Gain, Gain, Gain...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fozhebert, Dec 11, 2018.

1. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

Some good advice here.

How to be heard.

roknfnrol and JustABluesGuy like this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

the older i get the more my gain comes down, lately been finding edge of break up and having my guitar vol on about 7,,,then just dime it and then back..also 4-5 for fat rhythm. The amp is critical..then for specifs--clean boost..then green box mid boost and then sd1 rad setting...that for plexi..and dsl has 4 stages of progressive gain set up on its 2 channels..been so simple lately but so easy..in a band setting give me about 4 settings and i am good to go...

roknfnrol, schmee and Lawdawg like this.
  3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Haven't had time to watch the full video but so far lots of good advice. The big revelation for me (because I am a slow learner) was achieving gain through stacking multiple low/mid gain OD/boost pedals. Doing it this way seems to yield more crunch and sustain without sacrificing clarity or getting that fizzy/buzzy tone.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

It also yields more pedal sales, which is the ultimate goal of videos like this.

Teleguy61, Iago, bluesky1963 and 2 others like this.
  5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup good video. Not a new concept but one that often gets ignored.

The whole buzzsaw lost in the mix thing was very early on and it only takes a cymbal thrashing drummer to sort you out...
    The OD “sweet spot” for me has more to do with harmonic complexity and overtones than gain. Those get lost long before the dynamics do. FAR less gain in my daughtering elderage... with that said, its my clean sound thats got dirtier...

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah...I'm pretty sure I need a Cali 76 now. Merry Christmas!

King Creole and 4pickupguy like this.
  7. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

Love that episode. I definitely like a good helping of gain, especially for solos but I also like a heavy crunch on rhythm but I'm more of a classic rock/hard rock guy. I like Marshall in a box pedals. The Friedman BE-OD is legit. For slightly less gain the Friedman Dirty Shirley OD is cool too. I like the BE-OD more though.

8. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I just got one and it is as good as it gets.

FenderLover likes this.
  9. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Damn fine work here.

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

What is sometimes unrealized is that more distorted doesn't always equate to a bigger sound. I realize that probably a lot of guitarists would be bored looking at signal waveforms, but you can sometimes see how things can become kind of puny, and how you can even end up making the decay more abrupt.

Unless you're using a non-guitar type of preamp straight into a PA, IMO the whole notion of a clean tone vs. a clipped one is typically irrelevant. It's just not how we actually use our particular gear, so very little of it is designed that way. IOW, even though we don't hear the distortion for our "clean settings" doesn't mean it isn't there.

For any given "clipping device," I typically find that the best overall mix seldom happens at max. And with a lot of pedals, there's typically a bit of useless sweep at the end of the knob's rotation that doesn't really add anything more.

I say "clipping device" because I was playing through my old Marshall last night, that's loosely based on a 2204. There's a somewhat narrow range where the master volume is most useful IMO, especially if increasing the pre volume (gain) to anything much higher than 2:00 or so. The punch and tightness start to go away, and the harmonic structure turns into a mess. The amp has a high cut control to try and counteract those characteristics a bit (e.g. to be able to use the amp at lower volumes), but you can still hear the buzzy/fizzy mess beneath it all.

There is simply so much gear now offered that this really comes down to being an individual exploration and discovery. I love that we have all of these videos and discussions on the subject, but every player has to decide whether or not they want to figure this out on their own. We're all looking for different results, too. Sometimes, that buzzy/puny sound seems to be what some players want to hear...until they end up preferring something else later on.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    4pickupguy and JustABluesGuy like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The older I get, the less rhythm gain I use; but I've always loved a lot of lead gain and still do.

I've learned that even while playing metal, less gain on the rhythm channel sounds tighter and heavier.

JustABluesGuy and 4pickupguy like this.
  12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Cascading gain stages, no one stage pushed to hard into excess compression is the secret to tight articulate gain. Once you figure your amps preamp gain stage in there it only takes 2 pedals to achieve 4 levels of gain at your feet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.