Gas prices

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jan 6, 2020.

1. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

I have always questioned on how much a gas station actually profits on a sale of a gallon of gas. Is it a 30% profit?

2. OldDave

OldDave TDPRI Member

It is a commodity driven by supply and demand. Though an inexplicable jump of 7 cents a gallon over the weekend after we started rattling our saber again. I'm not a big believer in coincidence.

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Reminds me of Labonville way up north in Gorham, New Hampshire in bygone days. Labonville is a hardcore logging supply. In between the super heavy duty you ain't never gonna break 'em binder chains for your log truck and the obligatory chainsaws and chainsaw parts... they used to sell fiddles and fiddle parts. I don't know but I been told there was a tradition of French Canadian fiddling in the logging camps.

Driving past Labonville we'd continue on to Catello Music in Berlin. Talk about my kind of place! It was a Yamaha motorcycle dealership and a music store. They always had killer vintage gear at reasonable prices back in the day.

Labonville and Catello's have changed over the years. They're still there.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That's complicated by state laws. In my state it is further complicated by some sellers purposely breaking the minimum markup law. There are big and small sellers who break that law as well as big and small sellers wanting it to remain. One sizable grocery chain breaks the law to attract grocery and liquor customers with cheap gasoline. Another chain with convenience stores more and more where Wal-Mart's killed local grocers fights those wanting to kill minimum markup to preserve their margins. It only looks like a healthy market place where the more urban areas have lots of competition.

5. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

When I worked at a gas station the manager just looked at the price of a specific competitor on their commute and added 5¢.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know if I've posted this before but it's my best fill up so far...

20191020_104611.jpg

Shuster likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm willing to pay the price!

codamedia likes this.
  8. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

From what friends in retail, distribution, refining, and crude production all tell me, price is really an arbitrary number. Example: tanker truck fills a station’s underground tank at 8AM, retailer sells for a small profit. At noon, a major storm hits a refinery, and all of a sudden supplies are jeopardized, so the gas that was selling for X is now selling for X plus 15%.

also keep in mind the ‘current crude price’ is actually a gamble, in that the trading prices are for products not even out of the ground yet, but 90 days into the future.

9. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

The valley is a special location.... I don't blame you one bit ;)

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

1.12 in North Mississippi.

getbent likes this.
  11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Still over $2.80 a gallon here. We are the last place in the country to drop and the first to rise.

Edit. had the price $1.00 a gallon to low.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know about that, the cheapest gas in town here on the streets of Bakersfield is $2.58 a gallon, name brands are pushing three bucks. If gas were free everywhere else it would still be at least a buck fifty a gallon here in Bakersfield.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. boppy

boppy Tele-Meister

.69 a litre here in Toronto.
    Haven't seen it that cheap in years.

14. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Avg price for regular near me is running 1.95 - 2.09/gal. But I saw a station yesterday (just one mind you) for 1.39 for cash or 1.45 for credit. It's in a sketchy area though, so I wouldn't trust that they're not grabbing your card info somehow.

15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I just paid $1.99.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm funny though. Right now I will pay 50 cents a gallon or more, just to make sure the pathway to the needed restroom is clear, little or no "competition" and to know there's lots of soap, hot water and nothing to touch on the way out the door to the car.

What is interesting is the way that prices for Premium are tenacious and just don't seem to go down. I always try to switch to Premium on the Saabs, when the price craters, since Saabs have the means to tell the difference and adjust to the higher octane. But right now, in some cases the Premium is essentially twice the price. And remember, the tax on premium is the same per gallon, so the vendor will be making at least 3X and potentially much more profit per gallon, on that. And. That premium could be weeks old as well. Think of how few people use premium when the differential is totally out of whack.

17. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I initially typed the price wrong. If you have $2.58 in Cali that would be like $1.50 for us. Our gas price has only fluctuated up and down a maximum of 3 cents in the last 3 weeks.

Our entire fuel supply comes up one pipeline from Salt Lake and feeds a single tank farm here in Boise that feeds all the stations here and all the way into Oregon, regardless of the brand name.

With no source competition, Salt Lake charges all the traffic will bear.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay sir, just remember if you're gonna be the leader in this outfit, you have to know where you're going! :lol::lol:

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Crikey. It dropped from 109.9 to 99.9 here. I can't it at 69 cents.

24 track likes this.
  20. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

91.9 here in the ' loops time to fill the jerry cans

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.