Garage heater suggestions?

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Looking at a variety of natural gas heaters for my garage - curious if any of you have one you'd recommend?

Thx in advance.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Looking at a variety of natural gas heaters for my garage - curious if any of you have one you'd recommend?

Thx in advance.

I don't know the brand (I can go look in a bit) but I have one propane heater that I keep in my shop and a 1600 watt electric radiant heater. The propane unit will take either the small Coleman style bottles (which don't last very long) or I can connect it to a barbeque tank (which does). I think there is enough air exchange in my three car garage/shop that I don't worry too much about carbon monoxide but I don't run it for long periods of time.

It was fairly inexpensive, I had the barbie tanks anyway and it seems to keep my backside warm while I'm standing at the bench. If I was starting over I would build a real shop with real heat and real insulation....

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Thanks @Freeman Keller I am in a similar situation where I have a little buddy / Mr heater that I can run off the small green cans or a larger bbq tank.

Having just spent a few hours out there this am - I got the garage from 35f up to about 45f.

Each winter I think more often about upgrading.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I am much much more concerned by humidity control in my shop (I have none). I store my wood in my basement wine cellar which stays pretty close to 40-45 percent RH, but the shop is all over the place. I will frequently take a project into the house and put it in the cellar when the humidity is going crazy. If I ever build a real shop it will have heat with humidity control.

Eastern washington is in the single digits at night right now, gets into the teens during the day. My shop is slightly warmer. Daughter is coming up from PDX to do a little XC skiing. Guitar work is on hold.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I'm considering buying a diesel heater for my workshop/garage. Doesn't exhaust into the space so it doesn't create RH issues that come from unvented NG burning.

Just what I'm thinking about, ymmv, of course.

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Good point(s) if I go with Natural gas I will want to account for any humidity increase. I'm assuming I would need to purchase a unit with an effective venting mechanism.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I am much much more concerned by humidity control in my shop (I have none). I store my wood in my basement wine cellar which stays pretty close to 40-45 percent RH, but the shop is all over the place. I will frequently take a project into the house and put it in the cellar when the humidity is going crazy. If I ever build a real shop it will have heat with humidity control.

Eastern washington is in the single digits at night right now, gets into the teens during the day. My shop is slightly warmer. Daughter is coming up from PDX to do a little XC skiing. Guitar work is on hold.

I put a dehumidifier in my detached garage, at least temporarily until I get the electrical and mini split done. It's kept it consistently below 50%.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I put a dehumidifier in my detached garage, at least temporarily until I get the electrical and mini split done. It's kept it consistently below 50%.

May I ask what brand, size, etc it is. And how much power it requires. And apologies to Natec for the thread drift.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
People like the Monitor heaters. I just checked around, it looks like Hitachi stopped making them, I have no idea why. Empire makes some similar heaters. You can usually find used Monitors on CL, but spare parts may become an issue. Also, my electrician recommends Envi electric heaters, they only use 300 Watts. Stay warm!

Andy B

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have a propane tank heater in my garage. Never cared for it. That open flame always freaked me out. I just do not think it is safe.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
May I ask what brand, size, etc it is. And how much power it requires. And apologies to Natec for the thread drift.

It's a GE that I picked up from Walmart a couple of years ago. The garage is about 720 sq ft., and currently a complete mess from the move.

PXL_20220102_001706452.jpg

PXL_20220102_001936676.NIGHT.jpg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
It really depends on if you are just going to heat as-needed or for long periods of time. A very useful heater to warm up a space fast is a "salamander" heater. They can only be used in a garage because it is like a jet engine. It blows allotta hot air immediately wherever it is pointed. They can be a little loud, but they heat up the space quickly.

They are basically a tube that sits on the floor and blasts warm air. Can use propane, oil, kerosene, etc. depending on the style. Propane likely will smell the least.

RedHills

Tele-Meister
It's a GE that I picked up from Walmart a couple of years ago. The garage is about 720 sq ft., and currently a complete mess from the move.

View attachment 935687

View attachment 935689

Got a very similar one in my metal bldng shop. Drains outside and basically runs 24x7. (N FL) Floor is acid stained and epoxy seal coated, done a lot of foam spray...it will keep it 55-65 RH.

Oh...electric only heat in the event I need it...which ain't often ;)

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have used all sorts of methods to heat a dettached garage over the years...tried them all.

The best combination is having a heated floor with IR radiant heaters on the ceilling. It makes for a natural heat, no increase in humidity, odor, nor blowing crap around like a forced air system.

On a budget, a forced kerosene jobsite heater to rapidly raise the temperature and then a dyna-glow wick kero heater to maintain or at least slow the heat loss while working also works okay. My little 40k forced jobsite heater raises my 2 car with full loft (only the walls are insulated) up to 75 degrees in the dead of winter after about 20 minutes. A wick kero heater holds it up there for another 4 hours before it drops down to upper 50's. I have also placed a marvin brand IR radiant heater above my work bench to keep me and the workspace toasty warm on the coldest of nights.

Area51

Tele-Holic
I put an infrared heater in my garage and couldn't be happier. In fact, I was quite surprised how well it did. For the same power it, it was night and day over the coil style it replaced. They make some pretty cool wall/ceiling mounted versions that are very inexpensive. If your garage is insulated, I'm sure a couple of these would do great in a cold climate. I only needed one.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have used a vent free natural gas heater for the past decade. All brands are pretty same. They come in blue flame or infrared. The infrared have a level control but not thermostat controlled. An insulated 400 sq' garage is heated pretty easy with 20,000 btu in midwest winters.

I recommend putting them the opposite end of dust creation or finishing. I have never had an issue but have good ventilation. Dust build up on the burner can leave an odor unless wiped off when noticed.

Eric

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
I have an electric radiator style heater I will run when temps are just a touch chilly, and a big propane heater that I use when it actually gets close to cold (I do live in SoCal). I tend to run the propane heater to take the edge off, then once I'm working I turn. it off. Because, by then, I'm sweating like a whore in church.

But, as mentioned above, I am not excited about running it for long... Carbon monoxide, combustion gases... Just not good for me and I know it.

I have been getting ready to purchase a couple of the ceramic wall mounted heaters. I've installed them a few times (back in Virginia) and I really like the gentle heat they give off.... However, if you live in a truly cold environment, they may not be able to keep up.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Those units that hang from the ceiling are great for workshop spaces. Not sure how big yours is, but there are some small ones. They can often be found surplus.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577749_200577749?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters & Stoves + Fireplaces > Natural Gas Heaters > Overhead Natural Gas Garage Heaters&utm_campaign=Mr. Heater&utm_content=27457&gclid=Cj0KCQiAt8WOBhDbARIsANQLp96xYQPyDzdOC8scEKkG2CjHI59hSeH-nxnt_ti17F-n7RbxKpVWdGQaAsl0EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The nice thing about these type is they heat up the space fast. So you dont have to heat your space continuously.

Last edited: