G&L Tribute ASAT Classic

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
Yes, as the frets were needing to be smoothed down along the sides of the neck. It wasn't as bad as some guitars I've played, where you're risking cutting your fingers, but it was noticeable. While we're on that subject, my Fender Baja, with a price tag of what, double the price, also had the same issue.

The 'used but new' in this case was someone who I don't think they played it much at all. It wasn't set up ever that I can tell. The saddles were lower than even low action would require. So it never saw a luthier/repair person. apparently purchased and then set on a stand. That's cool, but it also means getting the guitar broken in. So, over time, this guitar will improve as that process takes place.

In any case, it's a freaking great guitar, even if I'd paid as much for it as I did the Baja, or even more. I'm beyond pleasantly surprised, it's a keeper.

Les Paul lover

Tele-Holic
So did the Tribute series go through a period of bad production? Is it more that some people can't get past an inexpensive guitar made in Indonesia? Some of both? Something else?

The main issue is fret work finishing - or lack of, an issue common to most guitars coming from Indonesia or China.

You did the right thing. You bought it with the intent to get the fret work finished.

A lot of people will expect the guitar to be perfect out of the box and that's usually not the case.

I've had a number of Squier, Washburn, G&L Tribute, they all needed fret work for a perfect set up.

I've got 2 G&L tribute, an ASAT Classic and an ASAT Special. Both are great now.
Love the regular and jumbo MFD pick ups too!!!

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
The main issue is fret work finishing - or lack of, an issue common to most guitars coming from Indonesia or China.

You did the right thing. You bought it with the intent to get the fret work finished.

A lot of people will expect the guitar to be perfect out of the box and that's usually not the case.

I've had a number of Squier, Washburn, G&L Tribute, they all needed fret work for a perfect set up.

I've got 2 G&L tribute, an ASAT Classic and an ASAT Special. Both are great now.
Love the regular and jumbo MFD pick ups too!!!
Well, like I mentioned, even my Fender Baja had the same issue as the G&L. I never expect it to be perfect right out of the box, unless (maybe) it's a brand new USA G&L, or a smaller company like Zion, Anderson and the like. Even then, sometimes stuff happens.