GAS Hamer double-cut - Korean. Talk me into or out of it.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Hi All,

I've always loved the look of the Hamer double-cuts. Vintage US made ones are out of reach, but it seems like the MIK models can still be had for around $350.

Any comments on sound, weight, playability, etc... appreciated. I have a Gibson SG, but these seem more like a LP copy.

xrql2jdxqcf9yfeunqrw.jpg

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Hi All,

I've always loved the look of the Hamer double-cuts. Vintage US made ones are out of reach, but it seems like the MIK models can still be had for around $350.

Any comments on sound, weight, playability, etc... appreciated. I have a Gibson SG, but these seem more like a LP copy.

xrql2jdxqcf9yfeunqrw.jpg
I briefly had the Gold Top P90 version. It was a fun guitar. Don't expect me to be the voice of reason. I hear many voices but the reasonable ones are the most quiet.

hamerfan

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I always had a point where i went back to the original. I had a 1984 MIJ Squier, some years later a bought a US Strat, I had Korean Epi Les Paul in the 90ies, years later i bought Gibson Les Paul, but i resistet to buy a Korean Hamer and bought a used 1979 Hamer Special. No regrets.

TheMattJones88

TDPRI Member
I had one for a year or so. It was ehhh? It was nice and lightweight, sounded fine, but I couldn't bond with it. It felt like I was playing a plastic guitar, and it just didn't inspire me to play it. It was a good guitar for the $200 I paid for it, but I don't know that I'd pay much more than that for it.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
You can sometimes find a USA Hamer for under $1000, if that’s more in your reach.

That said, the Korean ones are in Epiphone territory to me, sometimes you can find a gem, but many are just okay. I’ve played a lot of them over the years, Hamer is one of my favorite brands (owned a couple USA). I had an MIK Duotone and a lower end one. Both were good guitars for the money, especially the Duotone which was very good.

I’d be confident it’d be a pretty good guitar.

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Are you sure that one’s Korean? It looks like a later Chinese model

I have a red “Slammer Series”, which was the first Hamer import import line. They seem to be the most highly-thought-of imports, made by Cort. It’s a great guitar and the only Gibby-scale mahogany humbucker guitar I own.

0C8xY76.jpg

Last edited:

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I briefly had the Gold Top P90 version. It was a fun guitar. Don't expect me to be the voice of reason. I hear many voices but the reasonable ones are the most quiet.
I have the Cherry Sunburst version. As mentioned elsewhere here, Epiphone quality, the pickups are hot but have a beautiful growl to them. Nice timber and very nicely put together. The tuners are reasonable only, but overall it's a decent axe and I paid almost nothing for mine.

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not sure about the quality on those but I love the look of them. Hamer USA would definitely be a winner. Hamer made some fine guitars along the way.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
I have the Cherry Sunburst version. As mentioned elsewhere here, Epiphone quality, the pickups are hot but have a beautiful growl to them. Nice timber and very nicely put together. The tuners are reasonable only, but overall it's a decent axe and I paid almost nothing for mine.
I bought mine used for $160 CAD with a hardcase about 4-5 years ago just to goof around on for a bit and see what it was all about. It was a decent guitar with no quality issues. The pickups did love gain but didn't clean up as nice as other P-90's. I might have kept it a while longer but lucked into a Gibson with P-90's.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's

I have a red “Slammer Series”, which was the first Hamer import import line. They seem to be the most highly-thought-of imports, made by Cort. It’s a great guitar and the only Gibby-scale mahogany humbucker guitar I own.

Yeah - stock photo, might be Chinese. Nice to hear you got a good one.

I'm not sure about the quality on those but I love the look of them. Hamer USA would definitely be a winner. Hamer made some fine guitars along the way.

Would love a USA Hamer, but my main guitars are always Fenders. Can’t justify the cost for a backup guitar.

I’ve been doing more research and it’s hard to pin down specs and models. Some of them seem to have narrow necks, which would be a deal breaker.

I’m going to (try) to be patient and see if anything shows up locally. The quality and reviews are all over the place on these. Would want to try before buying. May launch a parallel search for a Les Paul.

widefault

Tele-Meister

0C8xY76.jpg
I had one of these myself, although with black plastics and Duncan Designed pickups. Had it the same time I had a Korean PRS SE. For me, there was no real difference between the two. I preferred the Hamer, but mostly because I like the way it hung on a strap better, the PRS was always slightly off-center for me.
xKmQKAi.jpg