1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Garcia/Grisman jam session

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

This is awesome. Two giants, just jamming and figuring it out like normal people. Noisy room, time constraints, "do you know this?", consulting the book of words, miscue on the matches. Good stuff.

frank a, scook, Dan R and 4 others like this.
  2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Many years ago I was at a vintage guitar show in Northern California, crouched down on the floor, trying out blues and ragtime on some old Martin, when I noticed a pair of shoes stopping in front of me. Someone was watching me. I kept my head down and kept playing, trying to ignore them while I tried the guitar out, but they weren't moving.

So eventually I looked up, past the blue jeans, past the t-shirt, and past the beard...and that's when I realized it was David Grisman staring down at me watching me play.

I smiled. He smiled.

And that's enough for me.

3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for posting. Jerry had so many interesting and rewarding musical relationships. The one with Grisman was really special. One of my favorite recordings is Garcia/Grisman's "So What" cd taking a "jazz/grass" run at the Miles Davis composition from Kind of Blue. Here's a live version of it...

scook and Jared Purdy like this.
  4. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Is there anything not to like about these two musical wizards?

5. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

I spend about half my musical life in bluegrass bands, and this sound remains my eternal fountain of inspiration

P Thought likes this.
  6. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

This has long been one of my favorite recordings.

7. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

What I enjoyed about that video was it was so casual. Could have been any two dudes. Taking about music, who they know, who's doing what. Doing what people do, smoking, running over the words, tending to noisy kids. Not superstars not on stage. It was 30 years ago, but after we've seen into everyone's home over the past year and the people I work with...suits and ties...are down to athleisure wear and fed ex showing up in the middle of a meeting....everyone is equal as human beings. Or something.

I'm guessing Jerry is about my age in this video. He always seem like an old man. Busy beard and old man glasses. Not "cool" but cool by being uncool.

As I age and find videos of musicians I like, I figure out how old they are in the video and how when I was 20 I though they must have known everything and how at middle age...I know a lot but not everything and how it probbaly is the same for famous people.

Ok that was a ramble.

8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Old and in the way.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.