G & L Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GAdair, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Tele-Meister

I had a USA made ASAT Classic for about 3 months. For 2 of those 3 months I made countless foolish statements like "This is the best guitar I've ever played" and "This is better than custom shop Fender...blah blah blah."

In reality, I found that I just could not bond with the guitar at all...it was missing that something. Real nice, outstanding build quality(although I was didappointed in the fret work...sharp edges)....but something about it. It may sound crazy, but the G&L was almost TOO solid.....kinda stiff in a strange way. Too refined. Most Fenders I've played felt like a nice pair of broken in jeans.....

The other thing I think about is this...for all the high praise and outlandish statements that are made when comparing G&L's to Fender, why then do we not see more big time guitarists playing them instead of Fender? Certainly for big time players, who can afford and play the best of the best, you would think they would choose G&L overwhelmingly if the statements made on web boards were indeed true. Just a thought.

I am in no way bashing G&L...obviously plenty of people love them and they are indeed fine guitars. Some of the statements made regarding them being WAY better than American fenders are a little overboard. Just my dopey opinion.:cool:

2. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You are correct sir. That's why in recent years, G&L serial numbers begin with CLF.

3. hal

hal Tele-Afflicted

4. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

Don't mean to throw a wrench into the ASAT/ASAT Classic thing but there is this too.Plays like a dream and incredible build quality. Not a Tele in the least but a fine guitar none the less.

Attached Files:

5. Anwar

Anwar Tele-Meister

Actually They (G&L ASAT) dont have the range of a classic 2 pup Telecaster by design. The Bridge pickup is a little woodier like a p-90 and not a SC in a metal support and the neck pick up is made to have higher output so it's actually crisper, In comparison classic Tele pups are underwound but have a little better range.

6. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

No monkey wrench at all, they made in addition the ASAT III, the ASAT Jr. the ASAT Deluxe... I could go on, but the point is when comparing it you need to specify which one you are talking about.

beautiful guitar by the way :D

Some are heavier than others... Same with fender.

Fret sprout, happens to all guitars including my custom shop Fender Tele, which just got back from having that fixed. My thin skin Jazzmaster needs to go in next for the same problem.

7. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

True, true. Different pickups sound different. That is why so many change out there stock pickups for aftermarket options. Fender telecasters are not immune from this tendency either.
    Once again, you are comparing the "ASAT" to the telecaster, they are different guitars with different goals. They were never intended to be the same. You will find the "ASAT Classic" a much closer comparison, but still different.

Out of all my guitars, My ASAT Jr. is the one that I have never had to do anything to but strings 10 years running now. Each and every one of my others have needed something in the line of maintenance.

Gibson Firebird, truss rod adjustment, intonation, bridge height
    Gibson custom shop Les paul, Nut work
    Fender Custom Shop tele, intonation, fret sprout
    Fender Jazzmaster, bridge replaced (self lowering), fret sprout
    Fender Strat, intonation and nut work
    Gretsch, bad switch
    Ric 340, bridge adjustment (self lowering)
    Ric 660-12, intonation, truss rod adjustment.

8. sa paine

sa paine Tele-Holic

I've had a few ASAT classics over the years, all great guitars. Like many have said in this thread, they are not exactly like Telecasters but I had one a few years ago that was amazing. Actually I've had two that I wish I still had. One of them had a neck pup sound (IMO) to die for and another that had a bridge pup sound that just nailed the classic / vintage tele sound. both had the stock MFD's. Like all guitars, you might want to play a few of them to find the one for you .

9. getrguy1

getrguy1 Tele-Holic

I bought an Asat Classic a while back. I was telling a friend about how good it played & sounded and he responded with "Now you've got a real Fender"

10. go77

go77 TDPRI Member

They have their own sound. I toured for 3 years w/ an ASAT Classic. I usually mod all my guitars. The G+L .. never even opened the back plate. Never let me down always sounded killer. Good luck.

11. PaulBrennan

PaulBrennan TDPRI Member

Very well constructed guitars. If you're a country player you probably won't like the pickups. Ceramic magnets give high output but it's at the expense of the sweetness you get from Alnico 2 magnets. I've had two G&L's and I've had to replace the pickups on both of them - just too hard/harsh sounding for my liking.

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

um, I don't care if they're switchcraft or not... they have a higher-than-normal rate of crapping out. Just go over to the www.guitarsbyleo.com site (a G&L enthusiast site) and pop the question, see what kind of response you get.

They actually posted a 'how-to' at that site (run by G&L) on how to switch out the jack versus actually addressing the issue. That alone will keep me from ever buying another G&L right there. Nice guitars, but there are too many nice Fenders out there, I'll stick with them.

13. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

This is my number one guitar - an early 00's ASAT Special. It's just a fantastic, hugely versatile guitar. If there's better pickups out there than the MFD soapbars, I'd sure like to hear them.

US G&Ls are every bit as good as Fender Custom Shop guitars, I think. Yet at a fraction of the price. Wonderfully well built instruments.

[​IMG]

14. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

LOOBS that is a beautiful specimen of an ASAT. Bet it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

15. Thinliner

Thinliner Tele-Meister

I'm a fairly new G&L owner myself. Lovin mine so far, really glad I bought it

Here's a pic,

[​IMG]

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Sweet looking axes. Anyone got a clip of the MFD pickups? I found this a few weeks ago, it's a ASAT Classic Vibe:

[​IMG]

Bridge p/u (no, they're not GFS Fatbodys):

[​IMG]

They are the same p/u's from a G&L, look just like this (ASAT Classic):

[​IMG]

....in a Squier Classic Vibe. Can't decide whether to swap 'em as they sound amazing with a 'lil dirt.

17. TWANGNUT

TWANGNUT Tele-Holic

I'd LOVE to see a G & L channel added! They're similar but different instruments than a Fender. They are very appreciated/respected, and alot more people has em'than you think. ;)

18. TWANGNUT

TWANGNUT Tele-Holic

ATTENTION! Mr. Mark Davis

Pics of that G & l collection would be really nice to see! :D

19. sa paine

sa paine Tele-Holic

ya mean like a G&L forum from the main page of TDPRI ?

I thnk that would be awesome !!

20. TWANGNUT

TWANGNUT Tele-Holic

Yep! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.