GAS-ing For A 12-String!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tonytrout, May 23, 2017.

1. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

First off, I didn't know where to put this thread so if it needs to be moved, please feel free.

I was on Zzounds website yesterday and I ran across two gorgeous 12-string guitars - one a Gretsch & the other was an Ibanez 12-stringer. All I can say is that the Gretsch is absolutely gorgeous and it's affordable ($949.99) & the Ibanez is $499.00.

I can't afford a much-wanted Rickenbacker - that's why I'm trying to decide between the Gretsch and the cheaper 12-string. The Gretsch 12-stringer is much more beautiful than the Ibanez. The Ibanez 12-string looks like an ES-335

HELP!

LOL!!!

Chuckster and AngelDeville like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The new Danelectro 12 strings are pretty nice, for $499, new.
    My friend Scott just bought one.
    I saw a red one in great shape on CL yesterday for $250.

Chuckster, brbadg, gobi_grey and 2 others like this.
  3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

The Danelectro is at the top of my list....

But I don't need another guitar.

Chuckster likes this.
  4. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Bill!!! I'll look into the Dano 12-string. I actually would love to also have a Dano Baritone guitar. But....I'm kinda running out of room to put what I've already got. LOL!!

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I have a Dano DC 12 string with upgraded lipstick pickups and concentric pots. It is set up really well and 9+ condition. No scratches, dings, or dents. Just some swirl marks that I can probably polish out. Red with white pickguard. Will sell for much less than a new one if anyone is interested. The only reason I am selling it is because I assembled a 12 string Jazzmaster. I certainly don't need two 12 stringers.

tonytrout and Chuckster like this.
  6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have one of the Danos. Plays easy & sounds great but we put the 12-string songs at the beginning of the set -- tends to drift out of tune under stage lights. I suspect this is the same case with every 12 string electric.

Chuckster likes this.
  7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Martin D12X1AE

This one is on my hot list right now. $550.00 for one on CL now but I am out of work on medical leave and just can't do it. Some day soon I hope.

8. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

There are just too many great electric 12 string songs out there to not have one, I have a Harley Benton RB-612 CS classic series, all the jangle I ever hoped for. :)

9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Check out the DigiTech Mosaic....I wanted 12 string but didn't need another guitar so I bought this...I really like it! Lots cheaper and no strings to change and for how seldom I would use a12 string guitar this made more sense...
    Cheers

dented likes this.
  10. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The Gretsch and Ibanez are probably both fine guitars that will need a setup when they arrive. The weak point in each will be the pickups, but the stock ones will be useable. The electronics and hardware will not be the best quality, but will still probably work fine for a long time. When people ask me about swapping out hardware and electronics, I usually advise them to leave the stock parts unless there's actually a problem to fix.

The price on those is largely a product of marketing, and then finding a manufacturing strategy to meet that price point. Quality is going to be about the same. If money is no object, choose the one you think looks best. If money is an object, buy the Ibanez :)

11. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

I'd like to see Fender bring back the Tele-XII for awhile -- maybe even as a Squier model -- and, as 'tip-o-the-hat' to the original, use the split pup in the neck position.

12. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I picked up a danelectro 12 string at guitar center last year for $350 new. I went in to buy an amp and came out with that. Lol. Love that thing! So much fun!

13. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Check out the Italia Rimini 12. I used to own one and if I ever played a 12 string I would've kept it. It has the look of a Rickenbacker without that steep price tag.

tonytrout and ale.istotle like this.
  14. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

I can vouch for the Danelectro 12 string. I had a Rickenbacker 12 and it was a bear to restring due to the poor design but
    still a great sound but not worth the money quality wise.

The Danelectro 12 string is easy to string and set up and mine stays in tune, the only drawback is it looks very plain and
    I would have preferred the string configuration of the Rickenbacker but I guess that's what makes them sound unique.

Chuckster likes this.
  15. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I have 2 so no gas here (well maybe for a Rick....)

In the noisy corner I've got a Gordon Smith GS1.5/12 and in the less noisy corner a Faith Naked Venus 12. Love them both.

If I was in the market, I'd probably be looking at the Italia Rimini - they sound great and look great

16. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

Another recommend for the Italia Rimini. Ric vibe but unlike the Ric the fretboard is wide enough for the average adult human male hand. Build quality is excellent too. I put a new nut on mine and strung it Ric-style with flatwounds for maximum jangle effect.

tonytrout and Steve Holt like this.
  17. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I had a Charvel Surfcaster briefly about 12 years ago, which I have fond memories of. Tried the Rickenbackers, liked the sound but really could not get on with the narrow string spacing. The 620 was my favourite as far as sound is concerned. I knew that the 660 has a wider neck so decided to wait for one to come along. Whilst waiting I bought a used Burns Double Six knowing I could sell it on for around what I bought it for, when the Rickie turned up. It has a wide neck and the string pairs are nice and close together making playing a pleasure. The long headstock results in a case which is too long to fit across the boot of the car, which is a pain.
    IMG_1989 (800x600).jpg

Then a Jackson Surfcaster came up, so I had to have it. It sounds better than I had remembered the Charvel, but again the neck feels cramped, so despite it sounding better than the Burns and the Rickie it will have to go. I've given it three years, butI just keep going back to the Burns. Someone mentioned a Gordon Smith earlier, I bid on a couple on ebay without sucess, as owner of five Gordon Smith six string guitars I am sure that they would be a good option if you are looking for a 12 String humbucker guitar.
    IMG_2418 (600x800).jpg

18. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

P1020327.JPG

Not a gig player but the Dano (Tobacco burst) tuning stability is great....grab a comp as well...
    Good luck!

19. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted

I was going to suggest restringing and tuning one as a cure for that particular gas but I can see now the sentiment would not be well received on this thread. :)

20. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

One pair at a time.... tune.... next pair.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.