1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

GAS getting out of hand? Or maybe not!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JGervs1102, Feb 13, 2020.

1. JGervs1102

JGervs1102 TDPRI Member

Over the past 6 months I have acquired basically a whole new rig.

I have been playing the same gear, relatively uninspired by my tone, and uninformed about how to fix it, and not playing more than a couple hours a month for years. For the last 6-8 months though, I have been buying/selling/trading but most importantly playing A LOT. Probably 8 hours a week minimum. Sometimes 2-3 hours a day. I can thank my fiancée for buying John Mayer tickets and getting me back into playing.

Bought a classic 70s strat for $350, didn’t like it and sold it for $550.

Bought a Blues Deluxe for $350, traded that for a 95 MIM strat with original HSC. (amazing guitar). I think I traded UP there.

Traded my Gibson LPJ that I bought 3 years ago and it basically just sat on my wall, for a 2007 MIM Tele. I only paid $300 for the LPJ.

Bought a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb for an OK price. I can sell and get my money back plus a little.

Sold my Orange Micro Dark with Orange 12” cab and Blues jr tweed for a cumulative $850.

Bought a DRRI for $550 and a 93 MIM strat with the $300. They are both amazing, big amp upgrade..

Ditched the old pedal board I made from a pallet and Bought a pedal train 1 WITH case for $50. Then added a couple pedals, ya know... cuz I had the extra room on the board, and a power supply to clean up all those wires.

I have my 2014 strat that I bought new for $400 from GC listed and have an offer for $350 plus a brand new Boss BD-2. Not sure if I’m gonna take it or not yet. I might.

I feel like I’ve really upgraded my rig for not a lot of $ out of pocket, mainly using trades or $ from sales, and a lot of hours on FB marketplace/reverb.

crazy thing is my fiancée STILL wants to marry me in 2 months! It’s turned into another hobby of mine now. I basically try to keep my gear $ pool strictly for gear and try not to add much to it from personal funds.

2 questions. Do you ever say OK thats enough for now? Or are you always looking and if there’s a good deal on something you just pick it up? I feel that as long as I can sell for what I bought then it’s not a big deal. Splurging on your credit card for a piece of gear that you can’t really afford is obviously an issue. I’m playing around with my gear fund, with relatively low cost gear too so that helps.

Next question. I am going to sell the 68 Custom. It sounds like it’s in a closet and under a blanket compared to the Deluxe. I am totally in love with my DRRI and don’t really think I even need a second amp, but I do like having 2 amps. Would it be a waste of funds to buy a PRRI to pair with the DRRI? Are they too similar tonally?

2. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Haha, gas comes and goes. Welcome back to the insanity. You won’t get help “curing” your ailment here. There is a gas support group that meets every other Thursday at the local YMCA

Bluego1 likes this.
  3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad I only got pedal GAS. Fortunately I sold off my extras, and my pedalboard is somewhat under control now. :)

4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

First, Marry her! She’s a keeper. Most women would run the other way. Just keep using your gear fund to support your hobby, er I mean GAS. If you start doing the credit thing then you are crossing that boundary of hobby to obsession. Stick with th DRRI. Sell off the 68 if you don’t like it.

NewKid likes this.
  5. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Here's the general map.....Children extinguish gas. Buy now to get you through those years. Then it reignites once they are out of college. In which you go completely nuts prior to retirement.

teletimetx, Rockinvet and Obsessed like this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Or, you could do these relatively simple mods to your 68 CPR and keep it. I was ready to sell mine until I did these mods.

• R34 resistor mod. Plenty of info on the internet on this one. You basically just solder a jumper wire to the R34 resistor so it takes it out of the tone circuit.
    • Put a 12AY7 preamp tube in V3.
    • Replace the stock speaker with an Eminence Alessandro GA10SC 64.
    Best of luck on whatever you decide.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The quest is a cool thing!
    You’re (we’re) talking about our “voice” as players.
    It can take decades.
    My all time favorite rig “landed” on me about 12 years ago.
    I was a B bender Tele into a Twin guy, with a trio of floor toys (TC Chorus, Tube Screamer, Boss DM2 delay).
    Now I’m a Chet Atkins Country Gent into a Roland Cube guy, no pedals whatsoever.
    Perfect for me.
    My rig is light, loud (enough), versatile, dependable and affordable.
    I still buy stuff, and I enjoy it, BUT, my rig has “arrived”.
    Enjoy your quest!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Obsessed likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I had a year like that last year, it was a rollercoaster of gear buys and sells. Looking forward to doing just a couple more deals and standing pat for quite a while....congrats on getting back to playing, that's the most important thing.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 Yup, this is what it is about ... finding your own voicing. You are in the midst of this quest and everyone's search is different and uniquely their own. Finding it can be very elusive. Accept you path and enjoy the adventure.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have bought/sold/traded a lot of stuff during the past 2 years. I just wanted to try lots of different things, since I got back into playing. But now I'm done. I have more than I need or deserve, and am in the mood to pare down to essentials.

I would say if you're main amp is a DRRI, a smaller amp would be a good complement. There are lots of occasions where you only need much less volume. I had a 68CPR, which I liked, but eventually replaced with a 65PRRI, which I am totally happy with. you could live your whole life with just those 2 amps, and never need another. They don't do the gain thing that some other amps do, but that's what pedals are for, if you want it.

11. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I don’t see a John Mayer Silver Sky on your list?

DRRI definitely a great upgrade. I wouldn’t need a second amp.

I bought 5 new electrics last year so I’m good for now. I’m currently in month 2 of a six-month new guitar ban (self-imposed).

Of course I am still looking but the good news is that it’s going to take something pretty special to break into my collection now.

Some recent guitars I’ve tried and passed on:
    1. Fender American Ultra Tele in Texas Tea finish
    2. Used Eric Johnson Strat in excellent condition
    3. New Les Paul 60s Standard
    4. PRS McCarty
    5. Player Strat in Shell Pink with tort pick-guard and maple neck
    6. Yamaha Revstar RS502

All nice but none would bump my Squier Tele Deluxe that I bought as a demo for $300. I know that sounds crazy but those expensive guitars (except the Player Strat and Revstar) would make me feel wasteful right now. I have enough.

12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I’d add a second Deluxe Reverb and that’d be it for my Sound and Tone. I agree with Squiers, they’re my favorites be they Standards or Vintage Modifieds.
    The Girl is without question a keeper.
    Best Wishes.
    -stan

13. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar Tele-Meister

GAS will probably remain a constant throughout your life.

The more time you play and begin to discover your musical voice, you will pass through gear that may or may not get you closer to that voice in your heart.

You will score gear on deals, you will overpay for other items... as time moves on there will be gear that you wish you hadn’t sold, leading you to a new quest to re-acquire.... it’s all part of the GAS.

enjoy the hobby, get in a band with some people. That’s when it really is fun.

14. JGervs1102

JGervs1102 TDPRI Member

Not really into the Silver Sky that much believe it or not. I thought about adding another DRRI instead of the Princeton. And yes she’s definitely a keeper.

15. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Good deal taking advantage of GAS while you're single. I'm recently divorced, and between not having the Ex Extra Expense around to siphon off half my paycheck, there's nobody around to tell me not to buy anything. :D

Let's see... in the last 18 months since being single
    Cool pawn shop tele with Bigsby
    Brand new Gretsch
    Epiphone jumbo acoustic
    Banjo
    Upright bass is on the way
    New compressor pedal and a reverb pedal for my little bedroom practice amp
    Condenser mic & pop filter for recording
    Mic stand
    Recording preamp thingy to help record through the computer thingy - haven't played with that yet
    New truck
    Oh, and the lake house.... and boat.

And here I am starting to date someone again. Someone talk me out of this!

16. JGervs1102

JGervs1102 TDPRI Member

Truck, lake house AND a boat...nice :cool:

17. CDox

CDox Tele-Meister

I have bad gas all the time. Hahaha. I’m always looking and buying. I am an addict. I’ve got 9 amps and 11 guitars. I’ve been getting into the vintage game the past two years. Thankfully my wife doesn’t say anything. Maybe the occasional “ did you really need that Marshall 18 watt amp you just got this week?” But at the end of the day it’s my money I spend. Could be worse, I don’t do drugs anymore.

18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

My gear purchases are fueled by gigging. Playing around the house does not alone influence me to buy anything. I buy very little stuff regardless. Learning new songs and licks keeps me invigorated!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.