G&L's Placentia, the worst name for a product line ever?

koen

Friend of Leo's
cciou54viaix6k4.jpg

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Looking for a worse name that's actually been given to a line of products. I'm drawing a blank, but I'm sure they're out there. Anyone?

I do get that it's the name of a city, but c'mon. If you were building your guitars in Mudd Butt, South Dakota you don't need to name them Mudd Butt Guitars.

Another challenge -- set the scene for the marketing discussion where they agreed "Placentia" worked.
Placentia is one of those words they should use for a drunk test. If you can say it.... you're free to go. If you're liquored up...there's no way that's coming out right.

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
Regina, Saskatchewan also seems to get a good laugh from people not familiar with the Prairie's. Wouldn't want to name a Flying V after that town!

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Looking for a worse name that's actually been given to a line of products. I'm drawing a blank, but I'm sure they're out there. Anyone?

I do get that it's the name of a city, but c'mon. If you were building your guitars in Mudd Butt, South Dakota you don't need to name them Mudd Butt Guitars.

Another challenge -- set the scene for the marketing discussion where they agreed "Placentia" worked.
poo-pourri

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Citroën automobiles, and their brand name, always cracked me up.

(Citroën means "lemon" in Dutch.)

Funny.

;)
Did your part of the world get the Mitsubishi Starion? Apparently, they wanted a model name along the lines of the Colt they produced. One of the Anglo marketing team members suggested "Stallion", which by the time it had got thru the rest of the team, mainly locals, it was being referred to by their pronunciation.. And no one bothered to check the correct spelling

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Naming your guitar brand after a bad town name? Oh, you could have fun with this concept in Texas!

For a guitar brand, some small Texas town names would actually be cool, like "Cool." Or even "Loco."

And speaking of toponyms derived from languages other than English, there's "Quitaque." Story goes that it was perceived as an expression in some Indian dialect meaning "end of the trail," but the Spanish speaker in me wants to pronounce that like ¡Quita que! ("Remove that!")

Other Texas toponyms might not only be awkward, but downright controversial in certain circles, like "Gun Barrel City."

A definite contender for the worst name for a guitar brand is "Notrees." What guitar builder would want a name that sounds like they used the last tree to make their guitars? (Maybe if they were making carbon fiber guitars, this name might be okay.)

And I guess the winner is...wait for it...

Nameless.

rsclosson

Tele-Afflicted
If I ever get the skills (and the courage) to start building guitars, I will move to Intercourse PA. (Right down the road from Virginville)

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
If I was building guitars in Mudd Butt, South Dakota I would absolutely call them Mudd Butt Guitars... so maybe I'm not the best person to comment on this.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. With a name like Mudd Butt, it would have to be good!
I agree for the most part... But just imagine if it was called "Placenta", that would be another degree of cringe worthiness.. Yikes.

Tomato, tamato, potato, patato, tader, mader...
It’s already dangerously close to that. A buddy of mine from Oregon told me there was a girl in his high school named Virginia. You can imagine what some guys called her and she would always correct them “It’s Virginia.” I dig the name personally and would never try to humiliate someone over their name. But I like Mudd Butt, so what do I know?