G&L Tribute Fallout

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by FenderGuy53, Jul 10, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry... :rolleyes:

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

A splittable 'bucker and a neck P90 seems like pure fun!!!
    Sonic blue with maple fretboard for me please!!

Attached Files:

bullfrogblues and FenderGuy53 like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Musician's Friend and Guitar Center frequently sell them for $299.

4. FenderGuy53

Yep. I agree. Very nice setup.

...and Sonic Blue IS bedazzling!

5. FenderGuy53

Not to be argumentative, bgmacaw, but "frequently sell them for $299"? New Tribute Fallout's? I don't think so.

The next time you see new G&L Tribute Fallout's selling for $299 @ Musician's Friend or Guitar Center, can you send me a link? Thanks!

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I haven't seen the Fallouts on sale but I have seen the Bluesboy and ASAT quite often. I think the Legacy has been discounted a few times but that's been rare. I guess they try to blow out the higher inventory models to clear them out.

7. FenderGuy53

My fondness for G&L Tribute guitars is limited to the ASAT Special and Fallout models, due to their Saddle-Lock bridges.

Les Paul lover likes this.
  8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I apologize for my characterization of the transaction. I never had any issue with the tone. He changed the pots, switches, and wiring because the guitar (which I bought used) was making cracking/popping sounds and the volume would go from loud to off w/o much range in between (and sometimes just cut out completely). The fault lies with me, not the tech, for my short-hand description. Anyway, it plays and sounds great.

Les Paul lover likes this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

This was many years ago and I no zilch about tech stuff. But I think it was CTS pots and Switchcraft for the other parts. It was really inexpensive.

10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, couldn't get through the whole vid...don't need a lesson in the history of guitars.

But looks like a neat guitar.

11. jamesepowell

jamesepowell TDPRI Member

At this very moment, Musician's Friend is showing G&L Tribute Fallouts at $429. Same with Guitar Center.

BTW if anyone is really into G&L Tributes, I have a like new ivory white G&L Tribute Superhawk that I'd like to unload. Relevant to the OP's question, everything seems really solid on this guitar. I can't speak to the durability of the pickup switch because I just have not played it that much. It was one of those moments when I thought I needed humbuckers in my life, but it was only a passing phase.

IMG_0467.jpg

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  12. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I currently own two G&L Tributes- a Legacy and a Doheny. Both are excellent instruments- I imagine the pots and switches are typical Indonesian stuff that'll go bad in a few years, but they're fine now. I have however seen some Tribute ASATs and Legacies that had problems- QC on those seems to be somewhat variable. Musicians's Friend/Banjo Mart seems to have commissioned some lower cost models (the ones that get blown out for $300 all the time) that appear to have more QC issues than the normal Tribute series. The USA stuff is top notch in every respect, though.

I had plenty of experience with the junk electronics in Japanese Fenders long before there was an internet to tell me about it, thanks. I wouldn't even consider owning a MIJ Fender unless it was cheap enough to be worth doing an extensive rework on. The only MIJ Fender I currently own is a Jaguar bass that needed to be totally gutted to even be playable- that model was famous for being a junker so I knew it was going to be a mess going in, but I got it cheap because it was such a basket case. Even still, it was such a POS inside that it about drove me crazy. Not even Chinese Squier Affinities are THAT bad.

The wood is OK, but not better than higher end MIMs. It baffles me that anyone pays any sort of premium for these things.

13. Sax-son

Sax-son TDPRI Member

I had a US made G&L ASAT a number of years ago and although I loved the workmanship, I could never really bond with it. I really wanted to, but the neck was too thin for me and the neck pockets are not to Fender specs so I couldn't upgrade to a different one. Since then I have never looked at another one.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the look of the Fallout, and could be tempted by it. But if it is so-so on QC, not so much. I'm tired of fixing guitars, would
    prefer them to play well right out of the box.

I would recommend you consider Yamaha Pacifica series if you want this configuration, but also want something that requires zero
    tweaking of anything to be gig-ready, right out of the box. But if you are going for the looks of the Fallout, I can't really help you there....
    I have the 611 version of this guitar and it's totally awesome. Knowing Yamaha, I bet the 311 cheaper version is also quite excellent. Mine
    has a vibrato and Duncan-designed pickups but otherwise looks the same.

upload_2019-7-11_10-9-9.png

Deathray likes this.
  15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The early G&Ls (especially the Leo-era 3-bolts) tended to have skinny necks, but the modern ones are much fuller. If you see a newer one (like, from the last 20 years) give it a shot- it'll probably be a lot different than your old one. I have a '92 Legacy and a 2012 ASAT, the necks are VERY different.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I'm all for replacing a plastic nut with Bone or Tusq and also replacing a potmetal trem block with steel or brass for improved tone. Electronics: I don't really like the mini pots and sometimes the wiring could be better, but if it's working it doesn't need to be replaced. We can replace if we want to or for better tonal reasons, but it isn't necessary. We sometimes put that on buyers to replace this or that when it isn't immediately necessary(I'm guilty as well). Cheap tuners often get replaced with tuners made in the same place, but they have a known name on them and cost more. If the tuners hold the strings in tune, no need to replace.
    Some replacements are just cosmetic and that's fine

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Just to be clear, the question was phrased as " I haven't seen new G&L Trib's selling anywhere for < $300" which I took to mean ANY Tribute model, not exclusively the Fallout.

howardlo likes this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I was building a guitar awhile back and needed pickups, pickguard, switch and pots. I was short on money and picked up a loaded pickguard from a Squier Affinity Strat that someone pulled off theirs and replaced with other parts and sold on EBay. Got it for about 15 Bucks and it works great. The pots(Mini's) feel good and work good and the pickups sound like Strat singles. They may not sound like Alnico Strat pups, but they work and do sound good.
    So a supposed worthless loaded pickguard that was sold off turned out to be a good thing for me.
    Replacement isn't always the needed solution, but can be a better solution.

19. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I think I'm the first person to reply that actually owns a Tribute Fallout. Mine is Sonic Blue with a maple board and I've had it for a couple of years now.

It needed a good setup when I got it but that wasn't a big deal. As is typical with most import guitars, the electronics are the weak link but so far I haven't felt the need to replace anything on the guitar.

I don't play it all that often but it's a nice change from the usual Teles, Strats, LPs, etc. that I most often play. I got mine for about the equivalent of US$300 and it was well worth the money.

20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Congratulations. I've never played a G&L guitar, but that one is really cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.