Gas Can CBG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Zepfan, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I found a gas can on the curb side 2 months ago and took it home for this purpose.;) It will be a 4 string 25" scale CBG with 22 frets.

The filler/pour spout will be my soundhole. It will need a arch body type bridge. I have humbucker that I could put in it, but I keep thinking about a P90.
    Got the through piece cut and decided that it needed something to keep it from flexing. Can't install braces inside a can, so I dug out a channel along the through piece the length of the can and put a 1/8" x 1/2" piece of steel flat bar in it. That should keep it from flexing.

Made a scarf joint for the neck and headstock. Need to cut a channel for the non-adjust trussrod(3/8ths inch steel rod). Then I can shape the headstock and back of the neck.

Attached Files:

2. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Following

3. Zepfan

Thanks

Does anyone know what the degree is for an angled neck pocket?

4. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

Sweet! Cigar box guitars are so much fun to play. Here's my CGB a friend made for me. The pickup is custom wound from some guy in Texas. The bridge is a 30-08 rifle bullet and It opens up in the back for storage and has a neat little slide holder! ImageUploadedByTDPRI1442720000.762919.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1442720018.540659.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1442720029.976122.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1442720073.282128.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1442720106.564910.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1442720117.632063.jpg

5. Zepfan

That looks nice. Has a worn vibe to it.

There's a CBG club here on the TDPRI and if you get a chance check these guy's out. http://www.cigarboxnation.com/

6. Zepfan

Whether has had me down today, didn't get anything done.

7. Zepfan

Got the through piece back into the can. Hogged a channel in the neck for the non-adjustable 3/8ths" steel truss rod. Shaped the back of the neck. Glued the rod in place.
    When it come to shaping the back of the neck, I start off using a 1/2" roundover bit then use a scraper, rasp file and sandpaper to finish. For scrapers I use utility knife blades and a cheap serrated steak knife that works surprisingly well.

Attached Files:

8. Zepfan

Next up will be adding wings to the headstock and shaping. Then I can drill for tuners and install them. After that, I'll have to wait a while til I get paid and can order some parts.
    While waiting I'll start working on the neck for my 6 string small rectangular solid body license plate guitar.I'll start another thread for that soon.

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

How many strings on the gas can? I ask because I just busted up two sets of Fender style tuners to use on a 7 string baritone. The baritone is four on one side three on the other. Conventional math would indicate I have five tuners left over but the actual number is three, two right handed and one left handed. In typical Fender style one tuner per set took a whack when it was mounted on a guitar.

10. Zepfan

4 String. I just prefer having 4 over 3. The tuners you have left would be just right for a 3 string.

11. Zepfan

The neck is ready for a fretboard and tuners. I put wings on the headstock and tried to cut a snakehead style shape, it didn't work well. I ended up cutting most of the wings off and decided to leave it as is.
    I erased my pencil lines on top of the rust on the ends of the can and removed a good bit of rust in the process. So I went over it lightly with some sandpaper leaving a nice patina and some clear on the can.

12. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

13. Zepfan

I'll post a couple pics of the can soon. Otherwise I'm at a stand still til parts get ordered.

14. Zepfan

I wanted to put a P90 in this, but money is tight and I got a neck position HB just sitting here. I guess I'll just use the HB with a coil tap and be done with it.

15. Zepfan

Working on the fretboard. Couple of can pics.

Attached Files:

16. Zepfan

Had my Fretboard cut to size, slots cut for frets and started drilling for fret markers when I messed it up. I decided to drill the fret markers on the top edge and side edge to eliminate having to do side markers later. Even used forstner bits and took it slowly. Red Oak doesn't take this approach well and had too much tear out. So I get to start over, Yay.:mad::rolleyes:

17. Zepfan

Now that I've cooled down, I'll look into possibly salvaging this fretboard if I can.

18. Zepfan

Salvaging the fretboard was a bust. Time to start over.

19. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice work.

20. Zepfan

Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.