GA-FC and Blues Cube Artist

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by McGlamRock, Sep 18, 2021.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Blues Cube Artist arriving on Monday, and I also bought a used Boss GA-FC to activate tremolo, change channels, etc..
    Anyway the GA-FC arrived today, but I don't think this is going to work with the new amp. There is a 'delay' button (a feature the new amp does not have)
    Anyway, I was wondering what the odds are that this GA-FC will be compatible with a new Blues Cube Artist and be able to turn the tremolo on/off etc...? IMG_0159.jpeg

2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I own a GA-FC and have used with the my Katana head and Cube 40.
    I had to change the stickers because they didn't align with the amp.
    Did Blues Cube Artist come with the "preset" stickers for the GA-FC?

McGlamRock likes this.
  3. McGlamRock

Well hopefully I just have to change stickers.
    I don’t get the amp until Monday.

hotraman likes this.
  4. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

5. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The BCA will come with a sticker for the footswitch that’s a perfect match. I know because I went thru this last year when I got mine.

McGlamRock likes this.
  6. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

GA-FCs are all the same internally; what the buttons do is determined by the amp.

If you don't get a set of labels with your BCA, this is what's on them:

183446-000.jpg

MatsEriksson and McGlamRock like this.
  7. McGlamRock

Thanks for the input. Hopefully it works out easy on Monday (when the amp arrives)

8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

@McGlamRock , How’s the new BCA? You can’t leave your thread hanging. :)

SonicMustang likes this.
  9. McGlamRock

How weird, I was logging in just now to give my review

The amp just came yesterday and I played with it for a couple hours. It is a nice amp, the response is (like everyone says) very tube like. The coolest feature of the amp is the 'dual tone' that combines the "clean" and "crunch" channels. It achieves a beautiful, bright "sparkly" overdrive- perfect for that 80's & 90's country sound. I love that era of country music; so I really enjoyed that feature. The tremolo (tap activated, very convenient) and the reverb both sounded awesome.

The "crunch" channel on its own, I did not find useful. I could dial in an ok driven sound. It did the 60's/70's rock thing ok. But nothing I couldn't do with a regular old tube screamer. The BCA didn't do the metal sound very well- which is what I associate the adjective, "crunch" with.

The problem (and reason I am going to return it) is that the clean channel will always drive (just a little bit) when my pick attack is a bit too hard. That's cool for some things, but my actual tube amps give me more clean head room (Mesa Boogie F-30 & Bad Cat Trem Cat 30).

Sadly I couldn't test the GA-FC because it turns out I do not own a stereo 1/4" cable- which is what the pedal needs to connect to the amp.

The amp I bought is an open box, which with with the used GA-FC and tax, comes out to about $1000. Way too much IMO.

I am inspired to shop around for a new overdrive pedal that does that 'sparkly driven sound' I mentioned earlier. I'm also considering a new tap activated tremolo pedal and new reverb pedal. I'm sure I can find a new pedal for all three of those effects for much less than $1000.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    MatsEriksson likes this.
  10. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

I have that amp, and footswitch too. The stickers/label where gone and one can't get them, neither from Roland/Boss or anywhere else. I do use it for switching channels, reverb, tremolo, on amp. It's a tad unwieldy to try remember which switch does which... I have the GA-FC too...

11. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

If you buy the tone capsule Sparky Clean and plug it in, it will not break up anywhere in the clean channel. That's my main gripe with the amp too. That the clean channels break up, you can do on the dirt channel as well, with everything turned "low", and low input used. You can't get Fender Twin clean with it ever...;)

McGlamRock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.