Gas or electric stove?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Jun 11, 2016.

Do you have a gas stove or electric stove?

1. Gas stove

59 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Electric stove

32 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. Wood burning stove

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. The exhaust manifold on my truck

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Whilst my (rented) house has an electric stove / oven, I much prefer gas...

Given the amount of GAS generated on this site alone, I'm amazed anyone needs to ask... :D

2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Electric sucks, and most of South Florida is electric:

It's all coral here, and you can't dig more than a foot before you hit it--so they can't dig to run gas lines.

But many municipalities (not mine) allow you to install a propane tank and run a line to your stove. It's just a PITA and an expense.

3. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

When we were looking for a house here we found most homes had electric only. Luckily we found a house that we liked and also had a gas stove and heat. I've heard some good things about the induction stovetops but they tend to be very expensive and the type of cookware is limited to magnetic based metals. I still like to see a flame.

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Dual fuel for me. Gas top and electric (self cleaning) oven. No other way to do it as electric ranges just don't offer the adjustability for really good cooking. If I didn't have a gas line into the house, I'd use propane.

Induction shows promise but I'd have to replace all my (expensive) aluminium and copper cookware. Induction only works with cookware made of magnetic materials.

Oh, and two barbecues; one for everyday use that burns propane, and a charcoal one for really good steaks.

5. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I grew up in an area where the power would constantly go off, sometimes for a week at a time.
    After a couple of those weeks, we retrofitted our house with a gas stove, gas water heater, gas wall furnace,
    so being without power wasn't all that bad
    Today I have solar power, a generator and gas.

6. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I had a gas oven in my old house for about 18 years. It was great for cooking a roast or whole chicken. Those ovens seem to last forever. Mine was a 1957 Hardwick. It's still working for all I know. I'm more or less resigned to electric now. At least for the time being

7. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I usually cook with a wok. Electric is pretty useless for Asian-style cooking.

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I'm getting the idea now. Many home builders didn't want to run gas lines as an extra expense.

9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Don't induction top manufacturers caution against cast iron because of scratching ?

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We have an electric stove. It's weird because we have gas heat but it would cost a LOT to run the lines to the kitchen and replace the stove. I'd prefer a gas stove.

11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I live over here in the boondocks, so we gots a perticuler way of cookin'.

Possum stew- campfire
    Groundhog flambé- campfire
    Weasels Delight-campfire

We only use the gas stove to sautée horse chestnuts.

stratofortress likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thems good eatins!

13. KevinB

Well, replacing the stove would cost a fair bit. Running black iron pipe is quite easy and not that expensive.

14. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

I grew up with electric cookers, but I can see the attraction with gas. But when we did our place, we went with electric induction hobs. It's quicker than gas (we use whistling kettles, and the gas hob in our second base takes forever to boil), has all the ease of electric (i.e. if I want to fry an egg, I know to set it on 4 - with gas you have to try to judge it every time), it's hugely efficient as the hobs themselves don't get hot - the pan is what gets hot, and a small pan on a big hob doesn't mean wasted power as it would on a conventional electric hob. It is also safer than either. If there is nothing on the hob, it simply cannot get hot, no matter what. Our builder reckoned it was broken, as he turned it on full and stood there with his hand on the hob for a few minutes. When we got him to move his hand, and we put the kettle on it, he soon realised that it worked fine.

These induction hobs are a revelation. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

15. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

If you wanted to, you could put a sheet of newspaper under the pans. It wouldn't affect the cooking, the paper won't burn (seriously, there are vids on youtube if you think I'm joking), and there would be no contact between the hob and pan.

Having said that, I've never heard such warnings anywhere, and I've been using induction for a few years now.

16. KevinB

Induction probably is the way of the future but the big setback is still that your cookware has to be magnetic, and even most stainless steel isn't.

By far, my favourite pans are copper and wouldn't work. I know you can buy an induction disc that goes under a copper pan but they are fairly expensive (about $100) and they aren't that efficient and they would seem to negate many of the advantages of the technology.

As for boiling a kettle of water, I always use an electric kettle as they are faster.

17. otterhound

I can place an entire newspaper between my burners and a pan , but since I am preparing food , I find it to be a waste of a perfectly good tree .

18. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

Do it on an induction hob and the paper will be just as it were prior to the cooking. Your burners won't manage that.

19. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I cook a lot AND I'm a good cook. BUT I prefer electric stove tops. Just do.

20. otterhound

No kidding .
    Put a fork through a marshmallow and toast it with your induction top and newspaper .
    I prefer to read the paper before placing it on a stove and have no desire to cook it .
    Cooking with gas .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.