Gary Clark Jrs New Album Blak and Blu!!!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Loganloveguitar, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Loganloveguitar

Loganloveguitar Tele-Holic

man is this album good, I love the fuzzy bluesy hendrixy/Doyle Bramhall like songs like Third Stone From The Sun/ If You Love Me Like You Say , Numb and love his more soulful and hip hop side with blak and blu and the life and Soul.. great artist. Anyone else love this album ?

2. brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill TDPRI Member

I love it and hate it at the same time. It sounds really unfocused to me. Each to his own. I think it's daring to mix those types of songs together on a record. Just my opinion. The fuzzy stuff is awesome.

3. wanderingyankee

wanderingyankee TDPRI Member

4. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

I thought he did the same hendrixy solo too many times throughout he album - but I love that he took his time and didn`t noodle at warp speed . . .
    He reminded me more of the Black Keys and Jack White than any older blues music -the next generation is here already . . .

5. Loganloveguitar

Loganloveguitar Tele-Holic

yeah I'm a big fan of his fuzzy bluesy rock songs on the album, if i'm in the mood I listen to The Life an Blak and Blu and Soul but mostly the fuzzy goodness haha

6. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Yeah i too like the fuzzy stuff on this record.... didnt get a good sound with the way huge swollen pickle pedal when trying to get close to his sound... traded it for a fulltone distorion pro.... which has a saturation knob on it... which was kind of like a built in fuzz... got pretty close and the tubes are singing now... love a lot of the stuff... except when he tries to sound like Marvin Gaye... or when he scratches like a dj on the git... a wonderful talent though... one of my favorite newer artists... listening at work to this often.

7. PeteMac

PeteMac Friend of Leo's

Loving the album . . . it's an interesting mix of material/styles but I have really taken to it. I've got tickets to see him here in Melbourne in January.

8. brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill TDPRI Member

My opinion, he's much better live. The album is pretty slick to me but live you get what i hoped i'd get from the record. I'm curious how it goes...

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

The best song and performance I have ever seen him do was the other day on VH1 where it was just him acoustic solo. His rhythm and tone was impressive, and the song was good too. Anybody know what I am talking about?

10. csbluesman

csbluesman Tele-Meister

Tele-bastard, on his really fuzzy songs I think Gary used the Fulltone Octafuzz.

11. tele-bastard

Thats cool... i had no idea he used Fulltone.

12. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Been listening to this all day at work. 3rd Stone/If you Love Me... has been my anthem for the past week. I'm impressed with the guy's versatility as a musician and his simplicity as a guitarist.

13. tele-bastard

Simply great non-commercial song.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.