1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gardenia Waltz Chords

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by bender72, Aug 31, 2009.

1. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Can someone tab out these chords???

2. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Okay, I've got most of it figured out except for what the guitar player is hitting at 1:11, it sounds like some sort of F# variation...
    The other part is at 1:36, right after the Gmaj it hits some sort of A# variation....

NE 1???

3. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I'll try to look at next few days; I have a gig tonight. I looked at it this morning and figured G Bm/F# Em G // G G#dim Am(7?) D7 , then I was going to have listen to the descending D chord stuff.

4. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Gave it a quick listen. Could 1:11 be a clam? At 1:36 I can't really hear the guitar very well; I know he goes from G to Em, then G G#dim D B7 E7 A7 D, but I can't hear the actual voicings very well. I'll give another listen later.

5. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

Right after the Gmaj at 1:34, it sounds like he hits an A#minor or some variation of that. I know he's hitting the top E string at the 6th fret, but I can't figure the rest.
    Also, what's he hitting at 1:02 right after the Dmaj...??

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

bender, at that 1:11 phrase...
    The low notes are B,C,F#,A
    I think he is doing something like this...
    Em/B, C, BM/F#, A7....leading back to the D.
    AS I noted in my email, this section is a bit murky....

approaching 1:36...
    D/A,D/b...or Bm if you wish, D/C#,
    D, D7, Em.
    G, Em, G, Gm
    D,C#,C,B7,
    Em, A7 and D to finish that section.

This is how I hear it.....For that Gm after the G, you can use that Bb on the 6th string as the low note. The guitar by itself will sound as a Bb chord, but I still hear the whole as a Gm. THE fiddler's melody brings on the Gm to the ear and makes the Bb a passing note to my ear.

7. Wally

Okay, Bender, here's my final thought on that chord sequence. Play this and see if it works for you.
    Following the G, play
    X
    X

By itself, this is a Bb6 chord, but it sounds as a Gm in the sequence with the fiddle going on to my ear.

8. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

I've been hitting that sequence (starting at 1:07) as...

-------------------------
    --3---3---3--------------
    --------------2----------
    --2---2-------2----------
    --2---3---x---2----------
    ----------2--------------
    --E7--C--F#?-A

It's sounding okay to me, but I'm not sure about the F#? chord that he's hitting, I just know that that's the note he's hitting on the Big E string, maybe it's called something else, but I'm not big into theory/scales/chords I just know where the fingers go and that's about it. :lol:

9. Wally

--E7--C--F#?-A
    That would be an Em7. The F# in the bass is a transition to the A7....it is a 6th to the A chord and hints at the relative minor of the A chord...F#minor, maybe????
    Once again, this is a murky area in the song....but it is some form of an A7, I believe.
    How did the Gm/Bb structure suit you? When I added the D on ;the 3rd string it came to life for me.

10. bender72

bender72 Tele-Holic

I think he's hitting a F#m7 at 1:11... Not sure, but I've seen another youtube clip of another lady playing this tune, and the guitar player looks like he's hitting a F#m7 at that point in the song...

11. Wally

My apologies for an ill-written response above. I got stuck on the first chord of that phrase. That chord should be Em7 instead of E7, to my ear. I agree that the F# formation is muddy. I think what BEnder is doing works...the F# on the 6th and the D note on the 2nd string, 3rd fret. What do you call it? I hear it as a move back to the I of the key...that is, D in some form with an F# in the bass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.