1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

GAS is technically off limits...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danomo, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

... if I interpret the forum rules correctly:

As we've discussed it before, it skirts the line... but I recently recieved a new twist.

I'm cheap, and my GAS has always been fairly self-sustaining, I m a y b e pop an additional $200-$300 additional in parts/mods/taxes in some years.
    When I flip something, it's almost always at a profit, and I keep cash from flips out of our regular account so it doesn't affect cash flow (though parts, out of necessity are bought on credit). I tell the Mrs about purchases for parts, and keep all my receipts for sales and purchases (except CL, in which case I save the ad).

As many will identify with, the Mrs often gets a glazed look when telling her about new acquisitions. But something's up now... I had a open mic gig of two sets last month, and I've been working on playing out again. This is not sitting well with her, and now the Mrs is EXTREMELY interested in my guitars and GAS. To the point that my music room is being gone through every week to see if I'm "hiding" anything, I did recently have a sell off of a few things, and used the proceeds for some gig-worthy cases, a new Jazz bass build, and a Squier VM Jaguar... All of which she was informed of. Yet, my cases, containers, and gig bag pockets are being rifled through every week.

It's not a money thing, heck... Her yearly mani-pedi's alone are 3-5 times the cost of my yearly GAS layout (many years I end up with a cash surplus from flips).

But I'm starting to get worried... it hasn't become an argument or "issue" yet, but the "inventory" continues every week (usually when I'm at work). She's not shy about it, she leaves stuff open, and isn't trying to hide it, but also doesn't talk about it (I have mentioned it, she says "Oh, I only did that once").

Yikes!

2. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

My dog does the very same thing. Sometimes if I leave a guitar leaning against the desk I'll come back and find dried drool on it. Creepy.

3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Tell her to stop. That's ridiculous. I am a lucky man, my wife took the martin a friend wants to sell home from her work where he dropped it this monday. In a good marriage you supprt each other - even if your interest makes no sense for your partner.

4. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Get some big rubber spiders and put them in your guitar cases. :D

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeah, this isn't going to end well. :neutral:

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. Mine didn't end well either.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You need to find her gas and feed it....even if she doesnt need it

8. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

YES!

If like my wife (of 17yr) she convinces herself of something, or that something's going on. Even if it isn't true; she is going to find whatever circumstantial evidence is necessary to prove it.

Mine usually clams up when she's preparing the argument.

She's a counselor, she's good at arguing.

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

She's playing your guitars when you're not around.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

OP needs to start messin with her mind. Put a saxophone in there. Pack one case full of dried squid. Those springy snakes you get in a fake jar of peanuts.

11. boney

boney Tele-Meister

put a lock on that door now,lol hey my wifes the same way. they think we should be spending the money on paying bills and life in general in stead of wasting it on musical gear.

12. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

No matter what level I was playing on I would stop playing out and lay off buying stuff for a while if it was upsetting the mrs. Followed by some serous brown nosing. You guys have all sort of options when it comes to your females. I just toe the line before body parts go missing or there is poison in my food.

13. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Sounds like probable trust issues.
    Sounds like definite communications issues.
    Walking on eggshells is no way to live. Don't ask me how I know.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I read people claiming they always sell for a profit. And I wonder - how is that possible? About two cycles of that and all markets would grind to a halt.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Major reality check required and has nothing to do with guitars.

Good luck.

16. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinkin' she is looking for something other than guitar/music related items.

It feels sorta like there may be more to this story.

17. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Throw a bin of Legos on the floor by the door. That'll stop anyone!

On another note, set the cases up like dominos and put a cheap tele with no neck screws or a broken neck in one case. That'll show her...

Or just talk about it...

18. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Yep, there's some other reasons for that... We're just trying to get along after some things she's done. She's always looking for something to take me down with to compensate, but always comes up empty. I'm just waiting for daughter #2 to start college next year, it's not working anymore.

I don't always sell at a profit, but I don't always buy with intention to keep. Most often (over the last few years), I've been buying to intentionally flip (or upgrade), things like a MIM Strat, or an Epi Viola bass for $150, easy turn around with a cleanup/setup for a $50-$125 profit, I made $175 on a G&L L2K Tribute, but then lost $80 on my Jack Casady (basically the cost of the case). I'm usually in the black. Some of these that I originally intended to keep, are a year or two in the flip (like the Casady and the G&L). I don't buy or sell consistently in the same place, it's a mish-mash of CL, local new stock stores, local vintage stores, GC, etc.

19. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't have much patience, but I've never been able to sell anything and come anywhere near breaking even.
    I have only high end stuff that I usually only ask about half price for, but still no takers. At least not in a timely fashion.

I had an American Standard Telecaster and a DRRI amp that I was practically begging to give away for $500, without any takers.
    Last week I dropped them off at Goodwill.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear that. I suspect a shop would have taken them off your hands for more than zero.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.