G&L Tribute ASAT Special: Replacement Tusq Nut?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by TheOtherNeill, Sep 14, 2020.

1. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill TDPRI Member

Hi, all. I'm considering replacing the nut on my ASAT Tribute with Tusq XL, as the existing nut is getting worn down, particularly on high E, and tuning stability has worsened. An old thread suggested a model 5042 was a near-drop-in replacement, but that one has a 12" radius, and mine is 9 1/2". Graphtech thought a 5000-00, but that assumes the nut has a curved base, which I do not believe the Tribute has.

Any experience with this?

2. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

I put the tusq xl 5000/00 on my tribute bluesboy with no problems. The nut is curved but has a notch in the middle which can be used on curved or flat nut slot. Tuning is always stable with Tusq nuts I think

3. Audiotrove

Audiotrove TDPRI Member

Thought I'd bump this thread to ask a similar question. I'm not really digging the nut on my G&L ASAT Deluxe and am looking for replacement suggestions. Thanks.

4. steveb126

steveb126 NEW MEMBER!

Put one on my ASAT Tribute back in March.
    Graph Tech Tusq PQ-5000-00
    If I remember correctly it was curved but has a notch dropping down from center of curve that I assume you'd trim off if slot was curved so it dropped right in the flat slot.

5. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

I put in a Zero Glide (really a zero fret) nut in my Bullet Strat - it was very easy to install and works great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.