G String Tuning

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JakubJames, Dec 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JakubJames

JakubJames TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I bought a new telecaster a few weeks back and restrung it not long after. Since then the G string constantly goes out of tune. It even goes sharp sometimes?

I’m not the best at restringing and I wonder if the issue could be because the G string is the only string that isn’t wrapped around the tuning post as many times as the other strings. It’s wrapped once whereas all the others are twice.

Thoughts?

2. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

The G string can be a bugger. What kind of bridge do you have? I'm using a three barrel, and found a wound G improved intonation greatly.

howardlo likes this.
  3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Clip the string(s) about 1-2" past the post before wrapping.

You can also google how to lock it in.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Did you go up one gauge?
    When strings go sharp while playing it’s almost always the nut the culprit: too narrow a slot and the string get stuck.
    Sometimes it can be the string tree, but you are not likely to have one on the G string.
    On a telecaster, I do not see the bridge likely to pinch the string anywhere.

MrGibbly and Mosstone like this.
  5. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

^This. In my experience, most tuning issues are due to strings binding in the nut.

6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I concur with the nut being the problem.

But could one sorta-culprit be that, when you press the G string down in the first few frets, you're pressing too hard? I do this still, since I learned on big-necked, thick-stringed acoustics almost exclusively for the first 20+ years I played. I really grasp notes and chords near the nut, but am gradually teaching myself to go easier, which actually makes changing notes/chords smoother, anyway.

Granted, your G string shouldn't go sharp, or least not much. But try developing a lighter touch on notes and chords near the nut until you get your nut fixed.

JL_LI likes this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Temperature and humidity can be a factor too.

8. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Here is maybe the simplest possible solution: rub some pencil lead in the G nut slot. Tune up. Still a problem?

9. JakubJames

JakubJames TDPRI Member

Wow, thanks for all of the response guys! Good to know there’s a strong community here. Yeah I think it came with 9s but the guy in my store said 10s were a better option. No issue with the other strings, just the G. It is strung poorly, could this be the issue vs the nut/bridge as they both look good to me

Attached Files:

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Are the nut slots deep enough? If the nut slot for the G string isn't deep enough normal fretting pressure will be enough to make fretted notes, especially those on the first few frets, go sharp. The additional tension created by pressing the string to the neck causes this. Check the nut slots for all of the strings. A poorly cut nut isn't often an issue for only one string, even when one string has the most obvious tuning issue. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself or if you don't have the tools, a professional setup by a qualified tech will be money well spent.

Stringsofdoom likes this.
  11. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Deal with one factor at a time. Buy another single G string (.017 is typical for a "10" set) and re-string it on your guitar, getting at least 3-4 wraps around the post.

Is your "new" guitar brand NEW, or just new for you. What model Telecaster ?

Can you post a pic of your tuners posts with the strings you now have wound on them ?

As has been suggested, high action and finger pressure when fretting can make a fretted note go sharp, particularly with taller frets.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    stevemc likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Just my opinion, but I don't think you have enough string wrapped around that post. Someone said go 1-2" past post before cutting....I go two POSTS past the one I'm stringing before cutting. Make sure the wraps are even and smooth as you wind them. I believe the string is simply "slipping"......

stevemc likes this.
  13. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

In general:

E-A-D-B-E =

[​IMG]

G = [​IMG]

14. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

If you're not terribly experienced with guitars, may I suggest you pay somebody to set up a new guitar properly, with the string gauge you want to use. The cost may seem high compared to the cost of a guitar, but playability and tuning stability are very important.

After that first setup, you'll be fine restringing and taking care of your guitar yourself. Oh, and you need 2-3 wraps on the tuner. I like more on the G string to get a steeper break angle.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's likely the nut. The nut should only contact the string for a short length right at fretboard side in a perfect world.. But doesn't have to be that way as long as it doesn't grip the string.
    Your strings are not wrapped around enough times though.
    E and A string: 2-3 full wraps.
    D string: 3-4 wraps.
    G string: 4-5 wraps
    B and high E: 5+ wraps.

16. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I always put more wraps on the g string, no matter what the guitar, seems to help keep the string lower in the nut since it gives a steeper break angle. bsman said it best....^^

RoarDog likes this.
  17. JakubJames

JakubJames TDPRI Member

Yeah ok, maybe I’ll get a setup tomorrow to see if it’s user error when restringing myself. Never been a strong point of mine

What’s everybody thoughts on the best string gauge for a Tele? I’ve always played 11s in the past but have recently been enjoying 9s until this guy told me 10s were the best for teles. Surely it’s down to preference?

18. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Even with perfect intonation all eventually have to come to terms with the drawbacks of tempered tuning. On the plus side you might have really good ears!

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

It IS down to personal preference......but I THINK more people like .010-.046 sets than any other. Just be careful walking into a crowded bar and proclaiming that!

20. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Better than walking into a bar and proclaiming how you’re having trouble with your G-string....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.