G&L's Placentia, the worst name for a product line ever?

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It's not the name of a car, it's the name of the South Korean company that makes the cars. They probably aren't too fashed about Western TLAs.
It is pasted all over the outsides of the cars and so I ask:

What's the distinction you're trying to make?

Nissan knew when to retire the Datsun name in this market", and so why don't the suits at the combine that controls both Hyundai and KIA take this opportunity to stop making this "mistake"? I think everyone here knows "KIA" as a company went insolvent and the Korean Gov't asked Hyundai to come in and pick up the pieces and get the company back in operation. They've got "Genesis" and other brand names, H + K do. This is a simple case of businessmen having no respect for veterans and their families. No question in my mind.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
I took my first wife (and some good friends) for a day trip one time to the site of several famous battles near the French German border.
:)

***** camp.jpg

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
I took my first wife (and some good friends) for a day trip one time to the site of several famous battles near the French German border.
:)

View attachment 984093

I love Germany and driving the Autobahn! My first time there I was mildly amused by the name they gave exits "Ausfart"... My inner Beavis and Butthead kicked in.. "He said Assfart.. ha ha he he"..

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
I love Germany and driving the Autobahn! My first time there I was mildly amused by the name they gave exits "Ausfart"... My inner Beavis and Butthead kicked in.. "He said Assfart.. ha ha he he"..
Since I already posted a Top Gear clip earlier in this thread, this moment from The Grand Tour seems appropriate:

srvy

Tele-Meister
Looking for a worse name that's actually been given to a line of products. I'm drawing a blank, but I'm sure they're out there. Anyone?

I do get that it's the name of a city, but c'mon. If you were building your guitars in Mudd Butt, South Dakota you don't need to name them Mudd Butt Guitars.

Another challenge -- set the scene for the marketing discussion where they agreed "Placentia" worked.
I'd buy a Mud Butt guitar!

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Looking for a worse name that's actually been given to a line of products. I'm drawing a blank, but I'm sure they're out there. Anyone?
img_1471-png.326047

The word "Fitta" in Swedish means the first half of the word Pussycat.
When advised of this, Honda hastily rebranded the model as Jazz, but not before the helpful Swedish internet
users had created several hilarious ad-slogans to help Honda market their new model in Sweden.

🤣

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
The lesson from all this? Get a literate native speaker to do your translations -- and double-check them before they go to press.

On a semi-related note...
How in the name of everything, is it possible that in this age of Google and other readily available search engines,
Disney managed(in 2016) to release two(not one... two!) movies(Moana & Zootopia) which bumped with some
European trademarks and had to be rebranded(and re-dubbed (also for the English version)) for wider release
outside of the USA?!