GAS is Real People...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dreamingtele, Aug 25, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

So, you've probably all know that I just got my dream Telecaster from a pawnshop.. an AVRI62 Telecaster...

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-62-avri-custom-telecaster-pawnshop-find.908114/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also, I assembled a new partscaster because I have a rosewood neck thats been sitting in my closet for quite a while..

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/birthday-ngd-p90-partscaster-tele-content.965667/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, since having my first born, almost 11 months now, I have one more mouth to feed, and I have to make a rule of 1 in, 1 out, to also appease the wife.. LOL

and Im having serious gas for an AV 64 Thin skin, or that LPB American Original 60's.. that LPB is just calling my name.. LOL I played a few AO60's but most of them were the first batch shipped here in Au, and it didnt inspire me.. The store has a fresh batch, and Im really thinking of going and playing those again and see if something will bond to me.. the narrow tall frets and 9.5" neck specs are appealing.. I wish they did 7.25 and narrow tall frets, that would be my poison... I love that combo, but to refret my AVRI 62 would cost a lot..

My AVRI 62 is very resonant, and really built well.. It vibrates from neck down to the body like crazy, I never had that kind of guitar before.. so I think I got a good one.. and also there's the thing that the AVRI is discontinued and might fetch quite a good sum and be enough to get a used Thinskin 64 or an AO60's..

Oh well.. Gas is kicking and its this feeling that got me sell and regret, but also the same feeling that got me some serious great players... LOL Maybe I should just stop looking at NGD threads!!!

Attached Files:

2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Did you ever doubt that GAS was real? Yeah, I'm not sure what the cure is. Mostly self-discipline, I guess. :)

OldDude2, nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  3. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

A pawn shop....I will never be that lucky

dreamingtele and Telecaster88 like this.
  4. dreamingtele

There is no cure?? Hehehe.. Yes, self disciplining myself takes as much effort, if not double.. LOL

5. dreamingtele

I'm never lucky, but there was just something about that day I found my AVRI62.. its like stars aligned or something..

3 weeks ago, I was ampless as I sold my only amp to get a smaller, bedroom friendly amp.. I went back to the same street, but different pawnshop and found a Vox Pathfinder 15R for 80USD.. which is by far the cheapest Ive seen around here in my part of the world..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

The AV '64 is one of my faves. Mine is a vintage white thin skin with larger frets and flatter radius.

All my recent Teles are veering towards '60s models. A 67' smuggler started it all. Then the AV '64 and most recently an AV '62 HotRod.

Thre LPB AO is a looker too.

Good luck with the GAS!

7. dreamingtele

Since I love rosewood boards, all of my tele's are somehow 60's specs.. I love rosewood so much I got a solid rosewood neck instead of maple. LOL

The only thing that stops me at the moment is the AVRI62 has its own special 62 pickups.. I love it. and I'm not sure how the pickups on the thinskin 64 compares to this 62, and I wont be able to compare side by side, because if I ever succumb to Gas I wont have the 62 with me if I get the 64.. oh well. LOL

8. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

My '64 has nocasters.

The '62 a Twisted/'59/Broadcaster set.

Completely different beasts!

dreamingtele likes this.
  9. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

You only have gas cause you're in Melbourne and you still have great guitar shops. A move up here to Sydney, where the good ones have long gone, should help reduce gas! :)

But seriously, that AVRI62 Telecaster is sweet and if it plays as well as you describe, a real keeper. I've had a few that looked that, good including a deluxe/elite that I wanted to love, but I couldn't bond with the skinny necks. Same with the Lake Placid Blue AO - stunning guitar but not quite enough meat on the neck for me.

Cheers

10. dreamingtele

Hahaha! that may be true! theres one really close to my home and is a great Fender shop with varied options.. otherwise, its going to be an online buy which is Im trying to avoid because I want to hold it, feel it, and play it, and hopefully compare my 62 to it..

Actually, I'm going well with this guitar, the skinny neck is not for me.. I really hate that bit about 60's guitars... My rosewood neck is 1 inch through and through, full U shape, and thats how I like my necks.. but I dont want a maple neck, but because this 62 has always been a dream of mine, I cant bear to put a new neck on it, or replace the neck with my rosewood one as it will destroy that the 62-ness of it..

but I dont have a problem playing it, the vintage frets are okay, I can play it as good as the 6105 on my rosewood neck, but I wish it has 6105.. This combo can be found in roadworn MIM strats and tele's but they dont make roadworn 60's inspired teles.. only strats.. so yeah..

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The cure is to get all your guitars the same color, and never show them all at once.

OK, not really.

The real solution is to keep busy doing other things. Like playing the ones you have. And unsubscribe to all the guitar feeds, both forum and merchant. They'll fill your inbox, steal your wallet, and eat your brain if you let them.

I partly practice what I preach. In the warm months I'm so busy in the shop, I hardly have time. But in the winter.... uh oh...

opticnerv likes this.
  12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Of course gas is real, I get billed for it every three months.

Matthias likes this.
  13. dreamingtele

Man, winter is about to end in my part of the world

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. dreamingtele

Hahahaha!

15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Can’t you get rid of other things in your house, like chairs or home appliances? How strict is this one in, one out?

Omiewise65, tfarny, moosie and 2 others like this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

It is a 3 hr round trip to the nearest pawn shop, and after reading this, I may just go to the big city today as it's my day off. I probably won't buy anything spectacular, or even something common, but at least I get lunch at Red Robin or Famous Dave's. There's still a lot of good recession finds in pawn shops.

17. dreamingtele

Very strict. If I still want to come home. Lol. Its either the guitar will come home and I’m out, or vice versa. Lol

But I do have a few things I can unload, but not enough to get a tele at this price range.

Matthias likes this.
  18. dreamingtele

I frequent the street lined with pawnshops here every 2 weeks, I go to the same pawnshop i found this avri first, check out what they have, and move to a few more if they have none.

Stock varies a lot and moves quickly so if I want something i cannot count on that guitar being there after a week. So thats why i moved quickly when I saw this avri, the good thing at that time was I had more money than usual.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So..... you could play it in the front yard, then?

20. dreamingtele

unfortunately, we dont have a yard, but a balcony.. LOL

I'm trying to stand my ground and resist GAS.. LOL Im playing thie AVRI 62 nightly, and I get reminded how good of a guitar this is and I should just be content and satisfied that I have a guitar such as this..

But I did entertain a thought that somehow is curbing my GAS pangs and makes me think carefully about my next decisions.. that thought is this..

"Remember the time I used to dream of what I have now" ..

This is a bit of a realization for me.. 10 years of chasing this exact guitar (AVRI62), which I got lucky I found in a pawnshop, in closet queen - pre loved condition with nothing but usual cleaning marks and film protector on pickguard still on, and some usual accidental bump on the clear coat.. (not dent).. and then now that I have it, it feels like I want to throw it back in the water and chase it again.. I know I should be grateful, but then the fool in me thinks to sell everything and get one custom shop or something, thinking I'll be happier with a more expensive, higher end guitar which, for all we know, can turn out to be just equally the same qualitywise or maybe, occassionally, unexciting or less impressive than what I already have..

The AVRI 62 is still all stock, apart for some mild tweaking of my guitar tech to get it at least in "good enough" condition for my gigis, but I havent done a pro set up on it.. Maybe I just need to get this in for a pro, full set up, the whole nine yards.. bone nut, frets dead level, etc etc etc.. which cost a fraction of what I think Id need to cough up to get a higher end model or a boutique build.. its just a really good thing I dont live in the US, otherwise, there's endless options there, enough to make me crazy.. the AUD vs USD isnt helping as well if I want something from a boutique builder there and get it shipped here..

Im just rambling.. GAS pains. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, just need to walk a bit more.. LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.