GAS Hamer double-cut - Korean. Talk me into or out of it.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a MIK Hamer XT. The fit and finish is excellent. It plays great and sounds great, and I gigged with it in the mid-2000s. Never a problem.

It's probably my most pimped-out guitar with all that bling (abalone purfling around the top and in the neck and headstock binding).

Hamer-SBXT.jpg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Possibly the only 'common' guitar archetype I don't have is the double cutaway Les Paul. I have a long time acquaintance who has a Gibson "Rock and Roll" DC with humbuckers that I would love to buy, but he isn't ready to sell despite barely playing for 25 years.

I have considered Hamer and PRS, but haven't been attracted enough to either to commit. I really want a Gibson but they seem to be the least common Gibsons out there.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
If your GAS is actually GGAS ( Gibson GAS ) that guitar might not be the cure even if it's a good one.

The GAS-infected portion of the brain doesn't work in a normal, logical fashion.

I say "skip it" and keep looking.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Congratulations - you've discovered one of the major BARGAINs in the guitar world!

I had a Korean Hamer double cut for years - initially bought it as a backup for my LP double cut.
But the more I played it, the more it grew on me and in retrospect it was as cool as the LP!

Some things you should know:
"Duncan Designed" pickups are doggy poo. I swapped mine out for SDs ('59 neck, Custom ceramic bridge - same as I ran in the LP). There are lots of great options out there depending on what kind of tunes you play.
Electronics are also evil Asian doggy poo. Grab some 500K CTS or Bourns pots off Amazon, a Switchcraft jack and toggle switch, and the tone cap of your dreams and you'll be in business.
Tuners were OK as I recall - might want to swap for some lockers if there's a tuning issue (mine was rock solid).

Other than that, the Korean Hamers are great instruments and affordable as heck!

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Itch scratched…

51889553026_e5ab2a573b_k.jpg

Located a late 90s MIK sunburst. Has some miles on it, but plays like a dream. Neck profile and frets at are great, as is the action. Weighs 7 pounds, 14 oz, and balances really well. Haven’t plugged it in yet, but so far so good. Was able to get it for $325.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
OK - plugged it in.

Sounds great with amp sims in Garage Band. Next, I tried it on my vintage Deluxe Reverb - super nice! It has the "Les Paul" snap on top of a nice full tone. Going to wait and see on the pickups. They are the "Duncan Designed" ones, but they don't sound bad at all.

Need to change strings - the ones on there are very old and crusty. I want to get a baseline before I go changing things.

Overall, much (much) better than expected and definitely a keeper!

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
good! I have 2 MIK Echotones (335 replica). both are excellent players. fit & finish is as good as any Epiphone for sure. I also have an Indonesian built one... not sure what it is, got it real cheap & was using it as a pickup testbed. my first Echotone I replaced the pickups with Duncan 59s & it's sweet. the second one still has the originals & its pretty dang good. I also have 4 USA Hamers. it is rare to see any USA Hamer under 1000 now.

Short on cash

Tele-Meister
Take your time.....

The USA guitars are the best. I played several of the later Hamer asian
what ever they were and there is no comparison.

The late 70's through mid 80's are some of the best Hamers made.

Only a few will come up for sale every year. There were several models
and model changes those years. The double cuts have always been one of
my favorites. I've owned a few through the years and wished I'd kept them all !

One of my favorites was a 78 or 79 double cut with no binding but a nice flamed
top finished in clear sapphire blue. I've never seen another one.

Take your time, save up and get the real deal. You won't regret it. If its not
you, you can always sell it.

Look for the Hamer archive on the net. You will see the models that were offered.

Good luck in your search.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Take your time.....

The USA guitars are the best. I played several of the later Hamer asian
what ever they were and there is no comparison.

The late 70's through mid 80's are some of the best Hamers made.

Only a few will come up for sale every year. There were several models
and model changes those years. The double cuts have always been one of
my favorites. I've owned a few through the years and wished I'd kept them all !

One of my favorites was a 78 or 79 double cut with no binding but a nice flamed
top finished in clear sapphire blue. I've never seen another one.

Take your time, save up and get the real deal. You won't regret it. If its not
you, you can always sell it.

Look for the Hamer archive on the net. You will see the models that were offered.

Good luck in your search.

While I would love a USA Hamer, I can’t justfy the $$$

Check post #29 and #30 - I pulled the trigger on MIK and I’m digging it

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
While I would love a USA Hamer, I can’t justfy the $$$

Check post #29 and #30 - I pulled the trigger on MIK and I’m digging it
Where did you snag that for $325? That's a tremendous deal!
Getting it that cheap leaves lots of money on the table for upgrading electronics and pickups.
Bootstrap makes a set of humbuckers for $39.99 that would probably set that thing on fire!

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I had an American model of the same thing and it's the only guitar I regret trading away. I remember playing the MIK guitars and they felt and sounded pretty good too. I vote go get it.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
The USA ones can be found for around 1000 if you stalk CL. All the ones I've played have been awesome and I still kick myself for not going home with one of them. The Korean ones I have played have all been just ok, they seem to be nothing special at all, why not get an Epi LP.