1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G & L Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GAdair, Feb 15, 2010.

1. bluebilly

bluebilly Tele-Meister

ASAT classics can be great guitars! The older the better. Some of the best have 3 bolt necks with a neck tilt set screw. (verry cool) Also if it is a maple board you'll notice that it has no fingerboard. No skunk stripe. They split the neck legnthwise and install the truss rod then, glue it up. This is great because there isn't a glue joint between the fingerboard and the neck (better tone transfer) Also I need to disagree with a previous comment about the pups not being any good. IMHO G&L (I'm speaking of older USA modles) have some of the best pickups ever made. Ceramic magnets, adjustable pole pices and SMOKIN' TONE. I havn't seen the guitar you are talking about but, I'd buy up asat classics @ $600 all day long.

2. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

My no1 since 95 a U.S ASAT Special, been a fantastic guitar and still is.

[​IMG]

3. nrand

nrand Friend of Leo's

Mine is a USA ASAT Special Semihollow from Buffalo Brothers circa 2000. I can get excellent tones ranging from Keith Richards to Jazz - a really fine guitar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  4. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

we have the MIJ Tributes here, never saw an MIK or any of the Indonesians in this city.

5. sa paine

sa paine Tele-Holic

Sweet looking guitar !

6. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I'm a hardcore Fender enthusiast so it is basically impossible for me to enjoy another guitar brand more than Fender which I consider the real deal.G&L's are good guitars but just don't channel the same vibe to me that a good Fender Tele can...they just seem bland.They don't look as nice and the playabilty doesn't channel to me the definitive Tele vibe and language.There is just a unique sophisticated blend of raw charisma and playability that comes through in a real Fender.G&L's seem to pale in this respect to me.Sure you can argue that they have their own vibe and that is fine for whoever gets excited by that vibe.For me though,G&L's are to Fender like what PRS is to Gibson....a company very inspired by another's legacy but that have mutated into something that is just not as exciting or magical as the original.No offense to anyone!!!

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like G&Ls...

....but I disagree that their quality is consistently better than American-made Fenders. In fact, I don't find their quality to be notably better than Mexican Fenders (not in my experience). I've owned about 10-15 G&Ls, including a couple of the imports which were nice too.

The ASATs come stock with high-output ceramic "MFD" pickups; I like them sometimes, but find they sound harsh and brittle with some amps. They do have extremely good clarity.

The ASATs that are more like the conventional Tele design with the traditional bridge design seem to be more prone to microphonic feedback in high-vol/higher-gain situations. I draw this conclusion from a lot of questions and comments re: this issue over at the guitarsbyleo.com discussion page.

G&L has had a known jack input issue on the ASAT forever and has failed to address (at least as of a couple years ago, maybe they have now, I don't know). I always found that sort of disappointing.

Overall, good guitars and a different flavor than the Fender Tele.

8. nickrom

nickrom Tele-Meister

I have a Tribute ASAT Classic that I picked up for $400 in '07 and I love it. After having owned about 75 guitars over time - this is the one that worked for me. I love the quality, the sound and the feel. It will do anything I ask it to and the playability inspires me to want to play more. I've played a hundred guitars since then wondering if there was something different, better or more - and this one stays.

9. Anwar

Anwar Tele-Meister

Awesome guitars, funny looking headstock, pickups are exceptionally clean yet loud for a SC. I have a set of SCN's on my partscaster but will go with the G&Ls asat I mean asap...

10. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Very well made- but like ANY guitar, you gotta try it out for its sound.

Too many out there with a little too skinny necks/7.25 radius necks

I happen to have a Trbute ASAT CLassic that definitely sounds better than the USA one I hade in the late 90's. You just don't know 'til you play it

/

11. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

As long as you understand they are not tele's they are greta. Where people get in trouble is when they think they've got a tele with an ASAT. They may look similar, but that's where it ends. Had the world been introduced to ASATs first like the tele, then we'd all love ASATs because that would represent the sound that we love in tele's.

I can tell you from experience owning one will NOT satisfy your GAS for a Tele.
    Other than that they are great guitars and my second favorite.

12. GAdair

GAdair TDPRI Member

Great looking guitar. In reading up about teles though, I thought that the metal housing around the bridge pickup was what really helped give it the signature sound? Some of these G&L's have no metal plate. Is that why some of you don't like the tone? Seems like if it is not there, it would make a very significant change to the sound and tone.

13. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Actually it was Leo Fender himself that started G&L, and he was very proud of his work there before he died. You can read up a little here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G&L_Musical_Instruments

14. lumco

lumco Banned

G&L

I have 2 ASAT's and 1 Legacy.. Great guitars for the money. My ASAT's are older models and I really like them. Changed out the pickups over the years but playability for the price cant beat it. I have bought several other ASAT's and gave to nephews to play and they like them also..

15. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

lots of misconceptions/wrong answers on here.

Don't like the necks? They have more neck/fret options than you can shake a stick at, this is a GOOD thing! You can get exactly what you want!

The "ASAT" is not a Tele, It has the big MFD pickups (fantastic)

The "ASAT Classic" is more like a tele. If there isn't the metal plate, it is a different model so the apples/oranges argument applies.

Leo Fender started the company, so "Fender Vibe" applies, whatever that is :eek:

The bi-cut neck is no more.

OP never said if he was looking at a tribute or not. Tributes are imports.

They use Switchcraft Jacks. These ARE high quality Jacks, used by many guitar manufactures.

G&L is to Fender as PRS is to Gibson... well many would make the argument that just says they are better guitars.
    Personally I like them all.

Next thing I expect to hear is that ASAT stands for "after strat after tele" even though that rumor has been disproved a hundred times. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  16. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't think comparing a Telecaster to an ASAT Classic is like comparing apples to oranges............. More like comparing a Granny Smith to a Golden Delicious .......... or vice versa.

Comparing a Telecaster to a Les Paul ............ that's more of an apples to oranges comparison.

17. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

Like I said,

No Metal plate= Not an ASAT Classic. Thus a "different model"

Too many are using "ASAT" and "ASAT Classic" as interchangeable and they are not. They are completely different guitars. This confuses the uniformed i.e. the OP who is asking the question.

18. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

I have never even had to adjust the truss rod on my ASAT, it virtually stays in tune all the times, never had a problem with the output Jack but i had to rewind the bridge pickup after its gave up mid song whilst touring, other than that its been a hard working guitar with some great tones that i prefer to the tele thinline that i sold.

19. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Targ .............. Looks like I misread you earlier statement. In another thread someone used the apples to oranges argument regarding Telecasters and ASAT Classics. I was recycling my earlier response.

20. Codinho

Codinho Tele-Meister

I think you missed a subtle joke here. Clarence Leo is Leo Fender. The guy you quoted was well aware of that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.