GAS solved years ago, now on to fixing BAS.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, May 15, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This is for the bikers. I'm convinced pedal and motorized bikes have the same elements that make people go music gear crazy.

GAS got solved years ago with a few really nice versatile guitars - one each of my Telecaster, acoustic and semi-hollow humbucker type.

Last night I started on some fix up, parts swap and getting ready to sell 2-4 bicycles. I haven't decided what that one keeper or replacement for them will be but sure know these times of shortages plus spring/May (bike month) mean sell now.

It seems less easy to simplify than with guitars.

:)

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sell whole bicycles???

All mine are partscycles made from great parts, and worth more parted out than as whole bikes.

Too bad since there's a good amount of labor in assembing and tuning a bike, plus all the cables and fittings are worthless after disassembly.
    I do have a few cheaper frames and parts I could build up to sell whole as "used bikes", but little interest in doing that.
    Also my Park stand and bike bench has a pile of lumber in front of it now!

39martind18 likes this.
  3. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Did I read that right? One? One Keeper?

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I’ve gone through some bikes. I raced velodrome (pursuit) growing up and road. Bike GAS is the same as guitar GAS.
    The real question is when Time discontinued the pedals you like do you buy new ones or buy up a few sets of old cleats? And forget about saddles, I hate changing saddles. My bee-hind gets used to a shape and they change it.
    Well anyway, as long as it’s white leather I’m looking.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. imwjl

Just like my 3 guitars, one keeper bike will be impossible or even more difficult. This is part because my wife is not riding her Trek Remedy these days and it could be a year or months to get a new one in popular size. Part because one of the kids got his own newer bike.

We've had a few years of two same height parents and two near same height kids sharing a bunch of bikes.

Also part because at age 62 I've lost enough height that my custom road bike just cannot be comfortable for long rides.

Finally, I'm getting into a sort of riding where I leave from my driveway to combine roads with single track MTB and gravel riding. I just finished a pretty tough off road tour and am considering an event that's in one day 100 mi or 60 km of riding a bunch of trails together.

@Killing Floor you bring up a whole other problem. My wife and I happily share WTB brand Pure saddles. This endurance stuff and off road tour I've dipped into seems like old school leather territory.

Personal debates on guitar and bike gear (fly fishing too) are among my better first world problems.

Killing Floor likes this.
  6. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

I am a passionate cyclist and I am quite satisfied with one road bike and one mountain bike. Thank God I dont have the GAS like I sometimes have for guitars :)

imwjl likes this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I know. It’s a burden. Should I be worried that I still rock rim brakes on the road? So many players I know also cycle.

upload_2021-5-15_11-7-0.jpeg

telemnemonics and imwjl like this.
  8. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

I don't think I'd be personally happy with one keeper... I've got a road bike, a full sus mtb, and my old courier workbike to shop with(bob trailer) and ride when we just want to go somewhere. I have a few friends with gravel bikes, but I just couldn't really get my head around the need for one... I reckon with the 3 I've got i can scratch about any biking itch I've got. Read about the ride you did, sounded like you had a blast! I've done a few events, mtb marathons and the like, and I'd love to do the Paris-Roubaix open if I ever get the chance. Hard choice if you're combining road and dirt, but you're an experienced rider and know the trails around your area, so whatever you settle on, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.(I'm 55 myself, knees and back are good so far...)

imwjl likes this.
  9. imwjl

My road bike is so old or classic that all the Campy and metal is still shiny. It would not be competitive by weight or gear range, but this is a real Chris Chance made in Massachusetts for me, and not the latter ones made in the Serotta factory. He made models looking like this later but it was enough different from a Slim Chance that he decided to use his old decals.

I might try a a little more reconfiguration, and would need to find the right buyer to really appreciate the frame and Record/Chorus parts combo.

What I'm after is this ride quality with 40-45 mm tires and some carry capacity. When this "last road bike" was commissioned decades ago I didn't have a shrinking back in mind.

[​IMG]

10. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

I also rock rim brakes on the road. They are old school and cool, like tube amps in guitar world :cool:

CharlieO, Killing Floor and imwjl like this.
  11. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Sounds like what all the gravel bike guys I know look for, position on the bike a bit more relaxed and threads for racks just in case...

imwjl likes this.
  12. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I owned a bike shop and never upgraded...

...Because I had neither time to ride nor money.

Killing Floor and imwjl like this.
  13. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I hear ya. I have a long back and my beautiful, 80s hand built road frame has a top tube which reflects that. I find it very difficult to find, or maintain, a comfy position on the bike now- and I've tried all the usual solutions. A lot of happy memories- but none recent. :(

Obsessed, imwjl and telemnemonics like this.
  14. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I wish I could get my bike tuned up right. Last time I rode it the twist shifter thingy kept popping out when I tried to get it past five and into six or seven. Imagine that a 21-speed bike with 7-15 speeds.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Bikes and guitars really do occupy the same space in my mind for me…

Spent yesterday fettling my latest guitar with some new parts, then some of today on some bikes prepping for summer.

imwjl and telemnemonics like this.
  16. telemnemonics

The index shifting can be fiddly to tune and keep reliable.
    Might help to replace the shifter cable and housings?

17. telemnemonics

Riding position on those old frames limits me too, got Nitto Technomic stems that are much higher but still too much forward lean to ride for long.

18. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I’m down to five

One gravel (gave up on road bikes a while ago), one hardtail, one full sus, an errand bike, and a partial road/gravel bike for the trainer (it has no brakes). And my wife has four. Crowded garage. I’ve spent most of the pandemic doing a lot of biking. But have scaled back lately and have been playing more guitar instead.

But in the original point, GAS for me affects both hobbies.

19. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

My GAS transitioned to KAS… knife acquisition. I got a really nice high-end Benchmade (my first quality knife) for everyday carry, loved it, then got hooked on collecting various other brands/types.

20. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

2005(?) GIANT Sedona St. $100 on Craigslist several years ago. Put on some new tires, a seat and some pedals. I think I want some newer handlebars that allow me to sit more upright but I'm not sure yet. Otherwise very happy with it. It replaced the previous bike:

[​IMG]

1978 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed. Great bike, wonderful survivor and fun to ride. Nothing like taking a piece of Chicago history down the road under your doumaflatchies. Fun and cool as it is, the GIANT is a greater fit for me. It's bigger, beefier and I can go off-road without feeling like I'm beating the crap out of a vintage bicycle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.