GAHHH!!!! Still having issues with fretboard

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Sep 22, 2011.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for that info on the saw, Picton. Is this the saw you're talking about? I noticed that it had a blade width, but no kerf listed. That's one of the saws I was looking at from Woodcraft. Someone else mentioned that Xacto sells different saws to fit their handles, and he thought they had a .022 or .024 saw. I may look for one of those locally as well.

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

This is the saw from Harbor Freight, kerf .023 LINK. This one is from Home Depot, kerf also .023 LINK. Less than 25$ for both, and available locally as well ;)

3. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

I think I bought the next size up, but otherwise that's the same saw (the "Z Saw"). With blades this thin, I find I really need that bolster to run out further from the handle than the one on your link; the blades kink easily(especially in a homemade miter box), though YMMV and you could certainly use them more gently than I do. The reason they don't list the kerf is that Japanese saws have almost no set to them at all; the blade thickness is just about the same as the kerf width.

The Harbor Freight one is fine, but it's too short to be very useful to me. Again, YMMV; it's a nice, cheap entry into pullsaws, if you want to pick one up first to see if it works for you.

EDIT: I just took a fuller look at your link, and I'll clarify; my Z Saw is the one at the top of the "related items" section at the lower right, the $55 one. Prices seem to have risen since I bought mine... Excellent saw, though.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another issue I've encountered before when radiusing a fretboard before glueing it to the neck is that the radius reduces internal stress in the wood. And also changes it's moisture gain/loss abilities.

I had a fretboard that I put a 12" radius in. Within a week it had a 24" radius on both sides :eek:.

You can imagine what happens when 5 clamps are used down the board. Wonky as.

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Dave, have you used the Home Depot saw? If so, what were your thoughts?

6. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

+1 on the Harbor Freight saw. I haven't tried the Depot saw, I bought a bunch from HF on sale a while back. It's .023, as mentioned by Crazy Dave, which I beleive is the same as Stew Mac's frets, cuts on the pull stroke for control, & has zero set, which makes cutting fret markers level with the board a breeze. I only use this saw to deepen the frets after radiusing the board. I sprung for the Stew Mac table saw blade & use a mini cross-cut sled, which works like a charm for cutting frets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.