G10 Gold, what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by klobasa, Jun 2, 2021.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I've played a few Princetons with retrofitted G10 Golds. They are some of the best amps I've ever heard. I think it really shines when used to tame the high end of naturally bright amps, such as the stock PRRI. If the amp is already too dark or has too much mid, the Gold with make the problem worse.

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is hands down the best analogy I have ever heard regarding mid range in a guitar sound. Ya gotta have some or the flavour gets lost in the mix - but too much and it’s awful.

3. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Just because a speaker is old doesn't necessarily mean it's "broken in" :).

I have a 10" Celestion Gold paired up with a WGS G10C in a 2 X 10" cab and I think it (they) sounds great.

I formerly had a 10" Tone Tubby along with the Gold, but that combo just didn't get it ;).

Sometimes a speaker just doesn't sound right to a particular person.

I'm one of the few who thinks a Celestion Vintage 30 sounds bad, to my ears anyhow ;).

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Holic

The funny thing is that I very much prefer mid heavy tones. My current amp has also EF86 + rotary cap switch -tone stack, so the EQ response is very flat. There is absolutely no mid scoop at all. And my pickups are apparently a bit mid heavy. And still, I am seeking for a speaker without mid scoop.

Most amps I have tried have the mid scoop lower than where the G10 Gold mid hump is. With my Princeton Reverb, it did not neutralize the scoop at all. It kept the mid scoop, but raised the upper mids. So I had an amp with mid scoop and cocked wah sound at the same time. And this same happened with this new amp also, which has a classic Deluxe Reverb tone stack. Didn't help the scoop a bit.

But, it seems that the nasal cocked wah sound is a feature, not a fault. I wish I had known about it before. Well, live and learn. Nowadays, I'm always googling if "nasal", "upper mid spike" etc. terms are used when describing speaker that I'm interested in.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The whole discussion and defining of mids in guitar gear is really kind of a mess.
    The mids knob on a classic Marshall or Tweed bassman is up near the treble range.
    But some pedals have a mids knob that adds low mids.
    And I generally hear classic greenback speakers as having mids to low mids hump, or the early G12m20 has even lower mids hump and is far less bright than a Gold while both are referred to as having a mid hump.
    Try a Celestion Blue and it’s a mid hump speaker yet massively bright, so much that you might not notice the mids for all the treble.

WRT your pretzel bridge pickup, I would not call it “a bit” mid heavy.
    That’s a very mid heavy pickup and has what is to me a nasal tone.
    Because my other gear has all the mids I need so I don’t choose mid heavy hot overwound pickups.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I liked the V30 20 years ago when there were fewer speaker options.
    And I guess I was using more grindy buzzy distortion.
    Now I hear it as less good sounding.

old wrench likes this.
  7. 2L man

2L man Tele-Holic

Here 10" Gold/Fender is compared to stock Fender using Cleans.

8. Harpboy

Harpboy TDPRI Member

I really like the twin 10" configuration. Last year I built a 5F4 Super and put two G10 Golds in it. I love that amp. I just finished building a 6G16 Vibroverb and put two Jensen C10Qs in it. It also sounds fabulous; I've thought about swapping one of each speaker into the other just out of curiosity but haven't done so yet, and may not.

All I can say is that the "nasally", "stiff", "cardboard", etc, descriptions sure don't match my experience. I read recently that they are John Mayer's preferred speaker. Don't know if that's true, but I can say that I've never heard his sound described as nasally. Just throwing my experience out there...

Axis29 likes this.
  9. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

I've had a G10 in my Princeton Recording Amp for a few years now. I'm done searching for a new speaker for that amp. It just works.

Axis29 and ronzhd like this.
  10. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

uriah1 likes this.
  11. 2L man

2L man Tele-Holic

Anyone who is looking very good and powerful 10" alnico pair there is a campain where you get two Jensen speakers for a price of one and last time I visited that shop pages there were 10" Blackbird 100 available. I don't have 10" BB100 yet but I have 12" BB100 and 12" BB40 and for comparison also 12" and 10" Gold and like Blackbirds more than Golds.

Blackbirds are easy to make sound good and they never sound bad. Golds have more character so they can be made sound very good but they can produce shrilling sounds too.

For a guitarist who plays many genres I think 12" BB100 and BB40 are great and based to it I believe 10" BB100 is great as well when powerful 10" is needed.

12. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Holic

I guess I have grown a bit as a human being in the last month or so. My amp has now the very flat EQ curve, no mid scoop whatsoever. Yesterday, I got the G10 Gold back from my friend and I wanted to try again... And surprisingly, not bad at all!! With this amp (and it's tone stack), the speaker is just fine. Not amazing, but nothing wrong with the sound either. Less nasal than before.

13. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

I have a G10 been thinking about selling. Its okay but prefer ceramic.

14. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Sometimes I wonder if people would still rave about this speaker if it was the "Celestion Yellow"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.