Garage heater suggestions?

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
I’m currently using a Mr Heat dual burner on propane. The garage is insulated and the door is insulated as well I crack the side door and garage doors about an inch. I can get it to about 65-70’F. I’m mostly doing engine work or milling and turning metals. Befor doing engine assembly work in my environment I need to do a floor scrub and walls vacuumed to keep the Craptonite out of a new engine. The heater makes it nice so the tools don’t stick to your fingers.

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
I’m currently using a Mr Heat dual burner on propane. The garage is insulated and the door is insulated as well I crack the side door and garage doors about an inch. I can get it to about 65-70’F. I’m mostly doing engine work or milling and turning metals. Befor doing engine assembly work in my environment I need to do a floor scrub and walls vacuumed to keep the Craptonite out of a new engine. The heater makes it nice so the tools don’t stick to your fingers.

lariat 99

Tele-Holic
So how much electricity do these mini splits consume. I was thinking of putting one in the garage for the same reasons.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
So much electricity do these mini splits consume. I was thinking of putting one in the garage for the same reasons.
Minisplits are super efficient. The one in the shop at my old property that I installed in 2018 barely blipped the power bill and it was running either on AC or heat for most of the year. With the previous resistance heating I was using and a window AC unit, power consumption was eye-opening...

wingcommander

Tele-Meister
I'm having the reverse problem.
We've just had 5 consecutive days with maximums > 40 degC (that's > 104 degF).
It's Bikram woodwork in my shed at the moment. ;)

Wooly Mammoth

TDPRI Member
Thanks @Freeman Keller I am in a similar situation where I have a little buddy / Mr heater that I can run off the small green cans or a larger bbq tank.

Having just spent a few hours out there this am - I got the garage from 35f up to about 45f.

Each winter I think more often about upgrading.
Even the big buddy won't heat up a garage and if its insulated its not very safe.

Go electric if your panel has the power or LNG, whichever is easier to plumb/wire.

My brother has an electric in his insulated 4 car garage and it works well.