Garage door question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jul 7, 2020.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

There's an automatic door opener/closer installed on my garage door. There's a remote that was supposed to open and close it but it has never done anything when you press the button. A little light goes on in the remote though. The thing on the garage ceiling looks like it's supposed to work and there's power to it.

What is the problem with it? If I get a new remote will it work with the garage opener?

bcorig and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’d look up the specific model

Sometimes you have to program the remote to the ceiling/wall unit

I guess it’s radio frequencies or something

My guess is if you get a new remote it will still need programmed so might as well look into the one you have, especially if you see a light on it and it’s not broken

3. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

It's pretty gnarly and old so I don't think it works. It just has a button and no way to program it.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Mine is about 20 years old. I have to press a button next to the motor then hold down a button on the remote to program it, something like that anyway. I can also either set the button to work the door or the light.

Sometimes it takes a few goes for it to work and it seems to reset every time the power goes out. Its a pain.

I'd recommend having a look at the system installed in your garage and work out what make/model it is, then find the manual or programming instructions online.

Lost_N_Austin and KevinB like this.
  5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Old might be better than new, they build um pretty cheap these days. Then again they've been building home garage door openers pretty cheap since they went to solid state remote controls.
    An the other hand the old ones don't have anything for safety features and will crush anything that gets in their way.
    You can get a new one for like 500 bucks or less. But this is the one thing that I like to hire a pro for. The only other thing I hire a pro for is bat removal! Garage doors can hurt you real bad, or someone else later on if not done right.

6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Could be the remote, could be the receiver, could be the interface between the receiver and motor, could be the motor. Trouble shooting can be fun or a PITA. Garage door openers can be very tricky and finicky

Not knowing all the particulars, I’d be inclined to buy a new one and have it professionally installed

7. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Meister

The monster from the basement disabled it so it can easily trap you.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Might depend on how old the garage door / remote is. Mine stopped working and I could not find anything new that would sync with it. Ours was original to our house (late 60s). Needed a new door anyway, so we just did a new install. Good luck!

9. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Do you know the make and model?

How old is it?

You say it has never worked. I presume that is under your ownership. Has it ever worked?

If so, under what conditions did it stop working?

On some older remotes, there are DIP switches that must be set to match the DIP switches in the motor unit. Have you looked at those?

Fretting out likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Put a new battery in the remote. The LED will still light up with a low battery.

Use a fresh pencil eraser to scrub the battery terminals in the remote to polish them up.

tery and Torren61 like this.
  11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Some remotes must be "paired" with the unit.. google the model, the instructions will tell ya how to do it.

r

12. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

He's locked out...again.

drf64 and tap4154 like this.
  13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The older ones have little binary on/off switches so you can scramble the code that is sent. From the factory both are set to all off. Make sure they are the same. Lots of replacements available on flea-bay.

koolaide and Torren61 like this.
  14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

On mine there is a single button on top that you can press to fine tune the closed and open stopping points. If you hold that button down it goes into pairing mode, then you hit the remote button and hold it down and the button on my unit will start flashing and then it will go out. Pairing done.
    I had to search the internet for the procedure as my unit is almost 30 years old as well.

15. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you end up getting a new opener look at the liftmasters that are wifi-enabled. I can open and close it from my smartphone from anywhere in the world. It's cool because sometimes if I leave and am not sure if I closed the garage door, I just look on the app and it will say if it's open or closed, and if it's open I can close it.

Screenshot_20200707-094917_myQ.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have had to deal with garage door problems over the years, and I can tell you, I've learned just to call King Door a local place, have them fix it, and pay the bill. If you choose to work on it yourself, research it, then research it again. You can probably find your garage door programming instructions on the net, I was always able to. Some garage doors openers only did one thing, open and close the door, and only had one button on them, but they are from way back, I mean long, and long ago. The problem with the old garage doors is guys who know how, can drive up and down the block with various control units, and find out whose door they can open, and come back later and get whatever you have in the garage. Sometimes they open the door, go inside, close the door, break into your house and steal EVERYTHING. The garage door opener that I have now, has a disable function, that I set every night before going to bed that keeps me or anyone else from opening it with a clicker. You can also stick a piece of wire through the top of the door, and grab hold of the rope and disconnect the lock, and just roll the door up. Whatever you do, if you decide to adjust the springs on the door, use the right tool, and research how to do it, research it again, because those springs can KILL you.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Toto's Dad didn't say the important part loud enough.......DO NOT MESS WITH THE SPRINGS!!!!!!!!!!
    When you say the power unit (on the ceiling) looks like it's supposed to work, what does that mean? Does it hum and act like it's trying to lift door? If so, that could mean you have a broken spring. Those doors are unbelievably heavy without the assistance of the springs. Since you aren't experienced with garage doors, I urge you (strongly) to call a garage door service. They MAY recommend a new opener, so be prepared to get a second and maybe third opinion.
    Or.....you could just build a carport outside and convert your garage into a studio......;)

Toto'sDad and ArcticWhite like this.
  18. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

It's been a while but I was able to get a wired switch that came with a remote, the switch replaced the original switch, wired to the two terminals where the usual doorbell type switch goes and if I remember correctly the remote activated that switch, worked well, I think it was from Chamberlin.

nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  19. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I had my malfunctioning door adjusted by a pro a few years ago.
    Cost about 100 bucks, and I didn't have to risk my life messing with the springs.
    After watching him work, I realized that I didn't ever want to mess with one of these myself. And I'm the kind of guy who can rebuild car engines, build amplifiers, and reset acoustic guitar necks.
    There are things best left to professionals.

Colo Springs E and nojazzhere like this.
  20. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

First things first. Do you have a wall button that opens the door?

nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.