G&L

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by MTguitar, Jun 24, 2021.

1. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

Musicians Friend is running some sales and has some G&L tele copies in the sale.

I’ve never played one.

What is the general consensus?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve tried a few, I bonded with none.
    They’re often heavy.
    They ARE good instruments, especially for the price.
    I do prefer the American made ones.
    I do prefer the earlier, 3 bolt neck models.
    I really like the toploader Comanche and Legacy models.
    The US made ones are very well designed and made.

Fiesta Red, Cali Dude and suave eddie like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Everything Leo got right, well the stuff he didn’t get right at Fender he perfected at MM and later at G&L.

Basically all the things you’d modify, better hardware, pickups and construction. Shielded and grounded already.

Great playing and great sounding guitars.

Not a slam on Fender, I love Fenders. But apples to apples they have better components and tighter QC.

Some newer ones actually say “Leo Fender” on the body. I regret selling mine and I am looking for another.

Leo Fender's personal pickup winder is at G&L and used in their custom shop.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

No offense intended, but G&L doesn't make "Tele copies." Most of G&L's guitars, including (I think) all of the T-style models, are Leo Fender's designs. Leo started G&L after he sold Fender. G&Ls include innovations that Leo came up with after he sold Fender - pickups, wiring, hardware, etc. There are a number of unique pickup and switching options on various models, and I personally think that G&L bridges, both tremolo and fixed, are the best in the world.

In my experience, any given G&L is a couple of steps up from the comparably priced Fender/Squier products. G&L's USA guitars are second to none. I have a USA Comanche and a Tribute Fallout. Both are excellent guitars in all respects.

5. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I can't say I've played that many, but they all sound terrific to my ears. Some things I like are the MFD pickups, tremolo design and bridge. The S-500 intrigues me for it's switching options. They definitely make some good guitars and basses.

mad dog likes this.
  6. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

And anything Leo didn't get right, John Suhr fixed!

skunqesh and Killing Floor like this.
  7. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

Thank you for the clarification. No offense taken.

regularslinky and Maguchi like this.
  8. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

If I ever buy another electric guitar, it'll more than likely be a G & L ASAT. With the Magnetic Field Design pickups. I saw/heard one being played last December and thought it was the best electric guitar sound I had ever heard.

I think the correct term is "T-Style."

9. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

Very important to use the correct term in this day and age!

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have two Limited Edition Tributes...an ASAT Classic and a ASAT Classic Bluesboy. Both are well-finished and play/sound great to me. I have had no issues with them other than doing some normal set-up sorts of things. Okay, one issue, the pickguard protective film sticky was a pita to get off;). With straps, the ASAT Classic weighs 7lbs14oz., while the Bluesboy weighs in at 8lbs8oz. I purchased them both on sale...one fm MF, the other GC. Happy hunting!

11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

They are great guitars. I have 2 ASATs (G&L's version of the Tele). One is a 2015 and the other a 2016. They have great pickups, play smooth and fast, top notch tone, quality hardware and wood. The body and neck really resonate when playing. Someone posted that they are heavy. The two USA made ones I have are not heavy at all. The swamp ash one with the HB in the neck is 6.75 lbs. and the alder one with the 3 SC pickups is 7.56 lbs. Both balance perfectly on the strap with no neck dive. As "regularslinky" already posted, this was Leo's company before he passed away. The G stands for George Fullerton and the L for Leo Fender.

G&L-ASAT1.jpg G&L-ASAT2.jpg

P.S. I take a small digital fishing scale in my pocket when I go guitar shopping. The hook is the perfect size for hanging on a tuning peg. 20210624_131447.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Telecastoff1, KATT, Rockinvet and 3 others like this.
  12. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Holy crap, that Nashville type spec, is just screaming at me! Make it stop, please...GAS is a very powerful thing!

https://hpsrvr.k942syner07.com/prod...pUEv19EQwMhcc89IFoJYRhwUuE8szeucaAnWkEALw_wcB

whoanelly15, superjam144 and Maguchi like this.
  13. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I have only played the USA built G&Ls, so I can't speak to the tribute models. However, I have had 3 very nice G&L ASATs. I still have the ASAT Z-3 semihollow. It's a great guitar. I also really liked the ASAT Special. They aren't necessarily better or worse than Fender guitars, just different. They do have excellent design, fit and finish.

Maguchi likes this.
  14. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member

Love mine

Cali Dude and Maguchi like this.
  15. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

I’m currently down to 3 electric guitars only. A Fender partscaster (all Fender parts), a G&L ASAT Classic Custom (with a large MFD in the neck position), and a G&L Doheny. The Tele, with a strat neck pickup, ranges from tele twang to strat cleans. The ASAT has more range from pristine cleans to more drive and can really push an amp. As noted above, it’s a bit heavy (8# 4oz). I bought the Doheny used on a whim and it was a surprise; it can go from Jag to JM with the PTB controls and is a great playing guitar. Impressive fit and finish and I like the vibrato. I sold my strats, LPs, and others. These 3 cover all the bases for me (although I still hope for a killer deal on an ES-175 one day).

I still think there’s a place for a Tele with vintage wound pickups - that is a classic sound that everyone needs in their quiver. Otherwise, the G&L are fine instruments.

Refugee, Cali Dude and Maguchi like this.
  16. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Tele copies he said, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

rickthescot, skunqesh and Refugee like this.
  17. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Wow, Sorry to be ignorant, but until this moment, I had no idea what a, Doheny was. Thanks for hipping me to these. They look like a lot of fun.

Yes, I too GAS over ES-175s. One day...

18. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

I have a bluesboy tribute and a S-500 both made in Indonesia I believe. Both are fantastic!!

Attached Files:

mkdaws32 and Cali Dude like this.
  19. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Tried an American asat 07. Was underwhelmed by the neck, fretboard, and hated the mfd pickups. Did not have a fendery sound to it. The mfds are super loud and powerful.

It was cosmetically a truly beautiful guitar.

Nothing like a tele at all though.

Everyone raves about them though. Each their own.

20. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

I am a huge, Jake Cinningar fan, of Umphrey's McGee. He is like THEE, ASAT guy to me.

AAT65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.