G&L vs Fender.

Cali Dude

Tele-Afflicted
I'm with Chester P Squier and Sasquatchwisperer. A couple years ago I picked up a used closet queen Comanche custom shop for $1400 and it has a lot to love. So much so that I bought it on impulse.

The z coil pickups sound and look really cool. The switching on the pickups is extremely versatile. The honey colored maple cap is very pretty.

It looks like this: (image found on web)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/f2/0e/e3f20e7b5d8db8714a2a4d327732dc0d.jpg
They are beautiful guitars, and the Z coil pickups are fabulous. I love them in my ASAT Z-3 semihollow.
IMG_20210211_133906873.jpg

John O

Tele-Meister
i think folks who try G&L guitars with Leo's MFD pickups either love them or hate them.
I love them. Everything sounds great in my basement. And my (1) Tele's alnico p'ups (a '52 AVRI) are wonderful.
But if I play out with the band, the G&L's just win every time. They are higher outpt, drive the front end of the pre-amp a little harder, "cut through the mix" better, and with proper tone control and amp eq adjustment, they are very toneful. I have G&L's from the '80's, and some from '07-'17. The ones i have kept are with excellent build quality, a variety of unique p'ups, neck profiles and cool features like the PTB tone control system on the s-style gtrs, the DFV vibrato bridge/tail-piece, and the saddle lock bridge on the ASAT specials, all Leo's creations. You can get really nice used USA ones for $700-900 if you watch and wait.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Have the bluesboys always had a seth lover in the neck?

No; at some point they switched to their own in-house wound vintage-style humbucker but you can still get a the Duncan Seth Lover as an option if you go through the "Option Order" tier or go through their Custom Shop. The Fullerton Deluxe only comes with the G&L pickup.

The date of the change is buried somewhere in a long FAQ section on guitarsbyleo.com but I find that site hard to search - it's almost like they are stuck in the Boolean search era, like you're using Alta Vista in 1994.

Jamzpl

TDPRI Member
As my post stated, within the BBE era, the older, the better. The first 10 or 15 years of BBE management didn't do too much damage; they left most things alone, and kept prices down.

I started noticing a quality decline somewhere in the mid to late aughts, and it has only accelerated since then, IME. The "ME" in "IME" consists of about eight G&Ls purchased from that period, a solid 2/3 of which had uncharacteristic quality issues, based on their previously established reputation. Then the prices hiked quite a bit in the past 6 to 8 years, while the quality issues stayed the same, or got even worse. After my last new one, about two years ago, which had unacceptable quality issues at the price, I finally gave up on new ones, and reverted to "vintage" or early BBE only.

The pre-BBE era are top notch...but after this much time and real-world wear and tear, you have to watch out for neck issues (especially on the basses).

I have broad experience with G&Ls, across all eras. At present time, I own 25 G&Ls. I played my first circa 1990, and first owned one in 1996 (still own it). I have three early BBE era basses, and about 7 late BBE era instruments (a majority of these later ones being rare or one-off ones, so kept despite their flaws). A handful of Tributes too, one of which is better built than several of my U.S.A. ones. The rest are pre-BBE, some quite rare (El Toro, Interceptor, certain rare combos of colors and/or features, etc.). They are still my favorite guitar company, all things considered. I just would not buy a new one today.
,I am thinking of selling my Fender limited edition American Pro strat Surf Green with matching head stock lefty.. It has a natural neck. I prefer a rose wood or anything darker style neck. With your experience is there a model you suggest? I was hoping to sell for ,1500 and try to pick up a g&l strat model for 500 or so. Possible? Thanks.

Cali Dude

Tele-Afflicted
,I am thinking of selling my Fender limited edition American Pro strat Surf Green with matching head stock lefty.. It has a natural neck. I prefer a rose wood or anything darker style neck. With your experience is there a model you suggest? I was hoping to sell for ,1500 and try to pick up a g&l strat model for 500 or so. Possible? Thanks.
G&L makes several Strat inspired guitars. There is the "Legacy", "The S-500", and the "Comanche." It may be difficult to get one that is USA built for $500.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
My first electric was (is) a Tribute ASAT Special. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I love the jumbo MFD’s!
Later I got an natural ash 2-piece ASAT Classic on a stupid deal. It is beautiful and very well made. I’ve been using it a lot lately in an effort to get sounds I like from the pick ups but I’m not 100% satisfied yet. I have some Tonerider Hot Classics to try if I give up on the originals.
Coincidently, a package showed up today with another stupid deal. It’s a Tribute Legacy, my first S-type guitar. I showed it to my wife on Saturday and bragged that I was exercising restraint and was going to skip buying it. So she bought it to surprise me! (She’ll be even more surprised when the Classic Vibe Jazzmaster I ordered yesterday shows up tomorrow!)

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I'm with Chester P Squier and Sasquatchwisperer. A couple years ago I picked up a used closet queen Comanche custom shop for $1400 and it has a lot to love. So much so that I bought it on impulse.

The z coil pickups sound and look really cool. The switching on the pickups is extremely versatile. The honey colored maple cap is very pretty.

It looks like this: (image found on web)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/f2/0e/e3f20e7b5d8db8714a2a4d327732dc0d.jpg

sho is prettty, mmm mmm mmmm pretty pretty pretty

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire

You won't sell your guitar for $1,500, and you won't get a U.S.A. G&L for $500. Your guitar was $1,500 new, so expect 70 to 80 percent of that, even if it is mint...and a harder than normal sale, because it is lefty.

Your $500 G&L would have to be a used lefty import model S-500 or Legacy, and it would be a significant quality downgrade from the guitar you already own...as well as harder to locate than a righty.

I would imagine you'll get $1,000 to $1,200 for your guitar, and you could likely find a used U.S.A. Legacy or S-500 for that price, with a rosewood board, if you take your time hunting down that elusive lefty version.

Last edited:

James824

TDPRI Member
I love my current Teles (55 Thin Skin and Dave's 62) but lately been thinking about adding another Tele.

I have owned several G&L ASATs in the past and really enjoyed them. I am looking at USA ASATs now specifically for a Natural, Orange or Butterscotch finish at a reasonable price.

Looking through Reverb it seems used pricing (on Exc or Mint) are close and/or exceeding new prices.

I have also noticed as G&L is not a popular as Fender, there is a fair amount of new inventory available and dealers will make deals unlike Fender dealers who are not dealing much these days (given supply vs demand, I certainly understand this. But, as it's my money I am gonna watch it closely)

This will be a porch guitar (no gigging) so mid 7.5 to 8 will be okay.

Anyone else here recently purchased a new USA G&L and if so what's your review?

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
My one data point is a custom-built U.S.A. S-500 from 1999.

s500body.jpg

It has played more sessions than I would care to count. The build quality is absolutely outstanding and it has roved to be quite robust. After looking into the Fenders of the period I wasn't impressed and the G&Ls were more impressive. They advertised the S-500 as having a ready-to-record sound right out of the box and they aren't kidding. I have had, and want once again, a maple neck alder body Strat for its poppy sound but I love this guitar.

Bob

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I just recently bought a 2016 Tribute Fallout. Indonesian. Seems as decent or better in some ways than Fenders overseas models. I don't know if they're made in the same factory or not.

I feel like G&L's hardware is superior on the overseas models. The bridges in particular. My tone pot is loose and it's not that old. It's a coil tapped one.....

So far I like the sound but the pups are Paul Gagon Humbucker and P90.

I have no clue which I prefer between Fender and G&L. I do feel like they're different enough that you get some options that Fender doesn't do. I think Fenders just look better in general but I can't really tell you why I think that.

All I know is that to me a lot of the new MIM Fenders I play, Player series, seem like they are slipping in quality. The Vinteras are very good in general. I haven't really played any americans of either cuz they're out of my price range so my experience comes from lower end stuff. I did own an American Standard Tele for a bit and I was, meh, about it.

I've played some tribute G&Ls that didn't feel super lovely to me but could've just been set up. I've played some that seemed pretty good.

The fall out neck shape is pretty thick from what I can tell. And the nut feels wider than my Affinity Tele. But I didn't measure.

I don't really understand all the options with pups on G&Ls yet. Like they're strat models. And I'm just starting to sort of understand how I like a Fender / Squier strat set up. LOL.

I think they both can work and have their upsides and downsides. And are of similar quality. But those bridges on the G&Ls... The tribute models.. just niiiiiiice.

James824

TDPRI Member
wvgg4hn.jpg

Dealer pic.

Ordered (in stock) a new ASAT Classic in Butterscotch this afternoon.
Weighing in at a svelte 6.5lbs, it will live happily among my Thin Skins and contribute to my serenity.
Should arrive by end if the week

Last edited:

chrisdb

TDPRI Member
I have a few guitars and have been slowly thinning by style. After having my Fullerton S-500d for a couple years I gave my MIJ Stratocaster (double barrel mod) to my brother. His son is gigging with it as his main axe.
IMHO the quality, playability and tone of the G&L is just superior and made that Strat feel like a toy.
I am not a “made in USA” only or brand name only person. I’ve been playing for a lifetime (or maybe two rock n roll lifetimes) and have seen a lot of guitars come and go- my G&L is a keeper

Last edited: