Garageband issues and questions

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by estreet, Oct 28, 2018.

1. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

I started this thread because of discussions coming up in 'Twanger Central'. Feel free to ask a question though. I will help if I can

G-52 and stratwilly like this.
  2. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Hi Estreet

Here's one that's been bugging me. Is there any way to set up a sub mix so I can change settings on multiple tracks simultaneously?

This would be really useful for drums or multi track guitar parts. Once I have the drums in and mixed I may just want to apply volume or reverb changes to the whole mix and not have to do each track independently.

Thanks

3. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. Hopefully we won't drown you with questions! My biggest challenge at the moment is when I import backing tracks into GB, they are usually too hot and my lead track makes the final mix clip. What I just discovered is that I can EQ the backing track and reduce the gain a bit, either straight into the EQ editor or from a preset such as "Reduce Sharpness."

EDIT: If you know of another or better way, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  4. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

OK... so assuming you have downloaded the backing track (you can just drag it into the GB window to import it in case you didn't know) then, by manipulation of the the 3 volume sliders marked in the picture you should be able to control the levels of the track and your guitar both whilst recording and for mixing. If the track is too loud then bring down it's fader, adjust your guitar volume to taste and then bring up the master volume till the combination just stays out of the red. Hoping that is clear. If you are using the older version of GB it's still all much the same. Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 14.46.06.png

5. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

The short answer is no and I wish that facility was there too. However - using drums as an example - you could just solo the drum tracks only, mix them and then 'export song to disk' uncompressed. Then you drag the exported audio file back into GB, mute your original drum tracks and you can then control the drum volumes on just the one fader. I realise this method isn't as good as a proper sub-mix because you would have to do it again if you wanted to tweak your drum mix - but it can be helpful and I have used it particularly for backing vox.

AAT65 likes this.
  6. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Egads! Guess I was way overthinking this one. Thanks @estreet.

7. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

That’s how Apple gets people to upgrade to Logic Pro - GarageBand is great for simple projects but when you learn more you need more.

Martin R likes this.
  8. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

I came to Garageband from Sonar on the PC though and I liked the way it made me keep it simple. Nearly everything I do is just played anyway rather than programmed and if I get it wrong I play it again rather than edit it. Yes, there is stuff I wish was there but nonetheless over the last 10 years I've recorded/mixed quite a lot of stuff that has been commercially released and played on UK national radio that was all done in Garageband. I actually prefer to use the really old 6.0.5 version too - mainly because I bought plug ins for it and they won't work on the 64 bit version. There is some great stuff on the new version - like the mellotron samples for example - but none of it is stuff I really need. Nonetheless, I suppose one day I'll have to jump ship to logic as the old GB does have a few issues on High Sierra now.

GuitarPix likes this.
  9. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

This is related, but I don't know if you can help...
    I just got my first iPhone. It's a used 6s with iOS 12.0.1
    I go to the istore to download the GarageBand app. It says it's compatible with my phone, so I try and download it. It then tells me I need at least iOS 12.0 to download the app...
    Any ideas?

10. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

How much free storage do you have? GarageBand needs 1.57GB space for the App (& more for any content of course). The AppStore error message might be a bit misleading.

11. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

I got over 100 gigs usable.
    Just tried again... No luck, sigh.
    Any other simular apps that are good?

12. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Hi Kerle

In running iOS 12.0.1 on an iPhone 6s+ and it works fine :

IMG_0787.JPG

I know it sounds strange but try backing up, then shut down and re-start and try again.

It should 'just work'. Failing that pop into an apple store - they should be able to help. There's are lots of other iOS DAW Apps out there but Garageband is one of the best.

13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hey @estreet. Can we add to our library of Amps and cabinets in GB and if so do you have any recommendations?

I’ve been pretty happy with the built in ones and I’ve modded some for my own purposes but the other day I was thinking it might be nice to have more generic and less affected amps to choose from. It seems the ones that come packaged in my version of El Capitan are a little over the top. When they’ve got chorus, it chorus maxed out or delay/echo just over the top.

Are the amp models different in Sierra, High Sierra and Mohave?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Andrew

14. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Hi Andrew

Welcome to the rabbit hole of plugins. GarageBand for Mac works with freely available Audio Unit plugins. There are thousands of the out there that will give you all kinds of instruments, effects and other tools.

My favourite guitar amp ones are here:

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-fx/

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-amp/

These are both quite expensive which may not be great value unless you use them a lot.

Hope this helps.

awasson likes this.
  15. awasson

Thanks. Now I think I’ll be getting myself into some trouble. The standard packs don’t seem to be too expensive but yes I see how the pro versions are a bit of a premium. Pretty cool products though. The descriptions certainly make them compelling. I think I may may get the standards just to get my feet wet.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

16. awasson

Oh, hey another question...

I’ve got one of the 5K iMac’s. Its an early 2016. It’s either an i5 or i7. It’s got 32GB of Ram and can go up to 64GB. I’m running El Capitan so it’s a few versions behind.

If I do a fair bit of recording on a project. Maybe 6 tracks of audio. Eventually it will get a lot of latency between what I’m recording (playing) and what gets recorded. What I record will be milliseconds behind when it gets recorded or there’s distortion or phasing that gets introduced.

I think it could be a hard disk read write issue as opposed to processor or ram. Do you know any tips in configuring a Mac for optimum performance?

I’m pretty sure my recording aren’t that sophisticated that it should be taxing the system the way it does.

Thanks,
    Andrew

17. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Ooo! I just discovered this thread. I just got an interface and started playing round with GB, so you may be seeing me around a lot in the near future!

awasson likes this.
  18. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Since it's been a few days without an answer I'm going to jump in. Do you have an external drive for media? Use the computer's hard drive for the app and put all your music on an external HD.

awasson likes this.
  19. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

You might want to call :

(800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753), 7 days a week from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Central. Good luck!

20. awasson

Good to know. I have numerous external drives I can use. I’ll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.