1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G-String Dull

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Laren, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

Just in case it's of any interest, after my build I found my G-string was very 'dull', in fact the B and E weren't much better. Looking through the threads on here and elsewhere 'it's the nut, it's the nut'.

Could well have been as it's the first I've cut myself but throwing a capo on didn't improve things.

The bridge is a new Wilkinson wraparound and shouldn't be a problem.

Ah, surface mounted P90 'it'll be too close to the strings'. No that wasn't it.

Turns out that as I mounted the bridge at a slight angle the strings (being a wraparound) don't run straight through the saddle groves. Lifting them out onto the 'knife edge' and bingo, sounds great.

As the saddle grooves are too close to where the stings are they keep popping back in so I've ordered one of these now (below) which I hope will be the answer.

So there you go, dull sounding string, check the bridge saddles as well.

[​IMG]

Going in here,

IMG_20201008_094836.jpg

2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

If your bridge does have grooves, they should be barely deep enough to keep your strings from wandering.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

You build that? Looks nice.

crazydave911 and drf64 like this.
  4. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Cheers. It was a building experience, first set neck job and also found I knew f all about vintage vs modern Gibson type bridges. Live and learn.

Yes slight groves and there within lies the problem, the strings keep 'falling' back into them and then sounding 'dull' as they are not 'square'.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I was JUST reading about the same problem on the Gretsch forum, dealing with the 60's bar bridges. If you set the floating bridge at too much of an angle for intonation then the string can get choked out, basically zig-zagging through the groove.

Only now does it seem obvious to me that the groves should not have been cut perpendicular to the saddle.

So I've determined that my '67 Gretsch must be junk - if anyone wants it cheap. LOL

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.