G string blues.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by clayton58, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

And....the old fiber bobbins can be adjusted as well. That GP article from way back warned of ruining a pickup, but then they suggested taking a screwdriver and pushing the pole down. That could bend the bobbin and break a winding. I don’t do things that way and have never lost a patient.

2. Wally

Unless there is a wound G there, to my eye it just looks incorrect...nothing cool about it. Bot then, for me it is all about function not form. (;^)

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm comfortable doing that on plastic bobbins but am wary of moving the magnets around on vintage type fiber bobbins where the magnet is pretty much touching the hair thin windings.
    Might get away with it but it's a risk, and on a Tele bridge pickup you'd need to first drill the base plate under the G pole to lower it below the plate.
    For the whole set of changes I want I would need to raise the B pole, and that would push it up out of the hole in the bottom fiber flatwork. Could raise it maybe 1/16" before pushing it through, but that would be so little gained.
    I have lots of vintage and aftermarket pickups in need of rewind so I could simply swap the B and E or the B and G poles before the rewind.

That's basically what I bought a plastic Tex Mex Strat pickup for, and fortunate for me the seller shipped another pickup to the wrong address and then sent me three NOS Tex Mex bridge pickups with the request for me to send the wrong shipment to Louisiana!

Still need to take that Strat apart yet again and try a Tex Mex with modded stagger...
    But I have an unfinished Thinline Tele body waiting for routing finishing and assembly.
    So much to do so little time!

schmee likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So you regularly push the G pole down in fiber bobbins with no damage to the coil?
    I did that years ago and I forget the results.
    I think I gave up on Strats around that time and stuck to Esquires.
    I put it over a block of wood with a hole for the pole to drop into but support around the hole so the flatwork would not distort.
    As much a problem as the too tall G is the too short B, so the returns are just not enough in my thinking, and I do like the stagger effect on string balance.

A key here is how we think as much as the gear not working for us.
    Players get fine results with stock parts, but then we start thinking about it and get caught up in the idea that it isn't perfect, or that if only the gear WAS perfect we would sound perfect.

Wally likes this.
  5. Wally

It can be exhibited how incorrect that vintage stagger is and how it affects what comes out of the amp...and how relaxed a player can be with a well-set up guitar....totally set up. That hot G ruins a distortion situation....it wrecks the preamp while all of the other strings are overdriving properly. Some people miss what goes on in the clean....I don’t. Others don’t either, hence the term for .strat players...”that damned G string!!!”....some teles, too. A flush pole pickup or an adjustable one that has not been set for string and radius variables is not usable for my purposes, either. All of the shortcomings of pickups that do not relate to strings and radii can be observed.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Take a look at this site. I just ordered a couple of sets Friday.
    https://www.stringjoy.com/

There is some interesting info on their site . I ordered A set of 10's with a wound 3rd and a set of 11's with w/wound 3rd for my jag to try them out.

You can customize any set to your liking, it's very easy to navigate.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I don't think I've ever seen a wound G on a strat to tell you the truth. I have on a tele a very very few times...

8. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

9. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Probably because you haven't seen my three (or my Teles). :)

Wally likes this.
  10. Wally

Modman68 likes this.
  11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

The Fender strings are actually made at the D'Addario factory, they might be a different spec from the standard D'Addario strings.

clayton58 and howardlo like this.
  12. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Which is probably why he said it like this..

"This is a rough idea of the heights I generally set on adjustable pole pieces."

Like so many things in this business it is subject to operator preferences..

13. Wally

And I was pointing out what radius that setting would work with. String output balance would be just that...balanced output. That is the result of the magnetic properties at work and has nothing to do with operator preference. IF someone preferred an imbalance, that would be a preference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.