1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G & L Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GAdair, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree that a G&L ASAT forum would be good here. I think the Guitars by Leo G&L forum really sucks.

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

G&L are not Teles...sorry, only Fender makes a Telecaster, everyone else copies the original design...hth

3. sa paine

sa paine Tele-Holic

Well, the truth is, Leo was the man when it comes to the Tele. Let us also not forget George Fullerton.........:cool: (G&L)

4. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Actually, everything produced since Leo sold Fender has been copies ;)
    D F

5. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Maybe it is just me, but i feel they are (not the ASAT models) over priced for guitars that are not as popular.

Like i said, maybe it is just me who feels this way, but if a less poplar brand wants my attention, they need to be much cheaper than the "Big Brands".

I will look at the G&L Classic Blues Boy (like the one in the ProGuitarShop Youtube clips in post #3) if they are are well below $1000.00.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/guitars/asat-classic-bluesboy/index.asp

In other words, i will pay $2000.00 for a GIBSON Les Paul, but i will NOT pay 2K for a Hondo guitar that looks very, simmilar to a Les Paul.

Maybe i have a twisted view, but that is how i feel right now.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's funny; I had no idea Les Paul had ever left Gibson behind and gone on to found Hondo guitar brand.

:D

You betcha, your way is twisted. G + L = George and Leo = George Fullerton and THE Leo Fender. The real question is, are "Fender" label guitars the real deal. G + L was the brand Leo Fender was building and selling when he passed away. His widow stills signs off on the Certificates of Authenticity. Can't get more genuine than that.

7. TwangGuru

TwangGuru TDPRI Member

I have several ASAT's, three 1986 and one 1987, one recent "Trinity", a Buffalo Brothers special item. IMHO, the older ASATs are the best... I like the feel of the neck, the somewhat darker tone of the pickups (mine are all MFDs). The candy apple red finish on my 1987 is PEELING -- I'm not too crazy about that, but it's not like it hasn't been played on several thousand gigs. It still plays and sounds great. I'm told that the Tribute series are good if you play 'em first, be sure you get a good one. The consistency is not what you might find with the US guitars. The G&L guys tell me that ASAT's take 9 man-hours to make, and production line Fender Teles take 45 man-minutes. Anyone else heard this?

8. JazzTwanger

JazzTwanger Tele-Meister

Owned a blueburst, rosewood board ASAT special about four years ago or so. It was a nice guitar, for sure. The rectangular MFD pickups were tele-esque, but with a little more girth. The hardware, finish, and playability were all top-notch. Only complaint really was that the swamp ash body was pretty hefty for a tele (at least I'm pretty sure it was swamp ash), and I've heard that a lot of G&Ls err on the side of heavy.

9. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

Like many have said. Theyre not Teles. Having had both I would have to say the the build quality on G&Ls is about the same as the Deluxe. The biggest issue for many (me included) is the MFD pups. There seems to be a big love/hate relationship. They sound some what like Lindry Fralins with some extra twang thrown in.

My two​

[​IMG]
    Classic S
    Changed pups to CS TEX Mex with S-D SSL 1

[​IMG]
    Deluxe Custom Ordered to my spec
    Loaded with TV Jones Classic & Custom wiring

10. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

All true . . .

. . . but only when the G&L product reaches Fender-desirability, will i pay Fender-prices for a G&L product.

;)

11. sa paine

sa paine Tele-Holic

That is the great thing about G&L, they are very reasonably priced on the used market.

12. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn TDPRI Member

What about a Hondo aka: Tokai that IS a "Les Paul" yeah some go for over 2k a rare and highly desirable LP ... they only got away with it for a short time and later changed the name to Love Rock

[​IMG]

As for the G&Ls ... I've been a Tele kinda guy since my 1st one, a 1965 sunburst with binding ... currently a G&L fills my Tele style needs better than any previous "real Tele" I have ever owned. From day one I always desired a Tele with more grunt and girth, for playing blues, it's a custom order from the days before they were offically called "Blues Boys" ... paid $700.00 for it new at the dealer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] ...

13. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

Strange

That's the strangest G&L neck pup I've ever seen.
    Is it one of those Z pups ?

JJ

14. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn TDPRI Member

It's a Lindy Fralin P-92 I had retro-fitted in 09 ... perfect match for the stock bridge pickup! It comes in two versions the P-90 style I have and the "Twangmaster" that has Alnico magnets ...

Mine was ordered in black plastic to match and blend with the black pickguard

[​IMG]

15. pistolsteve

pistolsteve Tele-Meister

there was a rift over at the Guitars by Leo forum a while back, which resulted in a new G&L message board. Much more user-friendly than the old G&LDP, but not a ton of traffic.

I'd post a link, but not sure how that would sit with the admins of this site. Google would probably get you there.

16. sa paine

sa paine Tele-Holic

I agree, not much about G&L guitars on it..

17. nrand

nrand Friend of Leo's

+1 - generally not as objective as TDPRI either

18. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

I think a ASAT area would be good here. It was Leo's last T body!

19. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

Thats because it was a beta, The new board goes live this Monday Feb 29th.

20. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

Been a member over there for more than ten years. the general consensuses about the jacks was that some cords fit better than others, in other words, some of the plugs were smaller than others making them easier to pull out.
    The fact that they have posted in the FAQ section a how to replace the jacks was for information only. Just as people have posted information on how to replace Fender pickups all over the internet. Not because they are faulty, just because people want to know. Things wear out and need replacement.
    The complaints about the pickups is just plain stupid, I would bet as a percentage made, that more fender pickups are replaced than G&Ls.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.