Garage Find

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I recently unearthed a box of guitar parts I had stored in the rafters of my garage a bunch of years ago. Most of it was junk but there were a couple of exceptions...(maybe)

These were labeled "72 SET". I honestly can't remember exactly where I got them, but are they what they appear to be? A Tele set from 1972? BTW DC resistance Neck = 6.98 K-ohms and Bridge = 6.60 K-ohms.

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I recently unearthed a box of guitar parts I had stored in the rafters of my garage a bunch of years ago. Most of it was junk but there were a couple of exceptions...(maybe)

These were labeled "72 SET". I honestly can't remember exactly where I got them, but are they what they appear to be? A Tele set from 1972? BTW DC resistance Neck = 6.98 K-ohms and Bridge = 6.60 K-ohms.

View attachment 945514

View attachment 945515
excellant re discovery ,
I still have a pair of 65' mustang pickups in my collection of parts

skunqesh

Tele-Holic
I'm not the expert to tell you for certain that those are oem,
but I see nothing that says they ain't. :)

fwiw, they do indeed look/spec like Fender pups from the early to mid 70s.
the wiring + black thread wrapping is spot on.
staggered poles
marker on the copper base plate is pretty typical
if you can gently pry the copper base plate (bridge pup) from the fiber board bobbin and get a look under there, there should be ink stamped numbers on the bobbin side.
If you do - Be careful as the plate is grounded to the wiring and moving it can stress the solder connections.

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I'm not the expert to tell you for certain that those are oem,
but I see nothing that says they ain't. :)

fwiw, they do indeed look/spec like Fender pups from the early to mid 70s.
the wiring + black thread wrapping is spot on.
staggered poles
marker on the copper base plate is pretty typical
if you can gently pry the copper base plate (bridge pup) from the fiber board bobbin and get a look under there, there should be ink stamped numbers on the bobbin side.
If you do - Be careful as the plate is grounded to the wiring and moving it can stress the solder connections.
Thanks skunqesh. That was indeed my question. I think they're real by I'm honestly not sure. I'm also not crazy about opening up the ground plate especially if it's been potted. There is certainly an adequate amount of dust on them!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Great find man! I know what this is like. I recently uncovered a bunch of stuff that wasn't worth 30 years ago what it's worth today! Not guitar related but still... ;) I would definitely be mounting those babies in a Tele! I'd probably even wait for some hacked up, over routed 72 to come on the market and restore it using these pickups as the motivator to do so :cool: