1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Garage Sale Finds ... Lets see yours

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lost_N_Austin, May 3, 2021.

1. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Spring has sprung and my neighborhood had its area wide Home Owner Garage sale on Saturday. I have Scored several great Buys that I will chronicle here but if You Have some good stories to share, feel free to jump right in.

I'll start with an inconspicuous item laid out with lots of stuff on a table in the driveway two blocks away. Even though I don't currently carry a Money Clip, one caught my eye. One of two really. I asked how much and the guy says "How about a Dollar?". DONE

I'll post the pictures and a link below but suffice to say as I polished this thing up later in the day I noticed an inscription that peaked my interest.
    IMG_8030[1].PNG

IMG_8028[1].JPG

The search on Ebay was pretty interesting. Here is one match that I located. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=133671168037

Turns out Tiffany Silver plus Pablo Picasso's daughter as a designer can turn a one dollar find in to a $300.00 bonanza. Now I realize I don't have the Tiffany Bag to go with it but I'll be on the lookout for one.

The second clip in the photo (also a dollar) isn't worth as much but since it is Sterling Silver as well, it is worth $11.00 just in the value of the Silver.

Okay. I've got more just from this last Saturday but I'm saving them till tomorrow. One includes a Fender guitar and case.

Next?

Lost_N_Austin

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

That would pique my interest also. Nice score.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Last weekend, I bought a pair of tulip glasses for making sundaes for my children. My son loves the turtle sundae I made for him. Buck a piece.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Found this Glen Burton guitar at a garage sale for $20. I offered $10 and walked away with it for $15. I leveled and polished the frets, made a custom shape pickguard and matching truss adj. plate, and installed a Duncan JB. It's a peach of a guitar.

[​IMG]

5. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My father found this ‘64 Gibson Falcon amp for $35 back in the fall of ‘88. It still has its original Jensen speaker. One of these days I’m going to get it overhauled.

BFEEEB12-1911-4C0C-B805-0D4CE706B154.jpeg

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

195_? Airline acoustic.

$1.00, less the penney that was rolling around in it.

Love it.

1F047192-B589-49FE-BDD8-F9F2336A5C35.jpeg 0120DD9D-1D72-473C-9246-AD16D582C7E9.jpeg 581A7DEC-CBBA-45A4-B9E0-C25A9048A8CE.jpeg 5321E3F0-D44B-428A-9176-C8E3957475D0.jpeg 2C9EF7B9-0FC3-4995-A7F7-515DA9E5F3CB.jpeg

7. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Love it!
    No pics 'cause it's gone now, but I had the little sister to this amp - the Epiphone Pacemaker.
    Cool little amp.
    Peace - Deeve

Slip Kid and Fendereedo like this.
  8. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I hate garage sales. Sitting in my driveway all day having people offer me 50cents for items marked $1. I’d rather throw it in the garbage.

naveed211 and Crafty Fox like this.
  9. Lost_N_Austin

Got any Money Clips? I’ll give you the whole dollar.

10. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My wife and I held a couple yard sales years ago. We hated dealing with the vultures who would show up hours in advance of the published starting time, wanting to be waited on while we were clearly busy setting up.

Then there was the guy who picked up one of those ultrasonic humidifiers that were popular in the ‘90s; grey-smoked plastic water tank, white plastic base with an OFF/LOW/HIGH knob, grey plastic nozzle at the top. Dude holds it up and says, “Is this a record player?”

We got out of the yard sale business after that.

lmjmitchell likes this.
  11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just had to buy this.
    A homage to narcissism's golden age-- paving the way for today's selfie schtick.
    FB_IMG_1570590380418.jpg

hemingway likes this.
  12. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A friend picked up a Leslie 125 for $20 and gave it to me (I was doing Hammonds at the time). The finish was thrashed, but it played just fine!

richiek65 likes this.
  13. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I'd use up the internet, but some recent highlights:

Allied amp kit for $1 - it had a pair of Mullard EL84s, two Mullard 12AX7s and a Mullard rectifier tube. Sold the tubes, and the empty chassis, made about $450. Held one 12AX7 back for my JCM800, wow.

Pair of Yamaha NS10s for $80, flipped them immediately for $450.

Lots of Nikon lenses and camera stuff, usually make $70-80 on each.

Pair of Made in UK Doc Martens for $10, made $60 on those.

$200 Mountain Hardwear Goretex jacket for $9. Kept it.

My wife got a Briggs and Riley carry-on suitcase for $4 last week.

Tons of decent mid-fi stereo gear, usually in the $10-20 range. I buy it and hook my friends up with nice sound.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. G3Hanz

G3Hanz TDPRI Member

Garage sales are not very common here (illegal?) but we do have "Kingsday" (april 27, the King's birthday) when people are allowed to sell their stuff out on the streets. Love shopping on Kingsday, found lots of decent and/or profitable items over the years. My favourite: a shoebox full of guitar cables, 12 in total, took the whole box for 7 Euro's. Cables were all made by "Klotz", top quality and 15 years later i'm still using them.

BB likes this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I got a decent Browning compound bow for $20.

I bought a Ruger Single Six (22 and 22 cal magnum) pistol for $90.

lmjmitchell likes this.
  16. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

It's not a popular opinion, but there were times in Barbra's heyday she was HAF.

'A Star Is Born' was not one of those times.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yea, that's like your opinion man.
    How bout Kris??

:)

18. Lucius Paisley

Re: garage sales.

If you saw the mark ups we in Australia have to pay for to get nice things, even you'd be disgusted at the type of prices people put on their garbage at these "sales".

However, an ex did once pay $2 (eff the conversion rate, $2 is cheap everywhere) for a used doctor's mannequin, without the plastic internals.

That was cool.

19. Lucius Paisley

Kris was somebody who needed time to grow into his looks.

I mean, how cool was he in Blade?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  20. Lost_N_Austin

Here is a garage sale find I've been using for several years. "The tall vessel on the right."
    Pepsi (2).JPG

It cost me $1.00 and it sorts your pocket change into cylinders for pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters. It is battery operated.

Now this last weekend I acquired another Coin managing device. This one cost me $45.00 but I thought i was cool.
    IMG_8022.JPG IMG_8020.JPG IMG_8021.JPG

Once used in Banks and retail outlets to manage change for tellers and cashiers.

They have enjoyed a resurgence because of concerns on handling cash in today's retail environment.

I have pretty much quit trying to use my pocket change at a check-out counter to help expedite the process as "math" seems to confuse "some" of the employees.

Anybody here have any realtime work experience with one of the Coin Holders?

Lost_N_Austin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.