GAS does win, doesn't it???

jbmando

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I recently got GAS for an SG with a Vibrola. I wanted a white one, but they are impossible to find unless you want a $4-7000 Gibson. Well, I kept looking for the Epiphone version of the cherry one, but I do not care for the look of Epi's "Aged Cherry" stripes. Then I was on American Musical's site and there was a Gibson version in the 'old' Cherry look I am used to, with a hard shell case. I ran the numbers, if I sell a bass which should be easy to sell, and pulled the trigger on the SG; I won't go under if I don't sell the bass, but I'll feel a lot better. I just didn't want to miss out on the SG.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I reckon that if you hold out long enough (say a year maybe?) you can call it a push.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
No, not always. This is a hobby for me at the end of the day, it has to be 100% discretionary funding or nothing. I try to be 1 in, 1 out so that I don't clutter my home with guitars I never play, and I have to be able to pay for gear I buy from slush fund money, if I have to get the Gibson, I have to have that cash saved up in a piggy bank already.

I have GAS for a Jazzmaster and another Vox amp right now but I have a NGD from just last month. Need to chill.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I'm well off financially (after being born dirt poor) and God knows I love guitars and have had and have some great ones, but I will never succumb to GAS. I've turned "I want" into a more general fascination and appreciation and smart, patient buying and selling have put me in a spot where's I'm pretty much ahead on my guitar balance sheet. I've found that I avoid whims but also manage to achieve the really enduring and "right for me" stuff. I'm against materialistic thinking, so I don't want more stuff -- I want stuff that will inspire me musically, not stuff to drool on.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Every decision in life comes with a risk. I don't see a big risk when buying a good solid wood acoustic as they generally hold their value or even improve with time, but solid bodies scare me as they often go the other way.

As I look around the room, there are a few solid bodies that I haven't played in months yet GAS drove me to purchase them. Sometimes you win and it turns out to be a real keeper for life, but not always.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Here’s a graphical explanation of the importance of GAS in our environment. Basically GAS is essential.
upload_2021-11-26_23-8-13.jpeg

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
GAS can be a problem, like anything else. It can be healthy, and unhealthy.
It's good to mentally consider expanding your arsenal and capabilities with X but it can also hurt you by taking brainpower away from just playing (while beating you in the wallet).

It's like water; you die without enough of it, and with too much , you're still dead. Finding balance is the trick.

I wanted an SG once. Then remembered I like the idea of an SG, but the feel of a LP when I was "shopping".
Good luck, at any rate.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
Every time I feel/say: “I am finally all set, no need to even look at any more gear”, I am destined to buy some new piece of gear.

It’s horrible. However, I cannot wait for the amp I just bought to arrive.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Some try hypnotherapy, or gum, or patches. Whatever path to recovery you take, it will also require resolve and will-power.

Just avoid anyone who suggests your desires are Freudian
...... say I, as I glance through the corner of my eye at the curves on the body of a classical guitar.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Every time I feel/say: “I am finally all set, no need to even look at any more gear”, I am destined to buy some new piece of gear.

It’s horrible. However, I cannot wait for the amp I just bought to arrive.

I know that feeling, I get more excited about amp deliveries than guitars. I'm almost set on guitars, but I feel like amps I could always use more of.

I have no idea how I went from 2006 to 2014 only buying strings and tubes.....

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I know that feeling, I get more excited about amp deliveries than guitars. I'm almost set on guitars, but I feel like amps I could always use more of.

I have no idea how I went from 2006 to 2014 only buying strings and tubes.....

Me too. When I get, or even think about getting, a guitar, I feel sort of guilty, like I am cheating on my #1. I got one recently and then sold it shortly after because of not enjoying it. Maybe the guilt had something to do with it. But amps feel safe to me.

I have an amp on its way but I just found myself looking at a good deal on a silver face Champ :)

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
Life is short, if the bills are paid and you can afford it with cash buy it. I own alot of guitars, but I only add new ones that bring something different. Since most of my time is recording in the basement, I am currently in a holding phase. I will upgrade a model I already own, but that guitar goes to offset part of the purchase.

saleake

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I am a horse person. One thing I know about horses is that you have to buy and try a horse. Some horses you think you will like but you don’t. And the horse you are not wild about turns out to be your favorite. You keep the ones you like and you sell the ones you don’t.

I’m the same way with guitars and amps. I buy and try. If they work out, I keep them. If not, I sell them.

srvy

TDPRI Member
I am a horse person. One thing I know about horses is that you have to buy and try a horse. Some horses you think you will like but you don’t. And the horse you are not wild about turns out to be your favorite. You keep the ones you like and you sell the ones you don’t.

I’m the same way with guitars and amps. I buy and try. If they work out, I keep them. If not, I sell them.

I am the son of cattlemen who always said horses are nothing but hay burners. Dad was so tight we looked at new equipment but made do with what we had money was spent at a cattle auction. I didn't inherit his thriftiness, I want, I bought then sold and bought something else. Now I got gas for the Supro delta king 12 at GC. I have hit the Paypal thunder button 3 times and backed out. I am now down to about 25 hours and decided to back off from the bourbon and think on it. Maybe I am becoming my late father and showing resistance. But we all know with GAS resistance is futile.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Me too. When I get, or even think about getting, a guitar, I feel sort of guilty, like I am cheating on my #1. I got one recently and then sold it shortly after because of not enjoying it. Maybe the guilt had something to do with it. But amps feel safe to me.

I have an amp on its way but I just found myself looking at a good deal on a silver face Champ :)

I feel safe with pedals. They’re typically affordable enough that I can buy one here and there and not feel guilty about it.

That’s usually true for guitars around $400 or cheaper, too. If I play one that really grabs me, I’ll pull the trigger without much thought. Anything more than that, and I hem and haw and get buyers remorse usually. Also, it’s just kind of rare I play guitars in that range I love, but it does happen (it did this weekend!)

But in my heart I’m a one guitar guy, it feels weird that I currently have two, ha.

Tele-friend

Tele-Holic
If you are stubborn enough, the gas doesnt win. When I get gas, I just wait till it goes away (which it does sooner or later).
One in - one out is also a great rule.

jbmando

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Ended up paying out $544.00 for the SG with a HSC. Gibson gives you a nice multi-tool in what they call the "Accessory Kit." I'm happy with the deal, don't miss the bass and GAS is in remission for a while.

Last edited: