1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

GA-30 Gibson amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AndreDanican, Jan 20, 2019.

1. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Anyone have one of these or play through one? There is a dearth of info about these amps on the internet. I’m looking at an early version from 1948-53, just the chassis. The 12” plus 8” speaker configuration is very interesting!

2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Good questions. This should be all the info we need to *want* one:

And if you have a week to watch the video, Doug and Pat eventually discuss the 30 -- like apparently the big speaker is a P12S -- with a voice coil all of ¾".

muscmp, AndreDanican and Crashbelt like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I owned a GA-30 from that early period, Andre. The cab for the amp I had was covered in the all brown linen....with the shiny leather look to it. Interesting amp....and the 12S is all the speaker it needs since there is another speaker there that probably is a 10s. These amps did not make a lot of power...maybe that is a 12 watt amp with 16 watts of speaker??? That’ll work. Fender was using P10R speakers with a 10 watt rating....two of them in a 5F4 Super that made 26 watts.
    Anyway, I like the old Gibson amps from the late ‘40’s through 1961.

AndreDanican likes this.
  4. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

I've not used a GA30, but I have 1950s GA5 GA8 GA18T and GA77. Great tweed era amps for a fraction of the cost of equivalent Fenders.

There's one book written maybe around 10 years ago which runs through them all. It's a minefield because Gibson amp specs changed all the time and were badly documented.

Gibson Amplifiers 1933-2008 Wallace Marx - maybe out of print now?

AndreDanican and Mike Eskimo like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^^I’ve got that book.

Like you said - sooooo many variations of the same model .

I had a GA-20 Crest from 58-59 and it was like a sub-run of GA-20’s within the larger run of GA-20’s with all the GA-20’s of that era.

AndreDanican and Crashbelt like this.
  6. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

I’ve rebuilt several GA-20s and GA-30s, long ago. The GA-20 is essentially a Fender Deluxe made with cheap parts, and so “servicing” them often meant a wholesale replacement of incredibly low quality caps and resistors. Once restored with good components, it sounded great.

Lots and lots of quality variations, as with all of Gibson’s output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndreDanican and Crashbelt like this.
  7. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Thanks all. I’ll see if I can track down the Wallace Marx book. I’m not sure i’ll pull the trigger on this one. No cabinet, no speakers, no date codes on the pots or chassis provided. The more I consider it, this would be a hobbyists purchase, no more than that. I think i’ll wait for a better one to come along.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Andre, the value of a non-functioning chassis is in the ‘not very much’ category, ime and imho. Such a thing is indeed better left to someone who will either put the work and money into it...or put even more money into it for a pro to do the work.

muscmp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.