1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G & L Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GAdair, Feb 15, 2010.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Eric, I would figure that this bizarre jack design has cost G + L thousands and thousands of conversions. I've had no trouble with either of mine but I am certain there'd be a lot more potential customers, especially pros, if this feature had been ditched.

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Cool, you having a Leap Year in Arizona?

We're not due one for a couple of years!! :(

3. minmei

minmei TDPRI Member

Wow amazing, google and you guys are my net friends!

I ggl'd, thought Fender was real, but Leo jumped ship to musicman and then G&L. I looked up Gibson and something similar happened to them.

I feel weird, a bit betrayed, but not enough to hate them. It's like when they give you a wrong order at a restaurant. Both dishes work b/c the restaurant is good, but its not what you expected.

Oh well it does make for a hollywood saga movie.

Wouldn't be surprising, they had that alt.newsgroups bulletin board that made the 90's internet feel old, going until now. I suspect the admin was still using Netscape Navigator on AOL dial up :twisted: and in 2010 realized DSL or cable, google, youtube and IE 7 / firefox / chrome existed

[​IMG]

Yes I can be cold

4. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

HEY I just on on firefox, not sure why :rolleyes: & dint like chrome

Dont tell me... you were one of the bootees? :p :rolleyes:

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I've read that on the internet too.

Kinda juvenile though, when you consider copyright law and the way the grown-up, real world actually works. ;)

6. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

:lol:

Actually, It was the guitar playing user base that was the hold up. They liked the small tight knit community they had there and were afraid that the forum upgrade would turn them into just another guitar oriented internet forum. They felt that the old format helped keep out the riff raff. G&L top level people actively participate on the forum as well, have a problem? get an answer from someone who gives a damn.
    The admin uses chrome.

7. roscoe10

roscoe10 Tele-Meister

As far as the "jack problem" on G&L's -- how many people have switched to Electro-Socket jacks on Teles because the original was always loose?

8. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

Legit question that will get promptly ignored.

You can modify the hell out of a Fender because you don't like the way it came from the factory and no one says anything, but mention G&L and "the jacks suck" or "the pickups suck" "I would never own one"... Here is my all time favorite "the necks are all different" :rolleyes: Uh, yeah, they have like 10 neck options to choose from... Thats a GOOD thing...

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/gAndLCustomOption.html

9. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry I got weirded out by the posts about Fender 'vibe' and G&L not being it, and another about G&L is a copy of a Fender and what not. Like another post in another thread, nothing good or constructive to say, I will say nothing.

Blood boiling a little bit.

10. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Well, I'm a G&L fan as well as a Fender fan and, in my opinion, both companies continue to produce some great guitars. However, I tend to believe that the "Leo-era" G&Ls are more true to Leo's latest creations than their later BBE counterparts, for the BBE models seem to be much more akin to the original Fenders in many respects, especially when considering the Legacy and the ASAT Classic models. I suspect this is primarily for the reason of producing more sales. And yes, I'm aware that the ASAT Classic was originally produced under Leo's watch but, from what I understand, Leo wasn't particularly happy with this decision. Still, BBE is producing some pretty darn nice guitars for the price of them. On the other hand, many of Fender's newer Teles are great guitars as well while the reissues simulate the original '50s Teles very well. In some respects, it could be said that the newer ones are even built much better than the originals. I'm not partial to either company, for I love both, but the controversy over which is better or what's more correct could very well go on for a very long time. The primary differences between the T-styles essentially lie within the pickups, but that's not to say that you can't swap out a set of MFDs in a G&L for a set of Don Mares, Fralins, Lollars, or even Fender's OV or Nocaster pups. BTW, I've owned about 15 G&Ls over the years, and I have yet to have a problem with the output jack.

Regarding the new G&LDP forum website, I think it's worth checking out these days. I actually think it's quite humorous to see some of the "old-timers" there trying to adapt to a new forum software format. These are the same folks that have been reluctant to change for many years now, but now they're forced to either adapt or fade away, and the former seems to be taking precedence. Plus, many newer members have arrived in the past couple of years, and from what I can tell, it seems to have become a little more open-minded.

11. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

You will notice, I have never said one was better than the other because I like both as well. They are all great guitars in their own right. I grow tired of the "not real" argument.
    Leo was a major influence in three guitar companies, not just one.

12. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Yeap, I wholeheartedly agree with you, Targ! I'm really only commenting over the general comments that have been made throughout this thread.

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Add me to the low rumble of folks requesting an extra channel...

I don't think it needs to be specifically G&L, I'd love to see a "non-Fender" T-type channel where all T-types that were not Fenders could be discussed. I have a G&L ASAT Classic that I love, and I also have a bunch of Peavey Generations too. Personally I think the ASAT Classic is much closer to a Telecaster than my Peavey's, but all of them are closer to a Tele than they are to a Strat or a Lester.

My ASAT Classic, aka "Casper"... I got her on a Friday the 13th:

[​IMG]

14. TeleSpeed

TeleSpeed TDPRI Member

Here's a 1987 Leo Fender Signature ASAT I have. This guitar defines quality. It's surprisingly light and has a beautiful bell-like tone. There's absolutely zero hum or noise from the guitar, perhaps because it has the early metal (aluminum) pickguard, I'm not sure why. It's one of my favorite guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's a bit of G&L ASAT history from the GGJaguar website.

16. boris bubbanov

Since we have a quorum of G + L affionados ( I hope ) I'd like to pose a question.

I've got 2 ASAT Classics and they happen to have the 12" radius and not the 7.5 radius.

The bridgeplate is stamped "12". Can anyone confirm that this plate is different than the one that would go on the 7.5 inch radius version?

Much obliged.

17. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Hey Boris.....I checked my ASAT Classic bridgeplate, and mine reads number 12 as well. It also has a 12" radius. However, my ASAT Classic Bluesboy has a 7.5" radius, but it has number 12 stamped on the bridgeplate, too. Funny, but I never noticed this before. Interesting question........

18. boris bubbanov

Maybe they INTENDED to use two different plates but the need was too insignificant. I can well see the need for different length saddle height hardware. It would be a neat way to allow a harried vendor to do a quick inventory check using hired help, if the clerk could just read a number instead of trying to judge which radius a guitar neck had at a glance.

Thanks!!

19. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

I stand to be corrected. Thanks, Jack!

20. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

True! But, I should also add that my Bluesboy has a bit of a weird history, some of which I know nothing about, so it could have very well been manufactured for a 12" radius neck. When I bought the guitar, it came with the 7.5" neck, but the pickup routings had been hacked away for some reason. Long story short, Dave McLaren was kind enough to give me a new body - even for being a used guitar - but I always suspected that someone had thrown the guitar together from parts and sold it as is. In addition, once the guitar was returned back to me from G&L, I replaced the height adjustment screws on the outer saddles in favor of some shorter ones. This would also indicate that the bridge might have been intended to be manufactured for a 12" radius guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.