Gabojo Dynasonics (e2000 ?)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by zeedoctour, Aug 24, 2019.

1. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I might have the naming wrong ... most people just refer to them as "Greeks". They are made in Athens, Greece. Natch. LATE EDIT : the model name is mr.2000SB I figured out.

I have this really lovely partscaster that ... being the first I ever made, has great sentimental value in addition to just being a really nice guitar and of course ... unique.

It employs a Kent Armstrong replica Danelectro Lipstick-tube at the neck. Probably 30 years old now. In the middle is my old original 1962 Fender Stratocaster pickup. The bridge pickup I need to replace. While I love the IDEA of it (it's an original mid 1970's Maxon made PAF clone - the Super 70 - EVH had a couple in his Destroyer) and it is a famous pickup in it's own right ... that I found in a closing down tiny music store in the 80's and bought for $12 (!) ... but I just never use that pickup. It doesn't speak to me. I want it to, but it just doesn't.

I love the guitar though. In every other respect it's a wonderful instrument. I have learned a lot abut pickups since I built it. I'm reasonably certain this Greek pickup by Gabojo is what I would really enjoy. I don't like toppy sharp typical strat bridge tone from my bridge pickup. While the Super 70 PAF clone is of course a humbucker, it's still too harsh for my desires. I like articulate, airy single coils even when I want some drive out of them for dirtier stuff.

Anybody with experience of these "Greeks" that can put it into words ? They sound from the makers description like what I would go for. Considering I have a PAF there now, it would be a drop in fit. I like easy, who doesn't ?

Note that this guitar has 7-way switching, and I like to pair the neck and bridge if I can find the right pickups for that combination. My spidey-senses tingle and tell me that this "greek" pickup is the one. I like to trust my gut instinct, it's given me a lot of really enjoyable outcomes over the decades.

So does anyone want to chime in with their impressions of this pickup before I go gut instinct and just buy it ? Would really help me out, and give my first love a new lease of life.

mudguardstrat.gif

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Have you played a Jet with vintage DeArmond 2000s, Seymour Duncan or Gretsch Dynasonics, or a TV Jones T-Armonds?

The Greeks are gonna be like these, though a bit different flavor. Depending on the model, it's gonna fit between the SD and the modern Gretsch Dyna, which is perfect IMHO.

But you're interested in the shortened magnet version, so you're getting into what TV Jones provides in the T-Armond.

Unless you have want for adjustable pole pieces, there are many, many Strat pickups that overlap what these might do for you. TVJ's own Starwood Strat pickups are trying to go there, but I haven't tried those, only the Tele Starwoods. Those, btw, are incredible pickups, but you know making a killer Tele pickup is not difficult.

That said I'm going to try some Greeks, just don't know what to put them in yet :D

3. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

If you look at that guitar I'm going to be dropping something into (at the bridge) you'll see I want a PAF humbucker sized choice. I do NOT want to change the pickguard, as that's part of the sentimental element I want to keep. I do want to try out a Starwood Strat PU at some point, but not in this application. I do appreciate the input though, and thank you for it.

4. BorderRadio

Well I knew it was the Strat in the pic and you wanted a ‘drop in’ pickup, but I assumed you could change the guard.

No worries, all good. With that cleared up, you still could get a T-Armond in a Filtertron format, and mount that in a TVJ adapter ring, that will fit your guitar no mods. I’m willing to bet dollars to donuts the Greeks sound similar to that. You can check out T-Armond demos to see if ya like it.

But you know, even though the GFS Surf 90 isn’t much more than a beefy Strat pickup, it does sound great. The extra screws do nothing, purely for looks. Again, this pickups is recommended if you don’t want adjustable pole pieces. Also note the GFS is gonna be the parking lot to the ballpark of legitimate DeArmond 2000-type pickups. I have a set of Surf 90s in my only Strat.

5348EA32-31C3-44AB-B360-95B6A5335BBC.jpeg

5. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I'm glad you have that approach. I found a fantastic GFS pickup that I would have paid 4 times the price for it's that good. Of course, it's not made by GFS, they just distribute it at retail. I'm super curious what the Surf 90 looks like under the hood. The pickup I fell in love with, once I got the cover off ... oh man suddenly it made sense why it was so great. There are others that look exactly like it (cover and dimensions) but they do not share the construction, and that was the key. If you don't get that one design, you don't get the glory. It was a lucky accident, as I had no idea at the time of purchase, which I treated as a gamble. A good gamble it turned out. I gambled again on another of their pickups, I'm not sure if it paid off or not yet. Until I experiment a little more with it, it's just seeming a little brighter than I would have liked. It is however, another "old weird design from the 50's" in construction so I'm giving it a chance to convince me.

Is the Surf 90 construction akin to a P90 in it's basic elements ? Flat and shallow wide coil on top of two bar magnets ? Or is it taller like most humbucker P90 alternatives ?

I will research the TVJ T-Armonds. I like the ideas that TVJ are pursuing for the most part.

6. BorderRadio

The Greeks are a good deal, IMHO, and I plan on getting one soon. I’d wait to see if anyone else has tried them, I’m curious too. I’m a big Dynasonic/DeArmond 2000 fan, and owned a handful of guitars with almost all the modern variations out there, as well as played some original 50s DeArmonds. They are some of my favorite pickups.

I had a discussion with a guy here about Surf 90s, he’s posted pics of the coils under the cover. Strat like. They are nothing like a P90, why GFS named them that (surf? 90?) is beyond me. Coil is a bit wider IIRC, but still tall, the magnet slugs are larger, but definitely not huge like a real DeArmond.

Very cool guitar by the way, with the lipstick and a possible DeArmond type in there :)

7. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

How about this ?

Neck position : Copy of a Valco-Supro Vistatone/Gretsch Hi-Lo Tron single coil (Gretsch copied the Valco and called it a Hi-Lo Tron using half a Filtertron to lower costs)
    Middle position : Obviously a Lipsticktube (Danelectro design)
    Bridge position : Copy of a Valco-Supro Cooltone (single coil) with no pole-pieces (or blade, or anything in the center of the coil) referred to as a "field coil" design. The nickel cover acts as the pole-pieces, soldered to a heavy steel base-plate that the bottom mounted twin magnets are sitting on. Effectively surrounding the coil on all sides top and bottom. It weighs twice what a twin coil PAF does. It's heavier than any pickup I have ever come across with the exception of an old horseshoe lap steel pickup from the 1930's that was GIGANTIC. :eek:

The volume and tone are masters (the gold ones) and the amber knob controls a no-load blender pot. This allows all possible 7 switching options, as depending where the 5-way is set, it blends in either the neck or middle as you lower it from 10 (no blend at all) to 0 (full 100% blend). So you can get the standard 5-way Fender (blender at 10) or neck and bridge or all 3 (as you turn down the blender control towards 0) depending on where the 5-way positioned.

cancercaster_2.jpg

8. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Hurry up ! (just kidding) <- no he's not ! (no really I am) <- he's a friggin' liar man ! (hey take it easy) <- be honest you want to know NOW !

Actually I am kind of jonesing for what I think these will do to my first love (even though my sentimentality and "old pickup weirdo-ness" is aghast at losing that Super 70 in there) and I kinda know I'm gonna put a DeArmond in there anyway.

My logical half says "not until you hear them or have something more to go on than gut instinct" but my rainbows and unicorns half says "yeah go ahead you know you want it and you're gonna love it" and the clincher is I can get Gabojo to do one in a darker blue color to match the guitar. Damn I am doomed. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.