GAS Support Group

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm Digital Larry, and I have GAS (hi Larry)!

Yes, I realize that most people here are not looking to discourage any fellow travelers from indulging their GAS. But I'm really trying to hold firm on this.

I took my G&L S-500 to the local guitar shop for a setup. While there, I perused the lower end of their used models.

Ibanez Artcore? Already owned and sold two (different models though). Pretty red paint job. Body a bit deep for my tastes. 2V/2T, don't like that.

Next! Italia Maranello Semi Hollow. ooooohhhhh, nice orange paint job, light weight, 1V/1T. Uh-oh. So I had to convince myself that this guitar was "too nice" and I'd be worried about it getting a ding or something. I have a 2HB guitar (Yamaha AES-800) which is my longest favorite. But now I start thinking "its neck is a bit narrow", "never really liked the way it looks", "weird but cool 5-way switching wiring", etc.

Next up, modelers. Lots of new things coming out of NAMM. I've said this a million times, but will say it again. I have an Eleven Rack, which is probably ten years old by now. I'm just using it for recording. Don't gig. Just use the knobs and buttons off the front panel. Trying to muster the discipline to record without delay or reverb so I can add that later to suit. This already allows re-amping via USB. Just a few issues.

a) I can get good sounds to my ear for recordings. Guitar and bass and electric mandolin. Sometimes the presets don't sound good to me and it may take awhile to get those dialed in. Mostly "chime" or overdrive with single coils can get sort of grating to me. But never having owned an AC-30 I'm not sure if that's normal or not, because most modeler "chime" patches sound similar to me.

b) MIDI tempo sync for delays and LFOs cannot be enabled while USB is plugged in. No real good rationale, it's probably just a bug that will never get fixed. Sometimes when I'm coming up with ideas I like to get tempo synced delays and LFOs, which I'd add on the modeler just because it's so easy to do so. Even if ultimately I would not print that to the DAW and would instead recreate it later.

c) When using the USB audio, it is an ASIO device which means (IME) that now I have to monitor through that since you can only run one ASIO device at a time. Assuming that's true, then the problem is in ASIO and not necessarily the modeler.

I was interested in all the hype about the NeuralDSP modeler. The POD Go also ticked my interest for awhile. But one of the worst things for me is to get a new piece of gear and then have it just sit there, because I didn't really need it, or it didn't really provide me anything I didn't already have.

But those Italia guitars! Really nice. I'm gonna have to go back to that shop to pick up my G&L eventually.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Take a neighbor to physically enter the shop for you when your G&L is done?

Practical:

The Orange Italia isn't easy to resist. You might end up owning it. This is a risk you have to account for in life, like telemarketers during dinner, or a fast food joint botching your order.
    It's ok to need a guitar that's really nice and not super common to find used ...

If the price is right. If it's not, easier to walk away.

Modeler?

Your timing is awful. Everyone is about to be ready to shell out full price on lots of gear because thier taxes are coming. This makes it a suboptimal time to look into new gear, for reasons of availability and pricing. Unless you need something now, and it doesn't sound like this is the case, you're better off waiting. Now, when people are selling modelers that got your attention upon release, that's the time to pounce.
    Picking it up now will run the risk of it sitting. Casually scanning for a useful replacement for the Eleven rack is prudent.

I'm not a modeler guy, but the longer you wait, the cheaper you can get higher quality stuff. Like, don't wait too long. Nobody really seeks out a "Vintage Zoom 25effects unit" but so many companies are putting out stuff, and so many people are fickle, that you can reap the fruits of someone jumping from NeuralDSP to AxEffects if you're patient.

3. Digital Larry

Haha, you're right, I might wind up getting that orange Italia. Only possible strike against it is 25" scale? At least it's not 24.5". I bought one of those without realizing it and didn't like it (for other reasons) and flipped it almost immediately, at a loss.

Yeah I REALLY don't need a new modeler. There's not that much risk there. But I could stand to hunker down with the one that I have and come up with e.g. 4 patches for each guitar and bass I have. I find that using a different guitar with a patch that sounded good on the other one is frustrating as I play clean a lot and these all have variation in how much high end they put out. The Eleven organizes patches in groups of 4 which helps. I like the rack format and I liked the $200 price point on the Eleven for sure! That's going to take awhile... just realizing that I haven't put enough time into it.

Oh I forgot to mention I was looking at the new Fender Mustang model. Now that I think about it, I probably would have liked that better than a Katana (which is now under the bench for dust protection). I thought about getting a Mustang and putting it under the bench next to the Katana without even taking it out of the box. Then I realized that would be silly.

4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

GAS Support Group? (chanting) Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! ...

5. Digital Larry

Well, here it is!

img-5631_orig.jpg

6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ooh! Pretty! (Love the soundhole shape.)

Digital Larry likes this.
  7. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Got me a 6-month ban over on tgp for asking why uncle Ted was not in the Rock and roll Hall of Fame...

Gas cured...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.