G&L Tribute Fallout

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by FenderGuy53, Jul 10, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Does anybody currently own one of these guitars? Are the electronics reliable?

At the end of his video, this guy says he's likely to change the pickup toggle switch, tone/coil tap pot, and maybe the volume pot.

Does anyone have a Tribute Fallout? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I have a newish G&L ASAT (tele) and a newish G&L Legacy Tribute. The electronics and switches and pickups are fine in both of them. When I'm considering buying a guitar, the electronics is the least of my worries because replacing them is relatively cheap and easy. I look at fret wear and the neck joint to the body and I look for signs of abuse. G&L has a good reputation for quality.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  3. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I have a ASAT Tribute that I love. I have no idea about electronics. But my guitar tech said that the wiring and pots were "junk" and swapped them out for me. I recall him saying, in essence, "That's where they save money." The swapping out process was inexpensive. The rest of the guitar is great, easy to play, and indestructible.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Some people buy guitars made in other countries and immediately replace several parts because they assume those parts to be inferior without knowing that several parts on more expensive guitars are made by the same companies.

The only reason to replace anything is if the part is broken - doesn't work properly or causes a problem with tone or play-ability.

5. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

What is junk wire? Good wire is really cheap and insignificant compared to the rest of the guitar. Pots and switches are fairly cheap when you buy them individually. The prices that bigger manufacturers pay for mass production quantities is too low to try to save much on cheaper components. If they are cheaper, it wouldn't affect the tone until they begin to fail.

I'd be more concerned about your guitar tech than I would about components in a guitar that are working well.

6. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

That is true in some cases, and you’re right that guitarists should do a little research on the electronics; it pays off.

But in a lot of cases (say, with MIJ Fenders) you know the pots, pickups, switch, and tuners are gonna be cheap, and if you can see they’re the originals it’s well worth it to replace them with higher quality components. Just doing that can turn a dog into a nice gigging guitar.

cyclopean likes this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

MIJ Fenders have the worst factory wiring of any name brand electric guitar I've ever seen. I replace it on principle, since you'll eventually be plagued with problems like intermittent switches and ghost noises resulting from the solder joints failing. I do it when I'm replacing the pickups, since all MIJs of the last 30 years have crap pickups, too. I'll generally leave Indonesian/Chinese Squier wiring intact unless I need to change pot values, but I automatically punt MIJ stuff. It's a matter of reliability though, not "tone".

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have two Tributes, but not the Fallout.

One doesn't have a switch – just a volume knob, which has been fine. Its pickup sounds great.

The other feels like it has typical cheap-o Asian electronics. They'll be replaced eventually, when I get around to to big re-vamp on that guitar...but no problems yet. Its pickups sound like typical cheap-o, muddy Asian pickups.

Electronics are the least of ones worries, though. They are cheap and easy to upgrade. Whether or not the thing has fundamentally decent build quality is what really matters.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    FenderGuy53 likes this.
  9. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Whether or not the thing has fundamentally decent build quality is what really matters.

That’’s right. The value of the Japanese Fenders is in the woodwork. Japanese builders know how to select good quality wood. The electronics, not so much. Which is why in the mid-‘80s onward, the MIJ/CIJ Fenders were a good deal for those in the know…just upgrade the hardware and electronics and you’re good to go.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The inexpensive 3 way Gibson style switches do have a tendency to break or to stop making good contact after a few years. I've seen this on some similarly priced Epiphones and Gretsch Electromatics so I'd assume it's probably the same type of part on the G&L. There's no need for an immediate swap though.

As for the pots, they tend to vary. If they're smooth and within spec as measured by a multimeter, no need to change them. For example, the "cheap" pots in my Epiphone SG Special were spot on so I haven't swapped them while the ones in a SX Strat-oid were way off so I replaced them.

Oh, and thanks for giving me GAS for a G&L Fallout in mint green.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  11. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Total BS. Fake news!!! Oh hang on, its on the internet so I must be true.
    My apology.

howardlo likes this.
  12. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

If you guys aren't happy with USA Fender why not take advantage of the current exchange rate, get yourself a REAL guitar, & import a Little Crow Corvinho SD.

13. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

G&l tributes are very solid overall guitars. The pickups are generally well above other brands in this this price point. The pots and switches are generally the weakest link, but no worse than other guitars in this price range. The stock wiring seems weak because the rest of the guitar is so well made. Even with the cost of the wiring upgrade, Tributes are still great values. The wiring should not be a deal breaker.

My rule is never upgrade a guitar until you have bonded with it, because you never get your money back on upgrades when you sell it. :)

beyer160 and FenderGuy53 like this.
  14. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I bought an ASAt tribute ... I was really excited about it at first but over time I realized it is a piece of junk. Fret issues, continual setup issues and the electronics are only passable in my opinion.

In my opinion you are better off with a Squire or a Mexican Tele.

I was looking for a “beater” and the one I got was indeed beat although it was brand new.

I know that there are people that are really happy with theirs but in my opinion it is a crap shoot and the odds are against you. There is a reason why they can be had for less tha $300 new.

15. FenderGuy53

If you don't mind me asking, what replacement parts did he use, and how expensive was it?

16. FenderGuy53

I like your "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, Zepfan. ;)

Zepfan likes this.
  17. FenderGuy53

You're welcome! ;)

18. FenderGuy53

Encouraging words - and great advice, tlsmack! Thanks.

19. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

UUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHH Thanks...... Never seen a Fallout before......now I want one....

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  20. FenderGuy53

Perhaps one may be better off with a Mexican Tele, but better off with a Squier?

Regarding price, I haven't seen new G&L Trib's selling anywhere for < $300, new, so enlighten me, please!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.