us with either packing up and looking somewhere else, or sticking with electric. He gave us a very good deal- and a warranty. Hoping it lasts us ten years... we will see.

10. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

deleted

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    sean79 likes this.
  11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I don't trust the safety of gas .

sean79 and doctorunderhill like this.
  12. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

The energy codes in California pretty much dictate that we have to use gas for new installations. Been that way for at least 20 years. Replacements can be either.

sean79 likes this.
  13. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

after years of working in a refinery lab I will admit that for efficiency a controlled flame beats an element for heating hands down.
    but as the supply chain infrastructure ages and deteriorates you could not pay me to introduce natural gas or LPG products into my living quarters. I had too much experience dealing with the potential danger of the associated hydrocarbons even in controlled environments including explosion proof housings to even consider it-
    you would have to back waaay down to a kerosene or heavier cut- high flash points characteristics where you have to significantly elevate temperatures just to have enough vapors to support combustion- for me to rest easy having it in my home.
    a gas which is, at ambient temperature, only looking for an ignition source and is capable of blowing a 2 story brick house several hundred feet into the air?
    i'll just let the laundry drip dry.

sean79 and tery like this.
  14. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

For those who say gas is more efficient are wrong. Electric is 100% efficient. Its on or off. Gas has a combustion efficiency and will never be more than 90%, and that's only reclaiming some dissipated heat that you lose.

sean79 and tery like this.
  15. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Try telling that to the California Energy Commission or any building official in the State of California.

Btw, the same goes for space heating and water heating in California. It would be nice if things changed, but I am not holding my breath.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Don't get me going about efficiency of fossil fuel use. Just line dry. IMG_4501.JPG

getbent and tery like this.
  17. ricardotores

ricardotores TDPRI Member

I also recommend figure out the difference between gas and electric dryer...

18. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

When we put solar on the roof I told Jackie I’d get her a solar clothes dryer. You would have thought I said Hope Diamond by the smile and look in her eyes.

When I showed up with a fancy rotatable, collapsible clothes line she ever do slightly disappointed. Our old electric was dying and our electric rate was one of the highest in the country. We used it, except during inclement weather, for nearly two years until she accidentally backed over it....again making it non repairable

19. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We have a large, front load gas dryer. It works well and I like the "dry" that the gas unit provides. The "old" dryer that was in the basement before we put on our addition and got the laundry to the second floor was electric. It was a high quality unit, but took far longer to dry a load than our gas unit does now. I cannot quantify whether or not there is money savings, but I will say that our gas bills are very reasonable, given we cook with gas, heat water with gas in two tankless systems and heat our home with gas in the winter. Oh, and the whole house generator is also natural gas.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

awesome post. it helps me understand the situation better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.