1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gas vs. Electric Dryer (Laundry)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sean79, Jun 5, 2020.

1. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

We’ve always had electric dryers. As a kid, I think our dryers were always electric. Since getting married, I know we’ve only had (second hand) electric dryers. Our current dryer has gone belly up, and I don’t want to mess with fixing it anymore.

So, we’re in the market for another dryer. Mrs. 79 doesn’t need a matching set, and we’re both fine with buying used. It seems like 75 percent of the used dryers are gas.

I do have a gas line running to my basement laundry area; I’m assuming we could hook up a gas dryer. Any reason I shouldn’t switch to gas? Advantages or disadvantages? I think the exhaust gasses are just vented out with the warm damp air - same vent (I could be wrong). My vent does have a 14’ horizontal run to get outside - not sure if that matters or not.

Anyone have opinions on gas vs. electric dryers?

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think my Mom had a gas dryer when I was a kid, but we've only had electric...mostly because we moved so much gas was never a consideration. Since you already have gas, I assume you have a CO/gas alarm---that's really my only constructive input.

sean79 likes this.
  3. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

When my dryer died I was faced with the same dilemma. Always had electric but there was a gas hookup too. The salesman sold me on gas, I paid an extra $75 over a comparable electric model but in the long run I will save on energy costs.

Commodore 64, nojazzhere and sean79 like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think gas is a bit more economical. Not sure there are any huge reasons either way. My thoughts on appliances are "keep it simple" dont buy anything with too elaborate controls. But be sure to have any piping you do inspected for leaks.

nojazzhere and sean79 like this.
  5. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

Gas is way more efficient. Usually dries faster too.

Just check the venting requirements and keep the lint trap clean.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Gas. The only thing better is line dry.

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Never had a gas hookup, but after my 4th dryer I bought used died ( always motor. I've fixed belts, bearings, thermostats, and pulleys, but motors cost as much as another used dryer) we bought a new one with a warranty. It has to last a decade of $120 used dryers to be worth it.

From what I've heard, the stigma associated with gas is BS, as most dryer fires are from negligence with electric ones. Go with what fits your budget.

sean79 likes this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I have always, if my memory hasn't failed me again, had electric. Have an electric here and it's only a few years old. when this one goes the way of the Dodo I'm seriously considering a propane one.
    No natural gas here

When we went solar I told Jackie I'd get her a solar clothes dryer. She was excited until I came home with a clothes line contraption. We used it for a couple of years only using the electric when necessary. She backed into it once and I fixed it. She hit it again and that was the end of that.

9. sean79

Thanks, everyone. When we were just looking for electric, it seemed like there were a ton of gas ones out there. Now that I’m thinking gas is a real option, I’m not seeing as much of anything - not used. Still, having the choice between the two gives us more options. Had an appointment set up to go get an electric one last night, but the seller flaked on us. Hoping to find something acceptable this weekend.

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have not lived in a house that has natural gas piped to it since 1977. For a year or so in a rent house in 83 we did use a gas dryer hooked up to a tank that we had to go refill and that sucked. Since 93 I repaired the electric dryer once and then replaced it 12 to 15 years ago. I go through more washing machines and disposals. An electric dryer usually lasts decades.

sean79 likes this.
  11. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

I've used a gas dryer for 25+ years - no complaints. Heats up and cools down fast. Very efficient.

quick side note - if you go used. I just fixed one for a friend (stacked unit).
    It seems the two solenoids that control the interior gas valve are typically the first suspects if it isn't getting things dry.
    Plenty of vids out there demonstrating how to replace them (it's super easy and inexpensive - once you get the front panel off).
    The next suspect is the igniter - also a very easy fix.

good luck!

sean79 likes this.
  12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'm very glad that the day we closed on our house 20 years ago my friend helped me by running a gas line for an oven before we moved in. I wish I'd thought of doing it for a dryer, or really at any point since since. I've never really thought about it...and time marched on. Dang it...

Having a matching set has never mattered to me or my wife. We just got a washing machine two weeks ago. Hopefully the dryer we have has a few more years in it. That gives me time to get a gas line in place :)

sean79 likes this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I'd note. I've never had to replace a gas dryer nor do more than clean the vents. I have sold many houses where the buyer asked if we could include the appliances to which I have always said, 'you bet'...

NEVER had to repair, fix, mess with... a gas dryer...

I have had an electric dryer before and it was fine, but slow and inefficient. Buying used is an interesting gambit... why would one disabuse themselves of a perfectly good dryer?

sean79 likes this.
  14. sean79

It is. Some people seem to be selling theirs because they’ve replaced their washers - and they want matching sets. Some say they’ve moved into a place with a laundry set - and they are now getting rid of their extras. Some are probably trying to pass on POS appliances they don’t want to mess with. It’s always a gamble.

EDIT: Might check out a used appliance store up near Buffalo. They seem to have some decent used/rebuilt ones. And they come with warranties.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Sidebar:
    I LOVE the sound of clothes tumbling around and the 'pur' of the dryer motor!
    Like going to bed with it ON, relaxing

Wonder if that is a Sound Option on those white noise machines?
    It should be :)

sean79 likes this.
  16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

NG? no brainer. just do it. Propane? YMMV. Can be a bit nasty for combustion chambers and therefore drier life is affected, and it is expensive.

sean79 likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

sean79 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  18. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

That’s great until you forget to turn off the “cycle finished” alarm

sean79 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Coming in late - but gas, without question. Cheaper to operate, faster but without overheating clothes, and almost never need service.

We've always had gas, and in 45 years I've replaced one igniter. Virtually everyone I know that has an electric dryer has needed service every couple of years for some problem or other.

I could be wrong as I haven't shopped for one in decades, but as I recall gas dryers are also less expensive. And as far as utility areas go, every house except "all electric" seems to have a gas hookup; only about 1/3 or so have a 220 outlet for electric (and 120VAC dryers are the equivalent of trying to dry all your clothes with a hair dryer!)

sean79 likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I know!
    " BRAAAAHHHH!!!"

sean79 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.