G&L Tribute Fallout

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by FenderGuy53, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Can you please elaborate on the specific brand of electronics you consider junk & that of which you think are superior?
    Whats premium pricing?
    Living in the Asia Pacific
    I also have owned MIJ well before the internet. I still own the lowest model 94 Fender MIJ Tele stock with full size Alpha pots, sheilded wiring & replicated Fender spec Pickups ( which everyone has their own choice of pups for any guitar anyway) & Gotoh hardware.
    You can remain in denial but the world overtook the US 30 years ago when they gave up on their customers.

2. jamesepowell

jamesepowell TDPRI Member

The G&L Tribute Fallout is the lowest priced new G&L Tribute at both MF & GC.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

That's when they aren't running a "Stupid Deal Of the Day" or "Daily Pick" deal on the other models. That's what I was referring to. For example, GC had the Bluesboy as their Daily Pick yesterday at $299.

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Agreed. The P90 neck coupled with a Jeff Beck-spec'ed humbucker, that is able to be split, is quite a tone arsenal.

And I gotta agree that Sonic Blue with the maple fretboard looks terrific, although the gloss on that 'board is blinding!

5. FenderGuy53

Beautiful axe, jamesepowell! :)

What's the weight on it? Also, what's the spec on the 'buckers, and are they tapped? :cool:

6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I assume whatever bargain basement wire Fender Japan uses in its instruments isn't worthy of a brand name, but it's the thinnest crap I've ever seen in a guitar- this includes $99 Chinese knock-offs. Simply moving the switch wires out of the way to resolder the broken ones results in breaking more wire. I tried to pull a ground wire out of its hole under the bridge and snapped it in half. Total replacement of all wire in the instrument was the only solution.

Let's see... crap switches (I once thought a MIJ Strat had a vintage correct 3-way switch, but it was just broken), crap pots, poor shielding, REALLY crap pickups, that about covers it I think. Now that Radio Shack is out of business, pretty much anything you can find is an improvement.

Here in the US, MIJ instruments cost about the same as the upper tier MIMs (Classic and Artist series) and don't include cases or bags. This is a joke, their quality does not justify this pricing level- based on quality they should fall around MIM Standards (or below, since MIM Standards are now overpriced too).

Sounds nice- if the pickups are factory though, you don't have the "lowest model" since that would have meant ceramic pickups since only the reissue models got alnico. These days I don't think any current production CIJs have alnico pickups- not export models at any rate.

And... what does your "living in the Asia Pacific" have to do with anything? Do guitars perform differently there? If I play my Indonesian Squier in Sweden, will that make a difference? Oh, wait...

I see now- your real problem is that you have a chip on your shoulder about the United States Of America. Obviously then, you've never availed yourself of the opportunity to compare a modern US Fender instrument to current CIJ production, or you'd understand how badly Fender Japan comes off in such a comparison. And should you think I'm simply a flag-waving ignoramus, I will state that the higher end MIM instruments (the aforementioned Classic and Artist series, presumably the new and hideously named "Vintera" series as well) will eat a Japanese Fender's lunch and leave it on the ground crying.

NothingGoatboat likes this.
  7. jamesepowell

I don't know the details on the pickups. G&L's web page just calls them Paul Gagon designed. The video featured shows Paul from Guitar World playing it. Though to my ears - and through my Fender Blues Jr - this guitar sounds more like Lou from KAOS Music Centre playing it here.

I had trouble weighing it by itself, but using the weigh me holding it and subtract my weight method, it's about 8 lbs.

Included is a very nice G&L gig bag. IMG_0479.jpg

8. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Recently I was in a big guitar store and I test drove this exact model. I was pretty impressed by the value for the price, and the relative quality of it as an Indonesian guitar.

I noticed the Fallout because Robert Poss of Band of Susans used to play an earlier iteration of this model (the G&L SR-1) and he seemed to do very well with them.

They’re really light, which is great if you want a Les Paul type sound but hate boat anchor weight or want Fender-type scale length. I’m not a tapped humbucker in the bridge guy, but I liked the P90 sound in the neck position a lot.

Anyway, it was super fun to play and would be a great first guitar or cheap knock around guitar. Definitely underrated…you don’t see many people with these and it would scratch the itch if you want to be different. And if you really like them, G&L Custom Shop makes a higher quality version with better wood, hardware, and Seymour Duncans.

9. Acoustotron

Acoustotron TDPRI Member

Here’s my Fallout Tribute in clear orange. Great guitar, well-built like every other Tribute Series I’ve owned. Changed pickups to SD JB Humbucker and Pro Shop Custom P-90 but didn’t really need to— stock pickups sounded fine. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. FenderGuy53

Hey, jamesepowell, I admittedly got spooked when I heard mention of "Alice in Chains", but I checked out both videos anyway. :eek:

I like blues, jazz and rock music styles, but metal is definitely not on my radar screen. :confused:

The Fallout, with its P90/HB setup, seems to be better suited to my musical preferences, at least from what I've heard so far.

Thanks, anyway, jamesepowell. :)

11. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

I have the pac311, and as all Yamahas are, it’s very well built. The pots feel a little less robust than a MIM fender, but I’ve had zero problems. The p90 is awesome!
    45A20FF5-71E9-49D2-8DA7-99F4AD0D9BBC.jpeg

SolidSteak and Fendereedo like this.
  12. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

MIJ guitars obviously do perform differently here by your rant, even my MIK Samik outclass MIM in value for money. Here CIJ are no where near as expensive as MIA & your the first I have ever heard compain about electronics. Actually I'm sure you will find CTS & Alpha pots are manufatured in Taiwan. Never heard of any problems with switches neither so I presume these come from one source for many brands of Guitar.
    I have no problem with the US at all. Only Fender & Gibson for the fact their guitars were financially out of reach for most here in the 70's & 80's. But as soon as someone else outside makes a superior & affordable product the lies & bulls#!t starts. And apparently continues.

13. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nice to see one in a different finish than the ones I've spotted in the stores. And what you did with the pickups is essentially the pickup upgrade when you spend the money on a G&L Custom Shop Fallout, they install an SD bridge humbucker and a better P90. Not sure what else the CS optimizes, though. I think you can also get one with the G&L vibrato unit, which is probably a lot better than the one that comes with most Strats.

14. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I like that it's hardtail. It's hard to get a good hardtail Fender Strat right now; the easiest way is to get an MIM Robert Cray Strat (it also has a 12" fretboard radius).

15. jamesepowell

I'm not metal or hard rock either. Maybe that's why I never play that guitar.

16. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Had a Tribute Fallout. It was very well made and had great tones

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  17. FenderGuy53

Good to know. Thanks, bluescube. ;)

18. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I can't speak for that model but the G&L Legacy Tribute is the best guitar I've ever purchased in terms of quality in return for the dollars spent ($300 AU on special). I sold my '89 US Strat Plus Deluxe soon afterwards as it cost me 5 times the price and wasn't really better in any way except perhaps that it weighed a fair bit less.

19. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

I dont buy that. Alpha pots are pretty good, and work well. The switch is good good too, and fully functional. The o8ck ups are great on my ASAT Special Tribute too.

I'll admit, the alpha pots are way cheaper to buy than equivalent CTS pots, but have no advantages in terms of functionality. CTS feels firmer as you turn them.

Where they really skimp though, is on finishing amd QC. The body is usually fine, but the neck really make or break the instruments. In some instances, a full fret level is to be considered with tribute models.

GGardner likes this.
  20. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Mine has no issues with the neck or finish. In fact, I bought it used for $200 precisely because I loved the neck--very thin--perhaps too thin for some. And the pickups sound wonderful to my ears. It just had problems with the sound cracking and the volume not working very well--sometimes not at all. But as noted above, that was an inexpensive fix.

P.S. Here's an Andertons shoot-out video where the shredder guy really likes some G&L pickups.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.