Gas prices

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jan 6, 2020.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

What do you think of how your local gas stations raise and lower gas prices all the time?

Right now in Omaha, Ne. I can get a gallon for $2.19 (cheapest I know of) but in Sioux City, Iowa it would cost $2.25.

Don't make your reply "P", if you know what I mean...

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

In Park Rapids MN the price is always higher. If you ask at a station they'll say it's due to the cost of shipping it here. Ok that's understandable.
    The weird thing is you can leave town north, south, east or west on a state highway and find cheaper gas. Apparently PR is centrally located between pipeline terminals where they fill tanker trucks?
    But the truth is I pay little attention to gas prices and go to the C store where the woman are the skanky.

8barlouie and nojazzhere like this.
  3. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Here it depends where you go. Locally I pay around 1.75 per litre of diesel, but it can be had for twenty cents less in some areas.

johnDH likes this.
  4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Locally it's £1.20 a litre, £5.46 a gallon, so about $6.50, as our gallons are 20% bigger than in the US.

trev333 likes this.
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

ha ha... its a scam. they can do whatever they want. in my town (Anchorage) the gas is 15-30 cents a gallon cheaper than the town where the refinery is (Kenai/Nikiski).

radiocaster, nojazzhere and teletail like this.
  6. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Here in Kentucky most gas stations get their gas from Marathon and they have a stranglehold on the state, especially the Louisville area. Around here prices can be halfway decent but let a big holiday loom and they start taking off, jumping as much as .50 cents a gallon overnight. And a lot of times they will start creeping up usually every Thursday. There have been more complaints and news stories than you can count. The last two state Attorney Generals we had said they were going t investigate and get to the bottom of what's going on but it was no use. I'm sure the big oil companies paid their sorry asses off.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gas prices are set at the pump by distributors, not retailers.

MarkieMark, DrPepper, Nick-O and 2 others like this.
  8. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I don’t even look any more, feels futile. Gotta get fuel when you need fuel. I do work for an oil company, but there are no kick-backs at the pump.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Worked in the oil industry myself.
    No free gas.
    Cheap skates!

10. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

gregulator450 likes this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

No complaints on pricing this week. I just got back from Jamaica and estimated a $2+ gallon more difference.

In general I only put a noticeable effort into pursuing a lower price when it is meaningful such as COSTCO or the farmer's co-op where the difference truly ads up.

12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Non-Fossil fuels are the way to go. Sometime in 2021 it will be less expensive to run an electric car annually (including purchase cost) than a gas guzzler. GM, Ford and Toyota are already preparing to release their pickups.

Torren61 and william tele like this.
  13. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Electricity prices can be subject to fluctuations and market distortions also. In some places, electricity price rises with peak demand. And depending on where you live, you may be in effect driving a coal-powered car.
    If you live in Costa Rica where there is abundant hydroelectric power an electric vehicle makes a lot of sense. But that may not apply equally everywhere.

El Tele Lobo, Obsessed and Georox like this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They station by where I work (when I used to go to the office) used to vary wildly. One day, when I came in, gas was $3.25. I went out at lunch, and it as $3.55. When I left for the day, it was $3.40. There is no way that price difference across a 9 hour day was supply and demand or shipping costs.

There used to be a "cheaper station" or an area where gas is cheaper. Now that seems to move from station to station and area to area.

Someone - probably a regional manager for chains - is manipulating prices, getting us used to fluxuations so we don't seek out a cheaper solution. This is like ads on your browser - someone found the usage patterns and are targeting them.

El Tele Lobo and Telecaster88 like this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I work for a municipality and pay full price for water & sewer.

BobbyZ likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Prices follow demand.

When cold weather hits, or a cold snap, and vehicles get 80% mileage of the warm months the demand spikes and with a given supply the price gets pushed up.

Holidays or summer vacations with big trips and fuel demands then prices go up.

How often when the price has been steady at $3/gallon and then you see $3.25/gallon do you hold off "maybe I'll get my gas tomorrow"?

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday is the lowest price of the week and Friday-Sunday the highest because people are more likely to buy and drive for fun than just top off the commuter vehicle (which they filled up on Sunday).

Many states have severe fuel taxes in the price at the pump.

SUVs and trucks disappear when gas hits $4/gallon or higher.... because it's a $100 per tank fill and commuters that are used to filling up twice a week see the monthly budget get decimated.

El Tele Lobo, Greggorios and Obsessed like this.
  17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So, if I get a job at a bank, I could expect free money? :lol::lol::lol:

18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

We're paying 6-7$ a gallon. I fill up about once a week (~50 litres, i.e. 13 gallons) and it's certainly a noticeable part of the budget...

19. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I once did the math on gas prices for a handful of countries in Europe, and what you pay for the actual product is comparable to what it is in North America. The higher retail price is almost entirely because of how it's taxed, which is a locally-solvable problem.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Due to certain global circumstances, I believe they will rise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.