Gas prices

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Really varies here in Indy. By my house on the north side it's still about $2, but in the city it's as low as $1.55.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I was driving back from the store last Friday at 4:00 in the afternoon and heard the traffic report for the Washington DC area - no slowdowns anywhere. First time I’ve heard of that in almost 50 years.

3. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

In Toronto it was listed at 68.9 cents per litre, the lowest it's been in over thirty years.

4. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

My wife just got gas at Sam's Club a few days ago for $1.34.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Here in Taxachusetts it's about $2/ gallon on average.

6. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I heard someone say the truckers and other commercial drivers are loving this. One of the segments that's still busy, plus they don't have to fight the traffic.

teletail likes this.
  7. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

While demand is definitely a factor over the range in which demand is elastic with respect to gasoline price at the pump, gasoline prices are also responsive to supply; when the gasoline inventory is ample, the price drifts down until the surplus is absorbed and shoots up when inventories are back in balance with consumption.

The major oil producing countries through OPEC and OPEC plus Russia control supply to manipulate the price of oil, which has some effect on gasoline prices, too. For example, Saudi Arabia recently decided to keep production high and depress the price of oil. This affects the value of various currencies as well as the economies of other countries, particularly oil exporters such as Russia. Low oil prices combined with the collapse of demand for gasoline to result in the lowest gasoline prices we've seen in decades.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just noticed this morning that the gas station just off the highway was showing $1.85

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cheap gas but I'm trying not to drive anywhere other than for groceries. o_O

DrPepper likes this.
  10. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I'm driving more than usual because we're visiting all the local Wildlife Refuges. Plus our weather has warmed up enough to get our kayaks out and we drive to several different launch spots.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For outdoors, I'm fortunate. I live on the edge of town. I can look down on my house:

[​IMG]

Then turn around:

[​IMG]

dkmw, boris bubbanov and DrPepper like this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

All that I see when I look outside is farm land and cows, closest house is a mile (or more) away.

13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Supply & demand... when the supply is low and the demand is high, high prices. When supply is high and demand is low, low prices...

Harry Styron likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Missouri is sort of strange, in that it has low prices but relatively little of the supply comes from nearby.

A lot of other places depend on high crude prices, for good paying jobs. I can see the price of real estate in regions that rely on these oil and gas jobs, falling precipitously. IF we can restore some economic activity and keep it going, by then a lot of wells will have been shut in and the supply will have fallen some, and then maybe the price will return to a normal level.

From my perspective, the best thing about all this upheaval is, the coal industry (aside from coal for metallurgy) is doomed and the horrible health costs associated with burning coal for energy will ease.

Harry Styron likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

If you don't mind....

Name me a time in the USA when supply surged and demand fell out hard, both at the very same time. I can't think of such a time.

Some local prices, like we hear about in Idaho, are what I would call "residue". I was talking to one filling station owner-operator and he hadn't changed his prices because - he's just stopped worrying about selling gas. Hopes a few people will keep buying until the tank is empty - decide then, what to do next.

16. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My station(s) are holding at $2.79. Costco's el-cheapo alcohol slop has made it down to $2.35.

17. boris bubbanov

I made a trip from Memphis to Western NC on Wednesday last week, and returned on Sunday. Seriously kept my distance, as I have been doing since January. Truckers represented a much larger than normal percentage of the open road traffic. Other places, still a lot of idle local traffic, not serious enough for my liking.

But they can't be happy when they get there and have to unload the truck by themselves. I didn't mind unloading trailers at age 18. I don't know how I'd feel about it now.

Btw, there are more cops out there now, than I've seen in quite some time. But only two had actually pulled someone over or were attending to a stopped vehicle or whatever. Mostly I figure, don't go nuts with your speeds - don't provoke them.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  18. boris bubbanov

Ironwolf, if you're talking about Alcohol Free gasoline, you're messing up our study. I hadn't checked all the places I could get that, but those I did check, they're still around $ 3.00 and the stations I have seen are ONLY lowering prices on lowest octane Regular with 10% alcohol. Everything else is still expensive.

I lost a fuel pump on the '01 on account of this stupid alcohol. I don't like it either. I work hard not to put it in my S-2000. But the rest of these rides, I just don't see where I have any choice. What a shame that all these corn growers are like junkies, needing this help. It sure would be helpful if we could go cold turkey right now and quit putting alcohol in the fuel altogether. The whole explanation for it was short supply of real gas. That's history.

dkmw likes this.
  19. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Missouri has the second lowest gasoline tax in the US, trailed only by Alaska. Wholesale gasoline for Southwest Missouri comes from terminals along the Mississippi River in Southeast Missouri, even though the refineries in Oklahoma are nearer. I don't know why this is.

Here's a list of state gasoline and diesel taxes:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

20. boris bubbanov

I think if folks have the discipline to keep strict distance from others, going hiking or birdwatching somewhat nearby is no sin. I think we have to consider our mental health and it is IMO better preserved in serene places, watching birds.

I'm wondering what people think of me, shuttling 400 miles to and from The Cabin to keep cars inspected and legal, etc. There's no congregation, and gloves only at the fuel pump and no unprotected door handles and restroom breaks only when full provision can be accomplished. We're not talking about rock climbing where a trip to the ER is a real possibility, and you take it easy on the mountain bike. For those of us who do no live in Tokyo or even remotely the same density, I think we're still in the clear. My real concern frankly, is someone else sees me "out and about" and assumes the trip is routine. It isn't.

KevinB likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.