G&L Tribute ASAT Classic thinline age and specs?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Craig Williams, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Just bought a secondhand Tribute Asat Thinline. Serial number 100600XXX I assume is 2010 model.
    Can someone confirm the age and also what the spec would have been back then? It has the MFD's in it. I notice the new ones spec they say Basswood body and the PU are described as "designed by Leo Fender" but they don't say made in Fullerton US. I thought these older ASAT Classic Thinlines were Ash? Maybe that's only the Bluesboys?

Can someone tell me the age of the guitar and likely body wood and manufacture / origin of pick ups please?

Attached Files:

2. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

I think you're correct re:Bluesboys. My 2014 semi is... Ash in Blonde white.

Can't say de facto but...
    I think I remember the other ASAT Classics back then we're Alder.

I certainly don't recall Basswood in the, ASAT range going back in time. Also, mine has a Rosewood board, which I suspect is no longer an option too.

Regarding the serial number .... I'd agree it's a 2010. My first 4 digits are 1407 .. ie 2014, July, .... so presume yours will be June 2010 rest of the numbers are the factory run number.
    It'll almost certainly be MFD pickups - shrill and nasty imo. Search this pickup database.

There's a G&L forum that's is useful for all this sort of stuff .... but not terribly freindly/easy to use, imo.
    Search something like .... Guitars By Leo ;)

Great guitars for the money build & finish quality ... although I hated and changed the pickups in mine.
    Speaking of which:

ASAT 2 sized600.jpg

Blister, Fiesta Red and bls82261 like this.
  3. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I can’t offer much or any help in the way of info, but it looks great, and I hope that it serves you well. Enjoy.

Blister and Festofish like this.
  4. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Yes you are not wrong. Like a website from the mid 90s and unfortunately very few replies except from the Webmaster who is a nice guy, but yeah the site is archaic. Always takes me 30 minutes to work out how to post photos.

The guitar should be nice. I am probably going to go all G&L. I have and have had a few of them now and even the Indonesian ones far surpass anything out there, particularly for the money. US pick ups standard, and good PU too. I love the MFD picks ups on my S500. I had a couple of US G&L's as well and really couldn't see any improvement in build / finish / hardware quality than the Indonesian ones, apart from the case candy. Not to say there is anything wrong with the US ones, its just the Tributes are sooooo good. They sound great, are great to play and are so easy to set up with a micro low action.

Buy a new US "name" brand guitar for $1500 and first thing you need to do is spend another $200-$300 on decent pick ups, which they are happy to sell aftermarket. The Mex ones I have had are ok but PU and hardware rubbish, to be honest I would prefer a Classic Vibe.

Blister and Telecastoff1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.